Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 49 of 49

Thread: Medical Views on Pornography

  1. #31
    And having an actual, real-life, healthy sexual life is the best way to shape one's view of what constitutes a healthy sexuality.

    It is extraordinarily difficult to gain that without actual experience.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I have a couple of daughters in college, and my overriding concern is they don't fall in love with someone who struggles with anger. Domestic abuse is probably my greatest fear for them. I'm stunned at how quickly anger escalates for a lot of people. You see it on the road every day.

    Having said that, I'm with you on this. I don't see how viewing porn can strengthen a relationship, and would advise my girls to steer clear of a guy that views pornography. Whether it's an addiction or not is irrelevant to me. Maybe its a compulsion, a vice or an interest. Whatever it is, I hope my girls don't get involved with a user of it.
    That is a pretty small pool of guys.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    That is a pretty small pool of guys.
    Good men has always been a small pool.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Good men has always been a small pool.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope.

    The majority of men are good men. And normal men have looked at porn and stimulated themselves. Really not a big deal.

  5. #35

    Medical Views on Pornography

    http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/468027...esents-science

    My favorite part of this column is its noting that porn has been scientifically shown to lead to "more prayer and religiosity at high use." Haha.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-13-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  6. #36
    What I find fascinating in this whole debate is the insistent and adamant belief that pornography causes no harm. Yet we have a video in another thread that points out how social media causes the release of dopamine in the brain causing addiction, permanently requiring the brain this resulting in a useless generation of youth (my words) and nobody questions that. We also read reports how large populated areas that can no longer see the stars because of light pollution and it is having adverse health effects on people.

    So using social media and not seeing the stars causes lasting harm to humans, but pornography doesn't? And these conclusions on any of them are derived from an amazingly short period of time. Porn usage wasn't widespread until the past decade, along with social media. Light pollution wasn't an issue until the past 50 years.

    Truth is we really don't know on any of this stuff with all likelihood being it is all bad for us.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    What I find fascinating in this whole debate is the insistent and adamant belief that pornography causes no harm. Yet we have a video in another thread that points out how social media causes the release of dopamine in the brain causing addiction, permanently requiring the brain this resulting in a useless generation of youth (my words) and nobody questions that. We also read reports how large populated areas that can no longer see the stars because of light pollution and it is having adverse health effects on people.

    So using social media and not seeing the stars causes lasting harm to humans, but pornography doesn't? And these conclusions on any of them are derived from an amazingly short period of time. Porn usage wasn't widespread until the past decade, along with social media. Light pollution wasn't an issue until the past 50 years.

    Truth is we really don't know on any of this stuff with all likelihood being it is all bad for us.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Like most topics, a cursory examination by a layman on Peer Reviewed studies on pornography will get you any answer you want. You want to see some positive aspects of porn, you can probably find it. You want to see the harm it does to your life, you can definitely find it.

    From my view, the literature strongly suggests that porn doesn't contribute to increased quality of life. In fact, it appears to me that the vast majority of studies suggest consistent viewing of porn, especially by adolescents is downright harmful. Anyway, I just don't see a scenario where viewing porn strengthens any of the important relationships in my life. Just that simple to me.

    Having said that, I will sit down with my teenage son as well as my 2 college aged girls and watch violent movies like The Exterminator, 2 Guns, 300, Platoon, Sicario, Scarface etc..... as well as documentaries on war, gangs & the mafia.....and don't think twice about it. I'll also watch movies with sexual overtones, no problem.....Mr/Mrs Smith, Wedding Crashers etc...., I can't explain it nor can I defend it. There's a hypocritical component to it for sure. But, flat-out pornography offends my basic instincts as a husband and dad, and will try my best to keep it away from me and my family.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  8. #38
    Whatever porn's harmful effects on the watcher (the actors may be a more complicated matter), it can't be as harmful as the hysteria, the shaming, and the disregard for science that it elicits from the LDS Church. The very title of this thread pisses me off. By the way, of course violent Hollywood movies are more tempting. The quality of porn is generally pretty low, it's repetitious, and it's therefore pretty boring. I like stories, suspense, that kind of stuff. I like sexy films with that stuff; e.g., the unrated version of Lust Caution. Is that porn or art? It's sad that something like porn is such an object of the LDS Church's obsession. The Anti-Pornography Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  9. #39
    In November, the Canadian House of Commons passed a motion to examine the harmful effects of pornography on Canadian citizens. This was passed by a liberal government by the way—liberals whose politics and policies make Bernie Sanders ideas look tame:

    http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicati...guage=E&Mode=1
    Last edited by tooblue; 12-14-2016 at 06:46 PM.

