Thread: Whither the PAC-12 Network?

Whither the PAC-12 Network?

Interesting article by Jon Wilner:

Pac-12 finances: SEC and Big Ten
    revenue comps, Pac-12 Networks profit, Larry Scott’s pay and much more

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...12475585937500

I am not sure what to make of these numbers at this point. It does occur to me that the decision not to sell part of the "asset" to ESPN or Fox, et al., is looking pretty prescient, with the advance of streaming technology.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-22-2016 at 03:20 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

More on this subject from the SL Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3919194-1...ibers-say-they

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

ESPN Loses Another 1.5 Million Subscribers As Cord Cutting Accelerates

I am no expert, but think it may be turning out to be a good thing the PAC-12 hasn't sold its content to the networks. Down the road we may be paying more for that content (our our favorite league will be making less money).

--Yeats

PAC-12 Network content coming on... Twitter?

Pac-12 Networks reaches landmark distribution deals with Twitter, Cox, Frontier

http://pac-12.com/article/2016/07/13...r-cox-frontier

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    PAC-12 Network content coming on... Twitter?

Pac-12 Networks reaches landmark distribution deals with Twitter, Cox, Frontier

http://pac-12.com/article/2016/07/13...r-cox-frontier
    weird, can't say I've watched anything live on twitter before

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Considering that they won't show any basketball or football, that statement will likely continue to hold true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I watched Pac-mas live on Twitter.

There were a lot of Pac 12 Network threads to choose from, but I went with this one.

New article from Wilner: https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/...-you-imagined/

Information provided to the Hotline by SNL Kagan, the renown media research firm, indicates the Pac-12 Networks have lost seven percent of their audience since the peak in 2016, with much of the decline attributed to the discontinuation of service on U-verse last year.
    The figure provided on the website is a lump-sum amount. Two Hotline sources with access have copied down that amount over the years, then dived by 12 to determine the payouts to each school.

Those payout numbers are as follows:

2013: None listed
    2014: $862,000 per school
    2015 $1,677,500 per school
    2016 $1,980,250 per school
    2017: $2,522,167 per school
    2018: $2,666,667 per school
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.