Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA football

2016 NCAA football

They say Briles is out at Baylor. I think that's a bad idea. I'm guessing Baylor regrets this in a few years when Briles is tearing it up for someone else. People forget quickly in college football. An apology with a "I didn't understand the scope of what had happened" followed by a successful season would have probably been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    They say Briles is out at Baylor. I think that's a bad idea. I'm guessing Baylor regrets this in a few years when Briles is tearing it up for someone else. People forget quickly in college football. An apology with a "I didn't understand the scope of what had happened" followed by a successful season would have probably been enough.
    You're serious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. It is now on the front page of ESPN.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You're serious?

And by you're serious I mean you really think they should have kept him

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And by you're serious I mean you really think they should have kept him

Gotcha. I agree. I can't see how he could keep his job with all the info that is making out about the investigation

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

2016 NCAA football

I'm thinking of football only. Baylor isn't Ohio State. There might not be an Urban Meyer to come in and save the day. I think they could have weathered the storm, reprimanded Briles, and kept the only coach who's ever done anything in Waco.

I do think Briles will be successful somewhere else, and many Baylor fans will look back and second guess this decision. We'll see.
    Your first sentence is the problem.

Yeesh.

Baylor to fire football coach Art Briles amid sexual assault scandal

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ault/84973662/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Yeesh.

Baylor to fire football coach Art Briles amid sexual assault scandal

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ault/84973662/
    Looking forward to a sweep in 2023 and 2024!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Looking forward to a sweep in 2023 and 2024!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Brian Johnson will have his work cut out for him in his first year as our HC.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So many tears for Mr. Copy everything Oregon, then accuse Oregon of copying Baylor. I guess now the playoff committee doesn't need to worry about having someone that wants to be buried in Texas when they die on it.

I'm thinking of football only. Baylor isn't Ohio State. There might not be an Urban Meyer to come in and save the day. I think they could have weathered the storm, reprimanded Briles, and kept the only coach who's ever done anything in Waco.

I do think Briles will be successful somewhere else, and many Baylor fans will look back and second guess this decision. We'll see.
    The first bolded statement is a fool's errand. Nobody of influence is looking at this only through a football-first lens. The second bolded statement is straight from the naive fanboy playbook. It's often a cliche, but it's the truth in this case: There are things far more important than football

Briles might be successful somewhere else, but it's gonna have to be in the NFL first. What university today would have hired an alive-and-kicking Joe Paterno still in his 50s? Would you hire Art Briles at Utah today? Only an idiot would say yes, because I can guarantee you that for every big-moneyed booster that would be OK with it, there would be dozens more that would just sit on their hands until Briles left.

Sorry, but it annoys the hell out of me when people try and place athletic accomplishment over basic principles. The Baylor fans who would second-guess this decision have little to nothing in the way of core values.

Blog Entries
    Despite my high level of disdain for Briles taking shots at Oregon, he can be our OC.

Also, I'm willing to bet there's at least one AD in the Big 12 that would've moved to have Baylor kicked out of the league if they kept Briles. The pressure on schools to disassociate themselves from Baylor would have been enormous, and really would've opened up options for the Big 12 with the expansion issue (You know Houston would've loved for Baylor to keep its former HC on board). It would be akin to BYU and the LDS Church reinstating the priesthood ban against blacks, or having never rescinded the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Despite my high level of disdain for Briles taking shots at Oregon, he can be our OC.
    "I hate Briles because he insulted my Inner Fan Boy, but not because he actively perpetuated a culture of rape and intimidation at Baylor." What the hell is wrong with you?
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 05-27-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Yeah I don't get the people willing to turn the other cheek here.

Briles and representatives met directly with at least one of the complainants and failed to report the accusations.

How can anyone defend that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    "I hate Briles because he insulted my Inner Fan Boy, but not because he actively perpetuated a culture of rape and intimidation at Baylor." What the hell is wrong with you?
    It was a joke. In response to the post right above mine. Briles coaching career is over for at least the near future, possibly forever.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    It was a joke. In response to the post right above mine. Briles coaching career is over for at least the near future, possibly forever.
    You easily get the benefit of the doubt here.

2016 NCAA football

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You easily get the benefit of the doubt here.
    Whenever HFN says anything that might seem mean or dumb on the surface, I try to figure out where his joke us. It's just not in his DNA to be mean or dumb.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-27-2016 at 10:07 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Whenever HFN says anything that might seem mean or dumb on the surface, I try to figure out where his joke us. It's just not in his DNA to be mean or dumb.
    I didn't think it was mean. :what:

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I didn't think it was mean. :what:
    Neither did I. SCP thought it was dumb, but now sees it was ironic.

--Yeats

So now that we've established HFN as a truly terrible person, what do you think we can do to get Briles as our OC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    So now that we've established HFN as a truly terrible person, what do you think we can do to get Briles as our OC?

We can go back to being the deepest in the nation at the offensive coordinator position!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

2016 NCAA football

I'm just rehabilitating HFN. He needs that every so often.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-28-2016 at 09:28 AM.

--Yeats

Blog Entries

:applause:

t-minus 5 hours until this season starts!

They say this is the best opening weekend of college football in history. Here's the viewing schedule:

Thursday: Utah obviously. The only P5/P5 games are South Carolina @ Vandy and Oregon St @ Minnesota

Friday: CSU/CU rivalry game. Turn to KState @ Stanford during commercials.

Saturday morning: Oklahoma vs Houston. Missou @ WVU during breaks.

Early afternoon: UCLA @ A&M. LSU @ Wisconsin during breaks.

Evening: USC vs Bama.

Sunday evening: Notre Dame @ Texas

Monday evening: Ole Miss @ FSU

This Houston game has been great. Kick 6, baby!

western Michigan knocks off northwestern.

western Michigan knocks off northwestern.
    And south Alabama beats Mississippi state.