  10. #40
    Pr0n is harmful for kids. It is not ideal for teenagers, and we should keep it away from our teens.

    Adults are a different story most of the time.

    It is interesting to examine who does and who doesn't care about their partner viewing pr0n and rubbing one out. In most instances the following hold true:

    Lesbian couples DGAS if their partner flicks it to pr0n (and women are mostly non-visually stimulated anyhow).

    Gay couples DGAS.

    Most men DGAS if their wife indulges, so long as she reciprocates and meets his needs.

    Most women, however, are extremely hurt by it. This is particularly so when the husband has to sneak behind her back to do it. This goes double if religion is involved.

    (If they have a pre-existing agreement, or if they indulge together, then pr0n can be very healthy).

    It is an interesting dynamic.

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    In November, the Canadian House of Commons passed a motion to examine the harmful effects of pornography on Canadian citizens. This was passed by a liberal government by the way—liberals whose politics and policies make Bernie Sanders ideas look tame:

    http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicati...guage=E&Mode=1
    Mentioning Canadians and Bernie Sanders in the same sentence is probably appropriate. Canadian liberalism is the totally clueless kind, like BS. Example: Your Prime Minister thinks Fidel Castro was a great man. Canadian "liberals" pump raw sewage into the environment and are indifferent to salmon and old trees. Liberals to the extent their ox isn't being gored. Also liberals who like to moralize.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-15-2016 at 01:16 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Pr0n is harmful for kids. It is not ideal for teenagers, and we should keep it away from our teens.

    Adults are a different story most of the time.

    It is interesting to examine who does and who doesn't care about their partner viewing pr0n and rubbing one out. In most instances the following hold true:

    Lesbian couples DGAS if their partner flicks it to pr0n (and women are mostly non-visually stimulated anyhow).

    Gay couples DGAS.

    Most men DGAS if their wife indulges, so long as she reciprocates and meets his needs.

    Most women, however, are extremely hurt by it. This is particularly so when the husband has to sneak behind her back to do it. This goes double if religion is involved.

    (If they have a pre-existing agreement, or if they indulge together, then pr0n can be very healthy).

    It is an interesting dynamic.
    Women partake a lot more than is commonly believed. Women aren't as different from us as many men think they are.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Women partake a lot more than is commonly believed. Women aren't as different from us as many men think they are.
    The women who are the most damaged by a partner having a wank are most often influenced to be so hurt by religion.

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Women aren't as different from us as many men think they are.
    "Men are from Utah, Women are from Idaho" by Seattle Ute.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Mentioning Canadians and Bernie Sanders in the same sentence is probably appropriate. Canadian liberalism is the totally clueless kind, like BS. Example: Your Prime Minister thinks Fidel Castro was a great man. Canadian "liberals" pump raw sewage into the environment and are indifferent to salmon and old trees. Liberals to the extent their ox isn't being gored. Also liberals who like to moralize.
    You know them so well—why is that, I wonder? Your can barely contain your admiration with your feigned disdain LOL

  16. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    "Men are from Utah, Women are from Idaho" by Seattle Ute.
    I have some experience with women, actually.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    You know them so well—why is that, I wonder? Your can barely contain your admiration with your feigned disdain LOL
    I live 100 miles from Canada. I have no problem with the status of our southern border, but when I become president, up north, I'm going to build a wall...

    I heard this morning that because Canada just approved the world's biggest fossil fuels pipeline terminating at the port of Vancouver, we're going to have the Salish Sea and Puget Sound filled up with fat oil tanker ships from Canada.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  18. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I have some experience with women, actually.
    Experience can be subjective. As much as it looks good on paper, 500 rejections ≠ 1 success.

  19. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I have some experience with women, actually.
    I bet you have binders full of them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •