Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which bathroom should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The culture might still think it should be illegal to trans-pee in the cis-pool, but the legislature somehow found a good balance here.
    For good or bad that 'somehow' is because the LDS church brought that to the table. That was a result of previous policies supported by the LDS church in Salt Lake City and THAT was a result of church leaders and LGBT leaders sitting down together monthly in private over the past few years.

Funny how it works when people sit down together and start talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baby steps. But the situation in Utah is certainly better than in NC, Mississippi,Texas, etc.

The church leadership can fix the cultural problem by standing up in General Conference and telling members to love and accept their lgbt children and to stop kicking them out of the house because of it. That will make an immediate cultural improvement.

As it stands now my friend's trans son is required to be excommunicated according to the Church Handbook of Instructions because he had gender reassignment surgery. My Bishop refuses to even talk about doing anything like that, because he sees that requirement as unnecessarily hateful and destructive.

As it stands now my friend's trans son is required to be excommunicated according to the Church Handbook of Instructions because he had gender reassignment surgery. My Bishop refuses to even talk about doing anything like that, because he sees that requirement as unnecessarily hateful and destructive.
    Not quite. IIRC the Handbook says a disciplinary council must be held in such a case. The outcome is up to the council.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

My Bishop refuses to even talk about doing anything like that, because he sees that requirement as unnecessarily hateful and destructive.
    If a bishop is operating a disciplinary council in the context of hate and destruction he's already screwed it up. Bizarre thing for a bishop to say if he gets the process.

Now if he said, "I don't think a disciplinary council is going to help this person..." Then yeah. Also LA is right, the outcome (such as excommunication) isn't pre-determined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk