Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Lol at the bitching in this thread. We are a top 10 level team. If we'd beat Stanford and OSU, we'd be top 10 right now.

1- we played in OT in the late game the night before. We had no chance in this game because

2- Oregon is DAMN good. Oregon and Kansas are heads and shoulders above everyone else. IF Oregon was in NY instead of OR, they'd be #1 right now.

Oregon is better than we are. They match up fantastically well vs us.

That being said, we are still better than 90% of the teams out there. We will be a sweet sixteen team at worst. I still expect an elite 8.

This loss doesn't hurt us. We should be a 3 seed. Oregon should be a 1 seed.

Had we played Cal at 3 pm, we still probably lose to Oregon last night but the game would have been much, much closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Lol at the bitching in this thread. We are a top 10 level team. If we'd beat Stanford and OSU, we'd be top 10 right now.
    Sometimes I think I'm too negative as a fan in my reaction to things. Then I check Twitter. Yikes!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

It seems pretty clear that we were never going to beat Oregon last night. (I do wonder why Las Vegas had them as only a 1.5 point favorite.) That said, there is no doubt that we played badly, and beneath our abilities. It is insulting to our program to say that there was nothing we could do about losing to Oregon by 29 points.

All that said, this can be a learning experience for them. Larry said as much last night right after the game. And, as he always says, you're never as good as you think you are or as bad as you think you are. The last time Larry team got slaughtered in the conference tournament they went out and lost their next game (embarrassingly) in the NIT to Saint Mary's. But this is a different team. They have more mental toughness, and I don't think this loss will be a hangover for them going into the dance. We will see.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-13-2016 at 02:51 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't leave us hanging

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Don't leave us hanging

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    But

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

FWIW...I think you're fine. Some people here/UFN wear coke-bottle sized crimson goggles. Logic and common sense don't appeal to everyone -- especially to those who don't understand the nuances of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Sometimes I think I'm too negative as a fan in my reaction to things. Then I check Twitter. Yikes!

Two nights ago was the first time I ever thought "I'd rather play Arizona".

Oregon is just a bad matchup for us. We will play Michigan State. Winner gets the Wooden Award.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

LOL. Twitter scares me. ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    FWIW...I think you're fine. Some people here/UFN wear coke-bottle sized crimson goggles. Logic and common sense don't appeal to everyone -- especially to those who don't understand the nuances of the game.
    I'm curious...do you have any examples of these fans with "coke-bottle sized crimson goggles"?

What I've found in my experience is there are optimistic fans and fans that LOVE wearing the "wo-is-me-I'm-a-Utah-fan-and-Utah-sucks-so-I'm-awesome" and really don't appreciate that Utah could be good and that Utah IS good.

It ruins their narrative. No matter how wrong they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    really don't appreciate that Utah could be good and that Utah IS good.
    Well, fortunately we all agree that Utah is good. We already got our money's worth of entertainment, and there's still basketball to play.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, fortunately we all agree that Utah is good. We already got our money's worth of entertainment, and there's still basketball to play.
    Exciting times.

My whole life I've heard what SCP repeated here--that it's incredibly hard to beat a team three times in a season. Like much else I heard growing up, I've decided that's a myth. If a team has beaten another twice it's more likely than not it will win a third time.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    My whole life I've heard what SCP repeated here--that it's incredibly hard to beat a team three times in a season. Like much else I heard growing up, I've decided that's a myth. If a team has beaten another twice it's more likely than not it will win a third time.
    In that case it may be more appropriate to say that if you blow out a team twice in the season then it is more likely that you will beat them the third time. If you beat a team twice in close games then the third time the teams meet they both should have even opportunities for the win.

2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    In that case it may be more appropriate to say that if you blow out a team twice in the season then it is more likely that you will beat them the third time. If you beat a team twice in close games then the third time the teams meet they both should have even opportunities for the win.
    It sure looks like you are right. In the case of Oregon, they'll blow us out every time they play us, but will do so especially badly when we are playing tired.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Rarely does a third matchup happen when the victor so thoroughly dominates the loser, because it's a clear indicator that the loser isn't that good and the odds of a third matchup just aren't that good. We beat Wazzu like a drum two times and we'd do it a third. Clearly, we're better than Wazuu, and the league standings show we're much closer to Oregon than 31 points. We just have not played well against them this year and the Ducks should get the lion's share of credit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Rarely does a third matchup happen when the victor so thoroughly dominates the loser, because it's a clear indicator that the loser isn't that good and the odds of a third matchup just aren't that good. We beat Wazzu like a drum two times and we'd do it a third. Clearly, we're better than Wazuu, and the league standings show we're much closer to Oregon than 31 points. We just have not played well against them this year and the Ducks should get the lion's share of credit for that.
    Yes. They are supremely talented, disciplined, and relentless. I'm an admirer.

--Yeats

On review--Utes were a incredibly stupid foul & 1 blown FT from stealing the league title--with the Utes talent (or lack thereof) & lack of depth, it just shows that we have a really good coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    On review--Utes were a incredibly stupid foul & 1 blown FT from stealing the league title--with the Utes talent (or lack thereof) & lack of depth, it just shows that we have a really good coaching staff.
    I think it also shows how much one legitimate star can mean in basketball, especially if that star is a center.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    How crazy would it have been to have the Utes win the league title but lose to 2nd place Oregon by a total of 59 points?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    How crazy would it have been to have the Utes win the league title but lose to 2nd place Oregon by a total of 59 points?
    It's crazy enough that both Utah and Oregon lost to Stanford.

It's crazy enough that both Utah and Oregon lost to Stanford.
    Those might be the two biggest reasons why Johnny Dawkins lasted until after the season. Barring that he might have been Kiffened during the season.

Now that I think about it, there should be a real effort to get all of the Dukies out of the PAC. You are next, Bobby Hurley!