Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Preseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Born and raised in the shadow of RES and an avid college football fan, my opinion is well informed
    I didn't realize you once lived close to the football stadium. I take it all back.

I suggest the following slogans for the upcoming season:

Utah, the new Washington State

Whittingham, Utah's Bronco

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Come on, tooblue. You're better than this.
    if you are going to do a little good-natured trolling (and I prefer to remember your good nature), then get better.
    Even Washington State has been to a Rose Bowl & Bronco was weird but seemed to win 10 games a year.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Come on, tooblue. You're better than this.
    if you are going to do a little good-natured trolling (and I prefer to remember your good nature), then get better.
    Even Washington State has been to a Rose Bowl & Bronco was weird but seemed to win 10 games a year.
    Where was this esprit de défense with regards SeattleUte's behaviour of late? Oh, well. I've had too much time on my hands these past few days while I wait for feedback from my advisors and director of studies. Don't worry, life will keep me better occupied in the near future, not to mention the season will start soon and I much prefer to just watch the games and not comment about it.

Last edited by tooblue; 08-20-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Tooblue isn't speaking gospel, but he has a point about last year. I don't know if Utah should have been a playoff team, but when you consider the senior QBs Utah has had who were multiple year starters over the last 20 years and who played their entire senior year (McCoy, Fouts, Alex, Brian), Travis is the clear outlier -- I cut Fouts some slack because the defense was decimated by injury in the last third of the season, and 1996 just happened to be BYU's best team ever.

With the defenses and STs that Kyle has built, anything less than a South title in a year in which we have a multiple-year starting senior QB should be rightly viewed as disappointing. Especially when we start 6-0 and beat the best team in the league over the last decade by 6 TDs at their place.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Tooblue isn't speaking gospel, but he has a point about last year. I don't know if Utah should have been a playoff team, but when you consider the senior QBs Utah has had who were multiple year starters over the last 20 years and who played their entire senior year (McCoy, Fouts, Alex, Brian), Travis is the clear outlier -- I cut Fouts some slack because the defense was decimated by injury in the last third of the season, and 1996 just happened to be BYU's best team ever.

With the defenses and STs that Kyle has built, anything less than a South title in a year in which we have a multiple-year starting senior QB should be rightly viewed as disappointing. Especially when we start 6-0 and beat the best team in the league over the last decade by 6 TDs at their place.
    If you knew anything about Utah history, you would know that Alex never even played as a senior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

Geez, we won 10 games in a really good conference with a QB who was never in the same class as the four guys you mentioned. We finished ranked.

If Fouts gets a pass for key injuries, maybe we can remember that Booker didn't play against UCLA. I'm not sure how anyone can watch that game and think Booker's injury isn't the difference.
    Last edited by sancho; 08-20-2016 at 02:51 PM.

2016 Preseason Thread

Captains are:
    Troy Williams
    JJ Deilman
    Jason Thompson
    Hunter Dimick
    Domo Hatfield.

(For those that didn't see Hatfield seems to have really used his second chance well, he was on the last deans list)

Last edited by Diehard Ute; 08-20-2016 at 08:03 PM.

GREAT article in the Trib on Scalley: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4261248...s-influence-on

When Whitt brought Pease back when Sitake left, I had a hunch this was a chess move. Pease calling Scalley right after that move and telling him what he did, reveals a pretty sophisticated level of staff development by Whitt.

With stability on the offensive side, and Erickson's extended salvation from playing too many bad rounds of golf, I think things are looking as well as they ever have, in terms of our coaching staff, certainly in the Whitt era.

Scalley.jpg

Great article.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Watched the Pac 12 training camp report from SLC this weekend. Lots of good content there including interviews with Whit, HardRod, Scalley, Troy Williams, Jo Williams, Marcus Williams, Dimick, Fitts, and a feature on the DL at the U. There was even an appearance by Kyle Goon. All in all very positive (I know these camp reports are mostly fluff pieces, but still, lots of good stuff.

10 Days!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Also, the AP top 25 came out over the weekend:

8: Stanford
    14: Washington - The hype machine has taken over
    16: UCLA
    20: USC
    24: Oregon

Utah checks in at 28 and Wazzu at 29

Should these results mostly hold, we'll host 3 of the 4 top 25 teams we play. Not bad.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Wilner in with his season predictions: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...dictions-2016/

He's got us going 8-4 with losses coming @Cal, @UCLA, vs. Oregon and @CU.

ESPN Pac-12 blog lists their pre-season all conference team. The usual suspects with Dielman, Lotulelei, Fitts, and M. Williams. Surprisingly, Phillips doesn't make the list.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/...-pac-12-team-2

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    ESPN Pac-12 blog lists their pre-season all conference team. The usual suspects with Dielman, Lotulelei, Fitts, and M. Williams. Surprisingly, Phillips doesn't make the list.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/...-pac-12-team-2
    He was listed as the first team all american kicker on another site. Lousy pre-season rags!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Wilner in with his season predictions: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...dictions-2016/

He's got us going 8-4 with losses coming @Cal, @UCLA, vs. Oregon and @CU.
    Wilner's interesting observation: we have started strong every year, and died at the end, when our lack of a passing game catches up with us.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Wilner's interesting observation: we have started strong every year, and died at the end, when our lack of a passing game catches up with us.
    Well, and the notion that we haven't really earned the benefit of the doubt in the passing game is probably accurate and fair unfortunately. Here's hoping that trend reverses. I think it will.

Per a Kyle Goon tweet, the CBB matter has been resolved. He'll pay a $1700 fine (rounding up) and if he goes 12 months without another incident it will be dropped. He also has to get mental health counseling.

Per a Kyle Goon tweet, the CBB matter has been resolved. He'll pay a $1700 fine (rounding up) and if he goes 12 months without another incident it will be dropped. He also has to get mental health counseling.
    The actual tweets:

Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon 13m13 minutes ago
    Cory Butler-Byrd has entered a guilty plea in abeyance for his class A misdemeanor of criminal mischief stemming from his July incident.

Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon 10m10 minutes ago
    The charge will be dismissed pending 12 month without a criminal offense, mental health counseling, and paying $1,691.50 for the damage.

Kyle Goon ‏@kylegoon 9m9 minutes ago
    Butler-Byrd has already submitted to a mental health evaluation and is making his first payment for restitution. Yet to talk with coaches.

The actual tweets:
    I had the embedding down...I don't know what happened.

Sounds like we're a ways away from seeing him on the field...or at least that is what my guess would be. Maybe he can get back sooner.

I had the embedding down...I don't know what happened.

Sounds like we're a ways away from seeing him on the field...or at least that is what my guess would be. Maybe he can get back sooner.
    This site doesn't allow us to embed tweets.

This site doesn't allow us to embed tweets.
    I think U-Ute has been working on that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

If the O-Line is as good as it appears, then I'm not worried about the running backs.

Even if Joe Williams and Troy McCormick are average D-I backs their production will likely be impressive.

My high school football team won the Southern California CIF championship by a score of 33-7. The score would have been something like 50-0 if the second and third string weren't brought in. The offense only attempted three passes the entire game, two of them safe little dump offs. The opponent stacked the box and still could not stop the run game. As a somewhat ignorant freshman watching from the stands I thought we had one fantastic set of backs. Four or five were rotated though as the game progressed, each one racking up 7, 8, 10+ yards a pop. As the years passed, not one of the running backs played D-I. Three offensive lineman played D-I, one of them, Dave Dalby, a ten year starting center for the Oakland Raiders.

If the passing game is just average (i.e., a somewhat balanced offense) this could be a fine season.
    Last edited by Ultimate Ute; 08-22-2016 at 09:54 PM.

I will always appreciate Travis Wilson for battling his heart out to be the best possible QB he could be.

That said, I believe Troy Williams will be a bit better at anticipating the receiver getting open and at making reads in the passing game. That alone will help, as well better route discipline from the receivers. I read an article somewhere that quoted a DB from a different PAC 12 school who said they always knew which way the ball was going based on the way the WR acted, because the off side WR would lazy patterns. Something about the ball never coming their way...

I like three RBs in the mix right now, Williams, McCormick, and Moss. We will have the fastest backfield in our history this year, along with some serious power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Ute View Post
    Even if Joe Williams and Troy McCormick are average D-I backs their production will likely be impressive.

My high school football team won the Southern California CIF championship by a score of 33-7. The score would have been something like 50-0 if the second and third string weren't brought in. The offense only attempted three passes the entire game, two of them safe little dump offs. The opponent stacked the box and still could not stop the run game. As a somewhat ignorant freshman watching from the stands I thought we had one fantastic set of backs. Four or five were rotated though as the game progressed, each one racking up 7, 8, 10+ yards a pop. As the years passed, not one of the running backs played D-I. Three offensive lineman played D-I, one of them, Dave Dalby, a ten year starting center for the Oakland Raiders.

If the passing game is just average (i.e., a somewhat balanced offense) this could be a fine season.
    It's good to see you here, Ultimate!

--Yeats

A couple of recent fall walk-on additions to the roster are Quinn Meier and Connor Haller. Both played at Olympus and both had multiple FCS offers. Meier is a very fast RB who I would't be surprised to move to the slot or to CB. Haller is a 6'2" safety. Both recently returned from LDS missions (late July) and had the opportunity to walk-on at BYU. Significantly, Haller is Covey's first cousin and they are really close. I don't know if either of these kids will ever play a meaningful down of football at the U, but they are the type of kids who have the football smarts and enough athleticism to get a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    A couple of recent fall walk-on additions to the roster are Quinn Meier and Connor Haller. Both played at Olympus and both had multiple FCS offers. Meier is a very fast RB who I would't be surprised to move to the slot or to CB. Haller is a 6'2" safety. Both recently returned from LDS missions (late July) and had the opportunity to walk-on at BYU. Significantly, Haller is Covey's first cousin and they are really close. I don't know if either of these kids will ever play a meaningful down of football at the U, but they are the type of kids who have the football smarts and enough athleticism to get a shot.
    Did Quinn Meier return from a mission or his he just out of high school? I don't frequent the recruiting boards so I don't know how it works but they are saying he is class of 2016 (is that graduating class or recruiting class)? I checked it out because I was good friends with some Meiers in the Olympus area and wanted to see if I could figure out if he was part of that ilk. The ones I knew were big BYU fans.

Olympus High is referring to him as a preferred walk-on which I would assume that he has been promised a scholarship somewhere down the line?

User Actions
    Following

Bill Riley@espn700bill
    #Utes Head Coach Kyle Whittingham has partially reinstated WR Cory Butler-Byrd to the team. He will practice but not play for now