Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    DJ and PK pointed out that all the starters except Bonham played 38 minutes last night. Reyes played for 2 minutes in the first half, Chapman 8, and Dakari 26. Hope we have something left in the tank second half tonight and tomorrow if we win.
    Kuz only played 32, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

All's well that ends well, but seriously, what the hell was up with this shot?? I mean, even four feet closer and it would have been a risky shot. This was ridiculous. Taylor must have stones the size of coconuts. Maybe I'm old school having grown up watching Jerry Sloan and Majerus ball up close for many years. Both of those guys would have blown a gasket if one of their guys had taken this shot - make or miss.

I mean, at this moment in the game, we HAD TO get a basket. I wouldn't call a 30-footer the best shot at that happening.

With all of that said, this was one of the greatest shots I've ever seen made by a Runnin' Ute. Right up there with Van Horn's last-second heroics in the WAC tournament and Nick Jakobson's bomb against UNLV in the MWC tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    All's well that ends well, but seriously, what the hell was up with this shot?? I mean, even four feet closer and it would have been a risky shot. This was ridiculous. Taylor must have stones the size of coconuts. Maybe I'm old school having grown up watching Jerry Sloan and Majerus ball up close for many years. Both of those guys would have blown a gasket if one of their guys had taken this shot - make or miss.

I mean, at this moment in the game, we HAD TO get a basket. I wouldn't call a 30-footer the best shot at that happening.

With all of that said, this was one of the greatest shots I've ever seen made by a Runnin' Ute. Right up there with Van Horn's last-second heroics in the WAC tournament and Nick Jakobson's bomb against UNLV in the MWC tourney.
    The funny thing about that shot was Loveridge begging for a pass for about five seconds and Taylor either not seeing him or ignoring him. If that shot had not gone in, that would have been his third game ending nightmare.

The shot clock was almost at zero. USC was packing everything inside the 3 point line. It was either throw a risky pass, move up a few feet and take a contested shot, or let fly. You can see that McLaughlin was not expecting it, he was nowhere near being able to contest it.

I was was way more nervous about Kuzma's 3 a minute before when the lead had been cut to two. I guess it's good that both of this guys stepped into those shots with confidence, unlike Loveridge's banked 3 pointer against Colorado.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I think my favorite part of it is watching Krytstoviak casually drinking some water as it all goes down like "NBD - we got this."

It was a pretty looking jumper. He didn't do a baseball throw. It was no fluke.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Dear basketball gods,

If you allow Utah to win tonight and tomorrow, I promise to worship at your altar all day next Thursday and Friday.

Sincerely,

sancho

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It was a pretty looking jumper. He didn't do a baseball throw. It was no fluke.
    Yes, the form was good, but can we all agree that that's not a high percentage shot? Shooting alone in the gym, I'd bet Taylor makes that 3 out of 10 times on a good day!! He did everything a shooter needs to do to give that shot the best chance of going in. But I wouldn't bet my life on that shot, that's for sure.

Yes, the form was good, but can we all agree that that's not a high percentage shot? Shooting alone in the gym, I'd bet Taylor makes that 3 out of 10 times on a good day!! He did everything a shooter needs to do to give that shot the best chance of going in. But I wouldn't bet my life on that shot, that's for sure.
    I agree, but I also think it might have been the best percentage play at that time, given the circumstances.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I watch him make shots like that in was ups fairly regularly. Guessing he's around 50% from out there when he's just shooting alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are almost no Oregon fans here. I can't even identify what section they are assigned 10 minutes before game time.

edit: I found it, it was blocked by tv cameras from our seats. They have about 2/3 of a section filled.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-11-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    There are almost no Oregon fans here. I can't even identify what section they are assigned 10 minutes before game time.

edit: I found it, it was blocked by tv cameras from our seats. They have about 2/3 of a section filled.
    They have section 208... but the rest are the azholes and utah fans. There arent any cal fans

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 03-11-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Almost a perfect 1st half. Benson making some shots really helps this team open space. Zona has a big run in them, hopefully we can finish.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Almost a perfect 1st half. Benson making some shots really helps this team open space. Zona has a big run in them, hopefully we can finish.
    Oregon is clearly the best team in the Pac. There's not one dud in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post

It is baffling why despite having a good team most years, Oregon fans are very unsupportive of their basketball program. I get they have nice facilities and flashy fluorescent uniforms but if I'm a good player with a lot of options, I'd go somewhere else. Half the time their stadium is half empty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    It is baffling why despite having a good team most years, Oregon fans are very unsupportive of their basketball program. I get they have nice facilities and flashy fluorescent uniforms but if I'm a good player with a lot of options, I'd go somewhere else. Half the time their stadium is half empty.
    There are some frustrating difficulties for Oregon. Many of the donors live in Portland and Oregon hasn't built the type of program yet that makes people feel like they have to make the drive down weekdays for a game. It is building, but they also have a huge note on the building and even the cheap seats have a premium donation associated with them. Being a small town trying to play big time college athletics is a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    There are some frustrating difficulties for Oregon. Many of the donors live in Portland and Oregon hasn't built the type of program yet that makes people feel like they have to make the drive down weekdays for a game. It is building, but they also have a huge note on the building and even the cheap seats have a premium donation associated with them. Being a small town trying to play big time college athletics is a challenge.
    Plus, the people aren't allowed to pump their own gas.

What a bull shit call

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

What a finish in regulation in that Oregon-Arizona game. Wow.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Blog Entries
    Absolute collapse the last minute by Oregon. Great game, I won't miss Tarz and York at all, a couple of Duck killers. Good luck tonight guys.

4 words I'd prefer not to hear: Chris Reyes for three.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Some interesting line ups. I think Larry is trying to get some guys rest that they didn't get last night.

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Cal using their forearms pretty liberally.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Cal using their forearms pretty liberally.

And their quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    And their quickness.
    Yep...they're shooting well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Some interesting line ups. I think Larry is trying to get some guys rest that they didn't get last night.

No Bonham for several minutes.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    No Bonham for several minutes.
    He had two fouls.

Casey Jacobson says more Poeltl in the second half. I agree with him.

2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Odd how they always seem to start off well using Jakob, then forget about him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Finish at the rim man.

Poeltl is missing bunny shots. Weird.

--Yeats