Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The beer, spirits, and wine thread

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Last time I was there 5 yrs ago I thought i saw a small still. I could have it confused with another place.

I agree there is a bit of cogniti e dissonance involved when a company who has been in business for 5 years is suddenly hawking an award-winning 12 yr old Rye or the 16 or 21 yr old Rocky Mountain. At least they now have the origin listed (LDI and Barton, along with some Scottish producers).

Of course this doesn't mean that it is low quality in any way. It is actually supposed to be very good.
    Good article on the distillery practice of blending and packaging.

Interesting to note the owner of High West said he never plans to stop doing it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...n-indiana.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High West does mostly blend, but they have a few they distill on their own. The one I had was pretty Meh. Way too much of a fruit flavor. Really overwhelmed the whole thing.

The blends are fantastic and it is definitely an art to blend.

Beehive Distillery Jack Rabbit gin is good stuff. Very impressed. My wife is a gin drinker and this is her go to now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

My wife loves Hendricks gin. It is infused with cucumber and rose petals in addition to the regular ingredients (juniper), and it is divine. Garnish it with cucumber instead of lemon for a nice variation in the G&T.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    My wife loves Hendricks gin. It is infused with cucumber and rose petals in addition to the regular ingredients (juniper), and it is divine. Garnish it with cucumber instead of lemon for a nice variation in the G&T.
    Yes, I'm going to have to get her some of that when the Jack Rabbit Gin is gone.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Elder Brett. Good, not great. Not worth how much they charge for it. I doubt that I'll buy it again.

Fifth Element definitely kicks its ass as a seasonal sour. I'm actually really excited for Epic to get the Tart and Juicy Sour IPA on selves. It is the full strength version of the Session Sour IPA, which is quite good, but also not worth the cost.
    --fjm.com

Banned
    Jameson Irish Whiskey. Enough said.

In line to get a couple bottles of Paardebloem. Got the last ticket. Apparently I am living right.

--fjm.com

Epic released hand bottled Sour Peach Saison today. They only had about 160, I didn't get up to go get one

I did have Son Of A Baptist the other day. Delicious beer. I like Big Bad Baptist, but it's not "drinkable". SOB is very drinkable.

Couple people in line here got the Epic release. I've not loved their fruit beers or sours, other than the sour ipa, so I didn't bother. I've been wanting to try son of a Baptist.

--fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Couple people in line here got the Epic release. I've not loved their fruit beers or sours, other than the sour ipa, so I didn't bother. I've been wanting to try son of a Baptist.

I love the raspberry saison. Peach is so so

Course Sage Saison is the king of that whole line and it's not even close.

SOB is a good beer.

Still haven't found the Crooked Line Stompin' Grounds. Guessing I'll have to go to Uinta to get it.

So while waiting waiting in line today I saw aging in barrels a beer marked as DIPA with brettanomyces. I'm very interested in a red rock sour IPA, very interested.

--fjm.com

Great Notion Brewing in Portland is very good.

--fjm.com

It has been an acquire but not drink a lot of beer time. I don't think I've ever had more beer in my fridge. Got it as birthday presents and me picking up some stuff but not drinking.

Right now I have the following:

Red Rock - Elephino
    Red Rock - Paardebloem (still waiting for the special occasion to drink this. We were going to drink on our anniversary but changed course)
    Squatters - Fifth Element (same still waiting for the right occasion)
    Uinta - Ready Set Gose (4 cans left)
    Red Rock - Forbidden Peach (got my 4 bottle limit today, really excited to try this one)
    Epic - Imperial Stout (birthday present)
    Epic - Brainless of Raspberries (birthday present)
    Epic - Imperial Red Ale (birthday)
    A bomber of a friend's home brew that he calls Blonde Eve. From my temple going days, I much preferred brunette Eve.

--fjm.com

Do you guys drink openly around your Mormon family? I find it much more exciting to be a closet drinker. Makes the beer taste better to drink it secretly. My favorite beer is Blue Moon, hints of citrus and coriander.

The beer, spirits, and wine thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Do you guys drink openly around your Mormon family? I find it much more exciting to be a closet drinker. Makes the beer taste better to drink it secretly. My favorite beer is Blue Moon, hints of citrus and coriander.
    Blue f****** Moon? You kidding me? Get that phantom craft shit out of this thread.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-30-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    --fjm.com

Banned
    I should buy stock in Jameson whiskey... when I go on the wagon...they experience a drop in the bottom line. Their corporate profits are safe for now.

Proper releases a Belgium Tripel last night, might need to go get that one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    --fjm.com

Proper releases a Belgium Tripel last night, might need to go get that one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I got it. It is good. It is not as good though as Red Rock's recently released Tripel, Marvela. Also, when I was there picked up Red Rock's Oktoberfest beer based on the employees recommendation. Damn, it was good stuff. I don't drink many lager styles, but that thing may change that.

I'm more and more convinced, Red Rock is the best brewery in this state.
    --fjm.com

I got it. It is good. It is not as good though as Red Rock's recently released Tripel, Marvela. Also, when I was there picked up Red Rock's Oktoberfest beer based on the employees recommendation. Damn, it was good stuff. I don't drink many lager styles, but that thing may change that.

