Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I don't think so. If anything it elevates Oregon.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    I hope the guys can shake this off before they start playing in the NCAA. Time to start thinking about the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    They know how to box out. They're mentally whipped. Hoping they can snap out of it for the second half and at least preserve their dignity.

Well, the opposite seems to be happening.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I hope the guys can shake this off before they start playing in the NCAA. Time to start thinking about the future.

That's right. Get ready for Weber St.

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Let's get Bealer some minutes.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Loveridge has scored all of his points in garbage time.(read: the second half)

Good heavens. This looks like ward ball now.

--Yeats

It's be nice to notvhave an epic beat down in the tournament every year

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    It's be nice to notvhave an epic beat down in the tournament every year

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    I guess we are a year or two away from being the predator we'd like to be.

--Yeats

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    God bless Dana Altman!

Football payback. In spades.

Look, it's better to be playing on championship weekend than not. Sucks, but Oregon is an elite program this year. We still have the potential to make some noise in the tournament.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I changed the channel. Did Altman do something worthy of an invocation of a blessing? 😜

--Yeats

Blog Entries
    I changed the channel. Did Altman do something worthy of an invocation of a blessing? 

Made Oregon basketball relevant, maybe even really good.

Could that have cost us a 3 seed?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    You get three demerits for making that claim at this time, and in this place. You're on probation now. The next step is double secret probation. Watch yourself.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Looked really good tonight. Very athletic, play very smart. Oregon fans around us were great.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Two years ago Louisville did this to UConn...
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Could that have cost us a 3 seed?
    I'm with DnF. Probably helps Oregon, shouldn't hurt us.

--Yeats

Blog Entries
    Oregon 1
    Utah 3
    Zona 4
    Cal 4

I think all those teams play into the second weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Looked really good tonight. Very athletic, play very smart. Oregon fans around us were great.
    They were relentlessly great. Their athleticism is always mentioned but they are obviously very well coached too. It was mighty impressive to see that combination of athletic skill and smart play. I hope they do well in the Dance.

(I also hope Utah's ability to deal with athletic teams improves....)

--Yeats

They were relentlessly great. Their athleticism is always mentioned but they are obviously very well coached too. It was mighty impressive to see that combination of athletic skill and smart play. I hope they do well in the Dance.

(I also hope Utah's ability to deal with athletic teams improves....)

Well hell, gotta hand it to Oregon. They look great.
    That was a beatdown.
    Felt like the AZ game two years ago - only worse.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I realized tonight that offensively, we really only have one-dimensional players, who only do one thing well. That makes us pretty easy to defend, except for teams having to deal with Poeltl's greatness. Oregon has a bunch of guys that do multiple things well, making them hard to defend.

Brandon, Jordan, and Dakari are three point shooters. None of them are real threats to drive. (Oregoni's pg was one dimensional, but Dorsey could shoot and drive)
    Poeltl has his inside game (Boucher could hit threes as well)
    Bonham gets to the rim pretty well, but will only shoot outside reluctantly and when wiiiide open. (Brooks, Benjamin are threats to both shoot from outside and drive)

We would have to play almost flawless, and hope they have an off-shooting night to beat them. The opposite of all that happened tonight.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Well hell, gotta hand it to Oregon. They look great.
    That was a beatdown.
    Felt like the AZ game two years ago - only worse.
    Hopefully our next game isn't as big of a hangover as that game two years ago.

Just watch a bunch of the Hawaii game (thought it was the WAC Championship, only to find out that Hawaii isn't even in the WAC) to try and cleanse my palate. (Didn't work.) But if we do get matched up with them in the first round, as has been predicted, they didn't give me much to worry about. So longs as we get our legs under us the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Hopefully our next game isn't as big of a hangover as that game two years ago.

Just watch a bunch of the Hawaii game (thought it was the WAC Championship, only to find out that Hawaii isn't even in the WAC) to try and cleanse my palate. (Didn't work.) But if we do get matched up with them in the first round, as has been predicted, they didn't give me much to worry about. So longs as we get our legs under us the next few days.

That Hawaii game killed me too.
    I had them at -4.5. Hawaii missed a bunch of free throws and won by 4.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

My thoughts

1) This is the kind of loss that can throw a team off for a while. I hope we recover well.

2) We've been blown out for times this season. Each time the opponent was just too athletic for us. Two of the blowouts happened at the end of tournaments.

3) I think we get a 3 seed, but I don't think we deserve it (see #2). It's a good thing we get it because we'd be a popular first round upset pick as a 4. Hopefully a win against a 14 seed is just what the doctor ordered.

4) Sweet sixteen is possible if we get the right draw. I don't think anything higher is possible unless some Cinderella clears out a good team for us.

5) I wonder if Cuonzo Martin watched the game and thought "oh, that's how you use athleticism to stop a slow team."

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My thoughts

1) This is the kind of loss that can throw a team off for a while. I hope we recover well.

2) We've been blown out for times this season. Each time the opponent was just too athletic for us. Two of the blowouts happened at the end of tournaments.

3) I think we get a 3 seed, but I don't think we deserve it (see #2). It's a good thing we get it because we'd be a popular first round upset pick as a 4. Hopefully a win against a 14 seed is just what the doctor ordered.

4) Sweet sixteen is possible if we get the right draw. I don't think anything higher is possible unless some Cinderella clears out a good team for us.

5) I wonder if Cuonzo Martin watched the game and thought "oh, that's how you use athleticism to stop a slow team."
    I think we're still deserving of a 3. Keep in mind that Oregon is a terrible match up for us and frankly, they're just better.

That separation is occurring all over the place this weekend. It doesn't mean we aren't good, we just aren't elite and we met that one get away from us. Yes, another slow start puts us in danger, but only against a handful of really athletic teams.

I think we're still deserving of a 3. Keep in mind that Oregon is a terrible match up for us and frankly, they're just better.
    Maybe I can take a look at blowout losses for other 3 seeds. Four blowouts is a lot.

I also believe we are good, but I think we really benefit from an inflated rpi.
    Last edited by sancho; 03-13-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe I can take a look at blowout losses for other 3 seeds. Four blowouts is a lot.

I also believe we are good, but I think we really benefit from an inflated rpi.
    Well, we do have one of the best big men in the country, if not the best. I think that can carry us if a few of the other guys show up. When none of them show up, as happened last night, we're toast.

I just think very few teams have the ability to blitz us the way Oregon did (Miami did as well).

Well, we do have one of the best big men in the country, if not the best. I think that can carry us if a few of the other guys show up. When none of them show up, as happened last night, we're toast.

I just think very few teams have the ability to blitz us the way Oregon did (Miami did as well).

I also think that when we are on, our style is a problem for a lot of teams. Oregon played our style through some of the first half, and then turned on the jets and we just never responded. Cal did that a little, but we were able to match them shot for shot.

I agree. It's just that the teams that can blitz us are the 1, 2 and 3 seeds. And Kentucky. Maybe Baylor. I'm happy with our three seed projection. I just think when I look at other teams that a four is a more accurate reflection.

Last year Oregon has our luck in the tournament. They battled hard to stay close to us, and won on a 28 ft shot at the end of regulation. And then Arizona absolutely boatraced them in the championship game.

It wasn't our night and is a bad matchup.

Onward and upward.