Thread: The Basketball Offseason 2016 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I think this is more likely:

C - Johnson, Collette, Mawien
    PF - Kuzma, Rawson
    SF - Chapman, Bealer
    SG - Ogbe, Daniels, Zamora
    PG - Bonam, Barefield, Van Dyke

I think we have a good mix of talent coming in for next season including Jayce Johnson who is a highly recruited big. You also left off Ogbe who would basically be like a new recruit this year since he hardly played last year. I see Bonam playing the point since Barefield will not be eligible until later in the season. I will be interested to see how we do with more bigs to work with. Poeltl had to play with a passive mentality on defense the entire season since there was no help behind him. We should be tougher and more aggressive on defense next season.
    I did leave off Ogbe because I have no confidence that he will be able to play.

Pacers part ways with Vogel. Sounds like Jim Boylen could be a candidate for that gig...that would be fun to watch!

Isaiah Wright ends up at San Diego. The WCC version, as I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Basketball Offseason 2016 Thread

Brekkott released to Weber State, among others. Has new baby.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-06-2016 at 05:30 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

That's a lot of players gone. I like Coach K. Nonetheless, these transfers do not speak well to the coaching staff's talent evaluation capability.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Brekkott released to Weber State, among others. Has new baby.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    That's a lot of players gone. I like Coach K. Nonetheless, these transfers do not speak well to the coaching staff's talent evaluation capability.

I don't see this as a question of talent. I believe Chapman would have been a major contributor to the team next season. I think other things are at play here. With that said that brings the total to 7 players (and counting) that will not be back next season. That much turnover is not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Too bad. This is a serious loss.
    The baby was a factor.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Was the baby also why Chapman was blocked from transferring to Utah State?
    We're up to snuff, we never bluff, we're game for any fuss. Or at least we used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Was the baby also why Chapman was blocked from transferring to Utah State?
    No they did that solely to give you something to post about.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    No they did that solely to give you something to post about.
    Somebody has to be the Internet Cop for yewt fans. kc provides a valuable service. His obsession keeps us humble.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I will miss Brekkott. I wish him well. I think he will have success at Weber.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 05-07-2016 at 06:59 AM.

It's not difficult to see. With a baby now and probably marriage looming -- so you have a family to worry about now -- Weber State looks like an attractive place to play. Especially if you are going to start at WSU and you can live in Roy with, or close to, family for a while, and also live close to school, and also have a chance to be another Damian Lillard, then yes, the baby is a factor. Maybe the one that tipped the scales.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-07-2016 at 12:03 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's not difficult to see. With a baby now and probably marriage looming -- so you have a family to worry about now -- Weber State looks like an attractive place to play. Especially if you are going to start at WSU and you can live in Roy with, or close to, family for a while, and also live close to school, and also have a chance to be another Damian Lillard, then yes, the baby is a factor. Maybe the one that tipped the scales.
    Sorry LA, but this is apologist claptrap designed to keep Larry off the hook for absolutely blowing it with the development and retainment of the biggest in-state recruit he's signed during his tenure. You know who else all this bullshit applies to that you just described? 75 percent of the BYU football team. I don't see a huge rush of them transferring to Weber State.

Hell, Dakari Tucker was a baby daddy before arriving at Utah -- and he's from SoCal. Didn't stop him.

This might be the absolute weakest defense of a transfer I've ever seen. This is a really bad look for the program.

I think there are a few things stated as facts that are probably not accurate.

I don't think Chapman is transferring to Weber State, but that WSU is the only instate school that he has a granted release.

Second, I don't think the coaches have an issue with a player being a father. I think that Chapman is using it as smokescreen for his transfer, which is about what every transfer involves; playing time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I sincerely wish brekkott well. I dont know what else is involved but on the court, he got beat out by a guy who was lower than him on the depth chart previously.

What negatives this has remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Sorry LA, but this is apologist claptrap designed to keep Larry off the hook for absolutely blowing it with the development and retainment of the biggest in-state recruit he's signed during his tenure. You know who else all this bullshit applies to that you just described? 75 percent of the BYU football team. I don't see a huge rush of them transferring to Weber State.

Hell, Dakari Tucker was a baby daddy before arriving at Utah -- and he's from SoCal. Didn't stop him.

This might be the absolute weakest defense of a transfer I've ever seen. This is a really bad look for the program.
    You can only develop players if they will hit the weights to develop their body
    or stay in gym & practice their shot if it is too flat
    or work on their right hand if they can't dribble or finish with it.

Jordan Loveridge was just the opposite. He made himself better.

I agree the baby & family is a smokescreen---but coaches can only do so much to develop/make a player better.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    You can only develop players if they will hit the weights to develop their body
    or stay in gym & practice their shot if it is too flat
    or work on their right hand if they can't dribble or finish with it.

Jordan Loveridge was just the opposite. He made himself better.

I agree the baby & family is a smokescreen---but coaches can only do so much to develop/make a player better.
    I didn't want to criticize BK, but you've said what I was thinking. Larry was unhappy with Brekkott even prior to the young man enrolling in school because of his reluctance to hit the weights. SoCal, my post was simply supporting the idea that the baby was a factor in Brekott's decision. I'm not defending or attacking LK over this. I don't have enough information to do either, and neither do you.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-07-2016 at 06:26 PM.

--Yeats

Chapman's transfer aside, we still have had a bunch leave. Now, candidly, they just have not performed and are not P12-level players. As Coach Whit said -- just paraphrasing here -- it's always on the coaches; if the players don't live up, the coaches either didn't recruit right or didn't coach right. Of course, nobody should expect 100% recruiting/coaching. Still, we've had a crap load of transfers.

Is it because of the name "Utah"? Is it because of LK and the coaching staff? Combination. I dunno. Proof is always in the pudding. We'll see what happens to 2016-17.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Sorry LA, but this is apologist claptrap designed to keep Larry off the hook for absolutely blowing it with the development and retainment of the biggest in-state recruit he's signed during his tenure.

This is a really bad look for the program.
    Does this look bad for the program? Yes.

However, unless you know everything that has gone on behind the scenes between the coaches and Chapman, I don't think you can say that LK blew it in terms of developing and retaining Chapman. I don't know enough to make a judgment either. Sometimes players and coaches click and sometimes they do not. Sometimes coaches have a style that some players do not respond to and sometimes players are not willing to put in the time required to improve. I think we can agree that Chapman did not develop like many of hoped and expected. Was it his fault? Was it the coaches fault? Was it a combination of other things, grandfather passing, baby, any number of things? We don't know.

I do wish that schools could not limit the places where players can transfer and receive a scholarship. It is a bad rule? Yes. Without the rule, would the practice of poaching become greater? Maybe, but there are other punishments that can be extended against the program to deal with those situations.

I believe you, but I don't really understand how. Does Weber have better child care options for athletes?
    Probably wants to be closer to family to help care for the baby? Like when he is on the road playing games? I can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Probably wants to be closer to family to help care for the baby? Like when he is on the road playing games? I can see that.
    He is living with his grandmother in Roy. There's the childcare. People who know her say she's a great person.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-08-2016 at 11:36 AM.

--Yeats

All I can speculate on is what I saw on the floor with BK, and two years into the program he still looked lost on the floor and he still had a high school senior body.

Somehow players around him picked up the system and moved on from rookie mistakes and built some mass. This tells me that Brekkott had something to do with his own development as well.

A person I know who is well connected in high school sports predicted this much with him when he first joined the Utes. He noted he had a ton of upside but worried about his ability to do what it takes at this level. This person has been right a few times in the past as well (he was incredulous when we picked up Jace Tavita back in the day.)

Either way, I don't know what happened. Larry will have to produce some results or show he has brought in new players equal to or better than what we lost, while also getting them up to speed on the system. I wouldn't want his job, particularly with our fanbase, right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the outside it looks like:
    Brekkott sees Jalen Moore at USU & thinks he can play that role. He doesn't like the physical demands that Larry K makes & he dislikes confrontation-so instead of telling Larry that he wants out for those reasons---he says he wants to be closer to home--but really he wants to go to USU(?)
    Larry K. sides with Collette who wanted to play for him enough that he paid his own way--plus he probably does not love Duryea for implying he tampered with Collette, so no way he releases to USU. Instead he plays along with Brekkott & releases him to Weber.

Larry K is a no bull-shit kind of person, but he also is no dummy. It must really irritate him that Brekkott has more physical gifts that he did as a player, yet does not have the same heart & drive. But he is not the one who started this closer to family story that he is now getting blamed for----

should be an interesting season.

This doesn't matter. I was hoping to see Brekkot matter, but now we see it wasn't to be. Majerus didn't lose a transfer who mattered until Mark Jackson--when the wheels were coming off for Majerus personally. Kodiak still hasn't lost one who mattered. (This isn't at all like Boylen losing to transfer every key returning player .)

It hurts in a way to lose a player--or, more accurately watch a player bust--who purportedly had so much promise. But that's because Utah gets so few of them. So many players with Chapman's potential don't work out. ESPN 100s by the dozens go through so many programs like shit through a goose with nothing to show for it. Two of them I follow are Georgetown and Washington. Georgetown has maybe nine ESPN 100s, and had a losing season. UW has maybe a half dozen. it did not get an NCAA invitation.

Look on the bright side. We never expected Kumza to be so good. You win some you lose some.

Good luck, Brekkot.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

The bad news for us, though, is that he's better than our next option at the SF.
    Who knows? I think we agree there's a huge crap shoot element at the tier that Utah recruits. This is why we have to tolerate a lot of transfer turnover.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-09-2016 at 10:03 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Somehow players around him picked up the system and moved on from rookie mistakes and built some mass. This tells me that Brekkott had something to do with his own development as well.
    I agree. For each "failed to develop" player like Chapman and IWright, there seems to be two or three guys like Washburn, Poeltl, and Kuzma that did develop. At some point you have to put some onus on the player to put the work in.

Lew Evans is going to Tennessee? Dying to know the story there.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...e?preview=true

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Lew Evans is going to Tennessee? Dying to know the story there.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...e?preview=true
    If only there was someone on the board who connected to the family.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    If only there was someone on the board who connected to the family.

You are his uncle, no? I fished for Two Utes but haven't reeled him in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You are his uncle, no? I fished for Two Utes but haven't reeled him in yet.
    Yes I am but it's not my story to tell

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla