Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Preseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Corey Butler Byrd has had his court summons moved up to August 15.
    Good news. Hopefully he will get a fine, pay restitution, and get back to practice...

And we get to watch Cougar fans flip their lid when he gets to play in the rivalry game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    And we get to watch Cougar fans flip their lid when he gets to play in the rivalry game.

That'll be their excuse when we win by 5 touchdowns.

I guess we can see who gets the longer suspension - CBB or whoever the guy was who gave alcohol to minors.

I don't know a thing about CBB other than what is written on message boards, but I'm a tiny bit worried about him being on the field. I'm glad he's on offense now, though. It's harder for a WR to pick up a 15 yard penalty than a DB.

Per John La Follette on the Twitter, Whit said the OL is starting to solidify: LT - Bolles, LG - Asiata C - Dielman RG - Uhatafe, RT - Tevi. Love it. Those guys are gonna maul some folks.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Per John La Follette on the Twitter, Whit said the OL is starting to solidify: LT - Bolles, LG - Asiata C - Dielman RG - Uhatafe, RT - Tevi. Love it. Those guys are gonna maul some folks.
    When I saw Bolles offer list, I had no doubt be would end up our starting LT

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mpfunk; 08-10-2016 at 04:58 PM.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    When I say Bolles offer list, I had no doubt be would end up our starting LT

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    We need Whitt to work a miracle and somehow convince Garrett Bolles to stick around his SR year. He will likely be a 1st round draft pick this year otherwise.

They always seem to miss playing against our best players. Hopefully we will actually be at full strength when we play them this time.

It is time to RUTS in true Lavelle Edwards-ian style.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    We need Whitt to work a miracle and somehow convince Garrett Bolles to stick around his SR year. He will likely be a 1st round draft pick this year otherwise.
    That will be a nice problem to have. If we can turn him into a first rounder in one season it means we're in the thick of it.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

That will be a nice problem to have. If we can turn him into a first rounder in one season it means we're in the thick of it.
    Thinking about this, its not that crazy to think that we might have 3 guys leave early after this year in Bolles, Lowell, and M. Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Thinking about this, its not that crazy to think that we might have 3 guys leave early after this year in Bolles, Lowell, and M. Williams.
    Don't forget Troy Williams.

Siale Fakalaiatonga is done for the year with a torn ACL, same ACL he tore last season. This is terrible news, the throwing game really looked like garbage after he was injured last year, he was one reason I thought maybe we would be better in the throw game. Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Siale Fakalaiatonga is done for the year with a torn ACL, same ACL he tore last season. This is terrible news, the throwing game really looked like garbage after he was injured last year, he was one reason I thought maybe we would be better in the throw game. Not anymore.
    I agree that this is very bad news.

It's still early, but it's starting to look like we have a QB: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4223702...-pulling-ahead

I listened to Whitt's full interview on the radio (which got a little choppy on audio quality), but a few highlights:

- the WRs have been challenged to step up. Monson said Coach Holliday says it's not a question of having the athletes, but about who's going to grab the opportunity.

- Among the LBs, Whitt mentioned Sunia Tauteoli as standing out, and said Barton has picked it up the past few practices. Kavika is still thinking too much, he's still adjusting.

- RB Zack Moss was mentioned as "really opening some eyes".

Great stuff.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 08-11-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    It's still early, but it's starting to look like we have a QB: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4223702...-pulling-ahead
    This is good news. Odds have been it's Williams or we're in trouble.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It seems that more and more playing those 9 league games is becoming a disadvantage. I'm with Whit, either everyone does it, or nobody does it.
    The 9 game schedule has been an albatross around the neck of the Pac for a long time. When it was so that all P10 teams played each other and could establish a true champion then I could at least accept an argument for the benefit of 9 league games. Now it is damaging to the conference.

A new depth chart is out this week...sounds like we'll have quite a few freshman pushing for playing time this year.

Also, Austin Lee has left the program.

Great article on Garrett Bolles:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4228956-1...elf?fullpage=1

I never knew any of this about him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

A new depth chart is out this week...sounds like we'll have quite a few freshman pushing for playing time this year.

Also, Austin Lee has left the program.
    Damn! I liked Austin and thought he would be a good safety for us. Any word on why he left?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Damn! I liked Austin and thought he would be a good safety for us. Any word on why he left?
    Probably realized he won't see the field. I wish him good success wherever he ends up.

Looks like Troy Williams is inching his way towards being named the starter. I mean, he's been named without being named because, you know, that's what Whit does.

I think Lee illustrates the difficulty in recruiting kids who intend to serve missions before enrolling. You just don't know how the kid will change in 2 years and how the program will change. Although by all accounts Lee was a good kid and a hard worker, I thought it was clear that he was not going to be more than a special teams contributor at Utah. The same is probably true for Jake Jackson. It will be interesting to see the development of Tonga and Pututau.

Anyone who needs to get their fix for football needs to get the Periscope app on their phones and follow "Utah Football".

They have been streaming videos daily.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Anyone who needs to get their fix for football needs to get the Periscope app on their phones and follow "Utah Football".

They have been streaming videos daily.
    Love watching the circle drills. Those look awful.

Love watching the circle drills. Those look awful.

It is definitely a different world at that level.

There is a new, glowing article in the trib about the wrs/qb. I want to believe, but I'm hesitant because of our past.

There is news (to me, at least) that our starting lbs savor now are Barton and tauteoli. Have I mentioned that I'm worried about the lbs?

There is a new, glowing article in the trib about the wrs/qb. I want to believe, but I'm hesitant because of our past.
    Drink the Kool-Aid, AJ. It's delish.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

There is news (to me, at least) that our starting lbs savor now are Barton and tauteoli. Have I mentioned that I'm worried about the lbs?
    Seems like once Luafatasaga "gets it" he'll be in there, and I think we'll see Donovan Thompson push for time as well.

So, Huntley is the new #2? Y'all's thoughts? I feel bad for Cox, but maybe he can become a WR for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1315 View Post
    So, Huntley is the new #2? Y'all's thoughts? I feel bad for Cox, but maybe he can become a WR for next year.
    I think Cox will leave, maybe as early as this year, and go to an FCS program. He has already graduated.