Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Who is planning on going? This year should be great, so many good and decent teams to watch.

Some single session tickets were released today: https://twitter.com/pac12/status/699654533761396736

We are buying a tournament package from the U ticket office, but will probably not be able to make the Wednesday session. If anyone is interested in buying a couple of Wednesday session tickets at a discounted price, let me know. I won't know seat locations or price for a couple of weeks.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Who is planning on going? This year should be great, so many good and decent teams to watch.

Some single session tickets were released today: https://twitter.com/pac12/status/699654533761396736

We are buying a tournament package from the U ticket office, but will probably not be able to make the Wednesday session. If anyone is interested in buying a couple of Wednesday session tickets at a discounted price, let me know. I won't know seat locations or price for a couple of weeks.
    Mormon Red Death & I are regulars.
    I too am hoping for a Wednesday bye.

We're hoping to catch some MWC tourney games too.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Went last year and had a blast. Looking unlikely this year.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll be there again this year. Likely have to head home before the championship game on Saturday regardless of what teams are playing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I'll be there again this year. Likely have to head home before the championship game on Saturday regardless of what teams are playing.

That's what you said last year.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    That's what you said last year.
    Yeah it was true last year too (although missing that beat down by Arizona wasn't that sad)

Having a whole gaggle of kids and a wife who is in the Pri Presidency is not a good combo for leisurely Sunday flights back to Eugene and staying happily married.

We got our tickets, They are in the Utah section, about like sitting close to mid-court on the top row of the lower bowl in the Huntsman center.

We are going to hold onto our Wednesday tickets. If the weather in St George is not golf worthy, we may drive down to take in some of the games. If the weather is good, we'll likely stay and golf, and send the tickets down with some friends to see if they can scalp for us. Face value is $57.50 per session (two games per session). If scalping, I'd be happy to get $20 each for them.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

We got our tickets, They are in the Utah section, about like sitting close to mid-court on the top row of the lower bowl in the Huntsman center.

We are going to hold onto our Wednesday tickets. If the weather in St George is not golf worthy, we may drive down to take in some of the games. If the weather is good, we'll likely stay and golf, and send the tickets down with some friends to see if they can scalp for us. Face value is $57.50 per session (two games per session). If scalping, I'd be happy to get $20 each for them.
    Scalping tickets to the tourney games is easier said than done. There are ticket brokers around and we used one of them last year, but you can't just hang out next to the ticket counter at the MGM. MRD will remember the process better than I do.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

Blog Entries
    Yeah it was true last year too (although missing that beat down by Arizona wasn't that sad)

Having a whole gaggle of kids and a wife who is in the Pri Presidency is not a good combo for leisurely Sunday flights back to Eugene and staying happily married.
    Unfortunately other life circumstances has gotten in the way and I won't be getting to go this year. I hope you guys have a great experience until you play the Oregon. I look forward to going next year and hopefully meeting up with some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Scalping tickets to the tourney games is easier said than done. There are ticket brokers around and we used one of them last year, but you can't just hang out next to the ticket counter at the MGM. MRD will remember the process better than I do.
    Last year after losing in the semifinals my buddy put our finals tickets on Craig's list. Had an Arizona buyer within an hour.

I I have work on Wednesday. If things are light I'll try to make it down Thursday. We'll see.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Last year after losing in the semifinals my buddy put our finals tickets on Craig's list. Had an Arizona buyer within an hour.

I I have work on Wednesday. If things are light I'll try to make it down Thursday. We'll see.
    We did the same thing. The azholes will come out in full force

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    We did the same thing. The azholes will come out in full force

From second-hand accounts, it seems like Vegas is dominated by fans from Utah, Arizona and whatever the third school du jour is. I expect Cal fans to be out in full force.

So here's the day 1 schedule:

8) Washington vs. 9) Stanford - High Noon, PT

5) Colorado vs. 12) WSU - 2:30, PT

7) USC vs. 10) UCLA - 6:00 PM, PT

6) OSU vs. 11) ASU - 8:30 PM, PT

Hard to see very many upsets in these first round games. The most likely would seem to be he USC/UCLA game, which we'll be watching with some interest. I could also see ASU giving OSU a run for its money, but ultimately, the Beavers advance.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

On the plane heading to Vegas!