I'm more and more convinced, Red Rock is the best brewery in this state.
    I like some of their stuff, and they've certainly improved in the last 5 years, but they're not at the top for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I like some of their stuff, and they've certainly improved in the last 5 years, but they're not at the top for me.

Who is your favorite.

I put Red Rock first because the beers that I drink on the most consistent basis are Elephino and their 25th Anniversary Red Ale. I'd also put Paardebloem first with the special release beers that I've tried.
    --fjm.com

Red Rock's Secale. I made a mistake not getting the 6-bottle limit. Nice strong whiskey flavor that one. I love a good barrel aged beer.

Diehard, you were right about Epic's Sage Saison. That is easily the best of the Epic Saison's and my favorite Saison that I've had from the locals.

I skilled the Big Bad Baptist this year. I like it, but I'm just not drop $12.99 for a bomber this year. I did find it necessary to get a Double Barrel Bapist. Yeah, that is the best version of Big Bad Baptist that I've had yet. The coffee is strong and that mix with the whiskey notes is amazing. Nothing crushable at all about it though. It is a sipping beer and no way could I drink a bomber of it in one sitting.
    --fjm.com

Red Rock's Secale. I made a mistake not getting the 6-bottle limit. Nice strong whiskey flavor that one. I love a good barrel aged beer.

Diehard, you were right about Epic's Sage Saison. That is easily the best of the Epic Saison's and my favorite Saison that I've had from the locals.

I skilled the Big Bad Baptist this year. I like it, but I'm just not drop $12.99 for a bomber this year. I did find it necessary to get a Double Barrel Bapist. Yeah, that is the best version of Big Bad Baptist that I've had yet. The coffee is strong and that mix with the whiskey notes is amazing. Nothing crushable at all about it though. It is a sipping beer and no way could I drink a bomber of it in one sitting.
    Love the Sage. Wish they had it year round.

Had the Big Bad Baptista. It's good, although I couldn't pick up the spicy notes they said it had.

Picked up a few Uinta 801 Coffee Pilsners. Quite like that one. A lighter beer with a hint of coffee

I had a Secale at Red Rock a few years back and I agree, it was fantastic.

I've really changed what breweries that I'm buying from these days. I'm pretty much done with Epic. Yes, they make good beers but they are consistently overpriced for what you get. Sure the Sour IPA and Tart and Juicy IPA are really good beers, but you want to charge $7.99 for a bomber of a kettle soured beer or $2.99 a can for it? With the level of production that Epic is putting out these days, this price point just doesn't make sense.

Right now, I'm buying a lot of stuff from Shades of Pale and 2 Row. I really think right now these 2 breweries are making the best stuff in state.

2 Row is just downright amazing as an IPA house. I'm in love with the NE style IPA right now. I really like the really strong citrus flavors with the scaled down bitterness. Not that I don't love a really bitter IPA now and then. 2 Row is making the best NE style IPAs in the market. When I first tried Taste Like Citrus IPA, it was easily my favorite local beer. I was shocked when they topped it with the Feelin' Hazy NE DIPA. 2 Row is absolutely worth the trip. Brian is a good nice guy and he just makes damn good beer.

Shades of Pale is now becoming my go to for non-IPA beers. I slept on them for a long time. I'd tried their session beers in grocery stores and didn't think it was bad, but also didn't think it was anything special. I then decided to hit the bottle shop to try their Belgium Tripel. I love that Tripel. It isn't traditional, but it is damn damn good. I like the way the sweetness if kicked back a notch in comparison to something like Marvella.

They are the local that is making the best Belgium style beers and barrel aged sours. I recently picked up their Sour Saison with tart cherry. I'm usually not a big fan of fruit in beer, but the cherry just gives it this nice backbone with the brett yeast. This is a fantastic sour. I hope it becomes an everyday beer for them, but that is always hard with a barrel aged beer. The Sour Porter also is really good. I didn't know what to think of a sour porter, but it works. Also, the Grapefruit Revolution IPA is the best session beer in the market. I don't know how someone got that much flavor out of a 4.0 beer.

So in short, a couple breweries that were barely on the radar for me not too long ago are now my favorites. Check out Shades of Pale and 2 Row. Both are well worth the trips to the bottle shop.

I have a couple of beers in my fridge that I'm really looking forward to trying. I have a barrel aged Belgium Quad from Shades that I'm saving. I also have a Oud Bruin from Pfriem brewing in Portland that I'm excited to try as well.

As for the spirits side of things, over Christmas I got a chance to head out to the Hive Winery and try their brandys. I got a Peach Brandy and a Pear Brandy that are well work checking out. The pear was better, but the peach has actually been improving with age. They bottle the brandy with a spike of wood that it was aged with and the peach has really benefited from the aging time.

Also, when I was in Portland my wife bought me a bottle of Bull Run Whiskey as an early father's day present. Really nice whiskey. It would be nice to have their stuff in this market.

FYI, I'm not a drunk
    --fjm.com

I'm fairly new to the beer game, having recently discovered the religion of my childhood, the religion that said I couldn't drink, is a fairy tale.

Some beer is not very good while I really like others. My two favorites are both by Wasatch, Evolution Amber Ale and Apricot Hefeweizen.
    Also, High West whiskey was a lot more smooth than I expected for whiskey.

Had a few Evolutions this year at Snowbasin.