Thread: The Salt Lake Tribune

The Salt Lake Tribune

I think the subjects of the Tribune's new ownership, and the paper's future, deserve their own thread.

Don’t know Paul Huntsman? His ownership of The Salt Lake Tribune may change that

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3832090-1...-his-ownership

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-13-2016 at 08:50 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I dont think much of either local paper, as a whole. I do think both of them have a place in the community. Its fun every once in a while to take a dive to the bottom of the humanity barrell (ie, either papers comment section). The trib commenters are very worried about this.

I hope the new owners put some money into the Tribune's online presence. Their website is practically unnavigatable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I hope the new owners put some money into the Tribune's online presence. Their website is practically unnavigatable.

I agree completely, in fact I think that..........

Want to see the rest of this post? Just sign up for an online subscription for $10/month or fill out this survey to continue reading!

i haven't been paying attention to this change in ownership. I enjoy Kirby articles, Bagley cartoons, and most of Peggy FS's religion articles.

Growing up the Trib was the pro Ute paper and the DesNews was the pro BYU paper for sports writing. The Trib's sports writing is pretty bad lately but the DesNews has too many of these "guest writers" that are basically just fans who somehow get their drivel printed.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    i haven't been paying attention to this change in ownership. I enjoy Kirby articles, Bagley cartoons, and most of Peggy FS's religion articles.

Growing up the Trib was the pro Ute paper and the DesNews was the pro BYU paper for sports writing. The Trib's sports writing is pretty bad lately but the DesNews has too many of these "guest writers" that are basically just fans who somehow get their drivel printed.
    Must have been five or six years ago now, the Des News laid off a good portion of their staff. They somewhat merged with KSL and opted instead for as much free content as they could get. They pulled people off of twitter and gave them weekly columns. They started putting out a ton of lists to artificially inflate their page views. This is how the Rhett Wilkinson incident happened (coincidentally, I learned that Rhett is the older brother of former Runnin Ute Blake Wilkinson, which makes his hack-job, hit piece on travis wilson all the more puzzling......)

Its too bad that Tony Jones is no longer on the Utes beat. I understand why the trib moved him up to the Jazz, but I miss him. Goon does all right, IMO. He doesn't give as much as Tony did, and he can be annoying with his occasional trips up on his soap box.

From Paul Huntsman's letter to readers today:

"So let's now address the elephant in the room. I am an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been a bishop. I make no apologies for this. I embrace the belief that Hindus, Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Jews, Muslims, Unitarians, atheists and every person of goodwill has a right to a shot at this planet's brass ring without undue pressure to change. I also believe in the independence of church and state and press.

"So here is my promise to Utah: As long as I am the owner/publisher, The Salt Lake Tribune will never be held hostage by ideology, political persuasions, business pressure or particular dogma.

"We will hold every person of influence and entities accountable for their actions as we will hold ourselves responsible for fairness, accuracy and independence.

"It is crucial to the civic health of any democracy to have a strong, reliable, independent second opinion. I would not have it any other way, nor should you expect it."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Great start...

SLC deserves a strong, independent newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    SLC deserves a strong, independent newspaper
    Agreed and it has been lacking that for a number of years now. The Trib right now is a pile of crap covered by clickbait.

I hope Huntsman can set it back on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has he owned it during these BYU rape victim shaming articles? Because that's made it pretty clear that they won't be toeing any lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Has he owned it during these BYU rape victim shaming articles? Because that's made it pretty clear that they won't be toeing any lines.

Nope. The purchase was just finalized this week

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    From Paul Huntsman's letter to readers today:

"So let's now address the elephant in the room. I am an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been a bishop. I make no apologies for this. I embrace the belief that Hindus, Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Jews, Muslims, Unitarians, atheists and every person of goodwill has a right to a shot at this planet's brass ring without undue pressure to change. I also believe in the independence of church and state and press.

"So here is my promise to Utah: As long as I am the owner/publisher, The Salt Lake Tribune will never be held hostage by ideology, political persuasions, business pressure or particular dogma.

"We will hold every person of influence and entities accountable for their actions as we will hold ourselves responsible for fairness, accuracy and independence.

"It is crucial to the civic health of any democracy to have a strong, reliable, independent second opinion. I would not have it any other way, nor should you expect it."

Love the Huntsmans