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    On the plane heading to Vegas!

At 2:53 in the morning? Where are you flying out of, Mogadishu?

Worried about Cal. They're at full strength and they had Arizona on the ropes at McKale late. They would be a lot of people's picks to win it all if they won that game.

That said, I think the Utah-Cal winner (assuming it happens) wins it all. Oregon's not good enough to beat us three straight times, and on a neutral floor, Cal is better than both Arizona and Oregon. In fact, I don't think Arizona makes it past their semifinal game against Colorado. Chalk can't hold up entirely through the semifinals.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Oregon's not good enough to beat us three straight times
    I don't know about this. Oregon is awfully good. They score and rebound, and they have a center who has given Poeltl some trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't know about this. Oregon is awfully good. They score and rebound, and they have a center who has given Poeltl some trouble.
    and they are not a good match up for us overall; havent been for several years.

This is a fun read from PACHoops:

http://pachoops.com/2016/03/pac-12-s...e-i-was-wrong/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Blog Entries
    Really envious of you guys that are down there this weekend, throw the dice a couple of times for me!

Really envious of you guys that are down there this weekend, throw the dice a couple of times for me!
    Preferably at Sean Miller's head.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Worried about Cal. They're at full strength and they had Arizona on the ropes at McKale late. They would be a lot of people's picks to win it all if they won that game.

That said, I think the Utah-Cal winner (assuming it happens) wins it all. Oregon's not good enough to beat us three straight times, and on a neutral floor, Cal is better than both Arizona and Oregon. In fact, I don't think Arizona makes it past their semifinal game against Colorado. Chalk can't hold up entirely through the semifinals.
    Feel similarly about Cal, they've been en fuego since Wallace returned, someone we didn't have to face in SLC. Their one loss was that late meltdown at McKale, in which we were all reminder that Cuonzo Martin (with his "associates") is a great recruiter and mediocre coach. So I guess if Utah gets into a close game with Cal we can look for a solid edge in the coaching department (then again, closing out close games isn't exactly our strength).

On Saturday a lot of Ute fans on twitter were flipping out when it looked like Cal might lose to ASU and we'd get Arizona in the semis. I get not wanting to play at McKale North but I think Cal is the better team of the two right now. I guess it's really tough either way.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Feel similarly about Cal, they've been en fuego since Wallace returned, someone we didn't have to face in SLC. Their one loss was that late meltdown at McKale, in which we were all reminder that Cuonzo Martin (with his "associates") is a great recruiter and mediocre coach. So I guess if Utah gets into a close game with Cal we can look for a solid edge in the coaching department (then again, closing out close games isn't exactly our strength).

On Saturday a lot of Ute fans on twitter were flipping out when it looked like Cal might lose to ASU and we'd get Arizona in the semis. I get not wanting to play at McKale North but I think Cal is the better team of the two right now. I guess it's really tough either way.
    I just hope we can impress Tom Holmoe with our performance.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Washington has blitzed Stanford to start the game. 22-5 run to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    At 2:53 in the morning? Where are you flying out of, Mogadishu?
    Got in to Vegas at 9:30am and I flew from North Carolina

I am of the opinion that our "error margin" is much, much smaller than those of other teams (e.g. Oregon, Cal, UA). Our execution has to lead the way because our overall talent level is lower, sans the Big Austrian, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    I am of the opinion that our "error margin" is much, much smaller than those of other teams (e.g. Oregon, Cal, UA). Our execution has to lead the way because our overall talent level is lower, sans the Big Austrian, of course.
    I think you nailed it.

--Yeats

This deal about Martin being a mediocre coach needs to stop. He's had two top 20 defenses (his last year at Tennessee, this year at Cal) in the last three years, per Pomeroy. To have the defense he has this year with the reliance on a couple of one-and-done freshmen shows he has coaching chops. If he can continue to recruit like this, watch the bleep out.

Utah is 6-2 in games decided by 5 points or less or in OT. Cal is 6-4. Last year, Cal was 5-3. That advantage isn't nearly as pronounced as you believe.