Thread: The beer, spirits, and wine thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    With this site being the Elder's Quorum and all, perhaps I will get no traction with this thread (although I expect Diehard to post at least once).

I've been impressed with the growing craft beer scene in Utah. We also have a distillery, High West, that is getting recognition across the country (although to be fair they are mostly a blender and don't do a lot of their own distilling).

I think there is a good 5+ breweries set to open in Utah this year. Even Utah county is getting in the game with 2 breweries trying to open.

Saturday Proper Brewing Co opens and I'm really excited to give them a try.

I'll be making a trip downtown to pick up a few. I also think there packaging is sharp and they have some clever plays on the local culture in them. Recommend Rye and Lake Effect. Wasatch has tried this and I think has ultimately failed in their efforts to be clever.

http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/2016/01...o-preview.html

I do think the market will become over saturated and some of these will fail, but it is an exciting time for sure for beer lovers in Utah. Distribution into the state sucks, so people are fixing that problem by making great beer here.
    Utah has always had great breweries and that's definitely expanding.

My buddy who owns a brewery in Vegas said Utah brewers are some of the best in the world as they can't just use high alcohol levels to hide their flaws.

Proper should be good with them being an expansion of an already existing business.

Squatters and Desert Edge have some good local named stuff.

As for distilleries I've liked Sugarhouse's vodka. Curious to see what they do as they age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My go to beers lately have been Elephino and Uinta's Flamingose. I also really like 2 Row's Random IPA.

I've been stuck in an IPA rut and have really been coming around to sours lately. I'd love to get my hands on a Squatters Fifth Element, but I'm sure that it will be sold out by the time I can get to a brewery on Saturday
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

My go to beers lately have been Elephino and Uinta's Flamingose. I also really like 2 Row's Random IPA.

I've been stuck in an IPA rut and have really been coming around to sours lately. I'd love to get my hands on a Squatters Fifth Element, but I'm sure that it will be sold out by the time I can get to a brewery on Saturday
    Have you had Epic's Sour IPA?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Have you had Epic's Sour IPA?

Yes and I thought it was really good. I'm glad that Epic has decided to go with some session beers and get into grocery stores.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Yes and I thought it was really good. I'm glad that Epic has decided to go with some session beers and get into grocery stores.
    That's thanks to The Annex

They wanted beers on tap there and thanks to the idiotic no high alcohol beer on tap law they came up with session stuff.

The Sour was first debuted in the restaurant. I happened to be there the first day. They still have it on tap as well.

(Their Milk Stout is awesome too!)