Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Preseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Did Quinn Meier return from a mission or his he just out of high school? I don't frequent the recruiting boards so I don't know how it works but they are saying he is class of 2016 (is that graduating class or recruiting class)? I checked it out because I was good friends with some Meiers in the Olympus area and wanted to see if I could figure out if he was part of that ilk. The ones I knew were big BYU fans.

Olympus High is referring to him as a preferred walk-on which I would assume that he has been promised a scholarship somewhere down the line?
    He is from the same family. The family are big BYU fans. Maybe I was thinking of his older brother when I said that he was an RM. I just did not remember a Meier from this past year at OLY.

A preferred walk-on has not been promised a scholarship. What it usually means is that you will be included on the 105 camp roster. He wasn't on that roster, and was just added on the first day of school.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Significantly, Haller is Covey's first cousin and they are really close.
    This is very good news. Hopefully it's enough to cause Britain to rethink his transfer when he gets home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Wilner's interesting observation: we have started strong every year, and died at the end, when our lack of a passing game catches up with us.
    But he says that the rest of the program is in every respect top tier. The Utes were 10-3 last season in the toughest conference top to bottom in the country. I keep hearing that it's the same this season. We should be really proud of their established reputation as a stellar Pac 12 program. Most recently tonight on Ferrell on the Bench I heard such praise for the Pac 12 and Utah.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

And for Utah:

SUU - 96%. Too low.
    BYU - 64%. About right.
    San Jose State - 67%. I hope this is too low. I don't want to have to worry about this game. But I will admit I know nothing about SJSU.
    USC - 29%. How low will this number go if the Trojans pull off the upset next week?
    Cal - 47%. The first of many 50/50 games for the Utes.
    Zona - 54%. Feels right.
    Oregon St - 69%. Unless OSU has improved dramatically, this is low.
    UCLA - 20%. Ouch. 20%? That makes us bigger underdogs to the Bruins than OSU is to us. Not buying.
    UW - 34%. We'll certainly know by then if these odds were accurate.
    ASU - 49%.
    Oregon - 50%. Feels weird to think our odds vs Oregon are the same as vs ASU, Arizona, and Cal. Like AJ said, though, can't argue with math.
    CU - 56%. I think this is too low, but CU has usually kept it close vs Utah.

What's missing here is a few sure thing wins. If our weakest FBS opponent really has a 30% shot at us, we could have a tough season. That's the Pac-12, though. There would be some 80% "rest games" in the Big12, Big10, or ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Oh man, calling us a team that was in an NY6 bowl the year before last? Ouch. That really hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Oh man, calling us a team that was in an NY6 bowl the year before last? Ouch. That really hurts.
    Well, we know you all love being a PAC12 team more than actually celebrating and being able to sell your own brand and besides, your comrades bristled at being called the The New Washington State, so I upgraded it a little.

Well, we know you all love being a PAC12 team more than actually celebrating and being able to sell your own brand and besides, your comrades bristled at being called the The New Washington State, so I upgraded it a little.
    So I think a big part of the PAC12 logo-ness of Utah fans is to tweak BYU fans; and as is evidenced here, works wonderfully well. It is the ultimate 'Program Scoreboard' between the two schools.

We already have Alabama's Defense and one of the best Special Teams games in the nation. If we could add Washington State's Offense on top of that we would crush everybody on our schedule and make the playoffs every year.

So I think a big part of the PAC12 logo-ness of Utah fans is to tweak BYU fans; and as is evidenced here, works wonderfully well. It is the ultimate 'Program Scoreboard' between the two schools.
    Ask any expert on Utah and by association mormons (namely SU). They'll tell you it's due to a deep seated insecurity and desire to be accepted by the world in general and the left coast in particular. How many posters on this board spent at least a week of vacation in Newport beach this year? Really, the slogan should be: State of Utah, the New California.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-26-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Ask any expert on Utah and by association mormons (namely SU). They'll tell you it's due to a deep seated insecurity and desire to be accepted by the world in general and the left coast in particular. How many posters on this board spent at least a week of vacation in Newport beach this year? Really, the slogan should be: State of Utah, the New California.
    I'm confused. Are you trolling Ute fans? Or mormons? Or Utahns? Or Californians?

You need to be more constructive with your criticism.

TB, I think you are a good guy. I'll be plain-spoken and blunt. This is a place where like-minded people go to have fun while discussing relatively frivolous things that nevertheless matter to them. I wish you would not come here and try to make those people unhappy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    TB, I think you are a good guy. I'll be plain-spoken and blunt. This is a place where like-minded people go to have fun while discussing relatively frivolous things that nevertheless matter to them. I wish you would not come here and try to make those people unhappy.
    Oh, now LA it's all in good fun. It's college football game day today after all. I find it strange though you don't want to have any BYU fans here, speaking their mind and keeping you all honest. I'm sure none of you can be considered guilty of the doing the same on other boards? Regardless, I'll be better behaved.

So am I the ultimate secure in himself mormon because I didn't go to newport this year, nor do I have any PAC12 gear? I'm just asking because I'm updating my resume.

So am I the ultimate secure in himself mormon because I didn't go to newport this year, nor do I have any PAC12 gear? I'm just asking because I'm updating my resume.
    I am sorry if I have offended you. I apologize for my meanness.

I'm so insecure I had to get a job there. I may have to upgrade my P12 gear game, though.

Although he may be on to something here; this morning, when dropping my kids off at school, there were three cars lined up in a row with U of U license plate covers. Apparently just vacationing in SoCal isn't enough anymore!

Oh, now LA it's all in good fun. It's college football game day today after all. I find it strange though you don't want to have any BYU fans here, speaking their mind and keeping you all honest. I'm sure none of you can be considered guilty of the doing the same on other boards? Regardless, I'll be better behaved.
    You're not hurting me. I just don't understand the "skunk at the garden party" impulse. It's certainly not unique to you.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

To get back to my original contribution to this thread. Ron McBride is on the radio right now singing the same tune I have been singing about Kyle Whittingham, of course he's dancing around it a little, but here's a direct quote: "He's just a conservative coach."

To get back to my original contribution to this thread. Ron McBride is on the radio right now singing the same tune I have been singing about Kyle Whittingham, of course he's dancing around it a little, but here's a direct quote: "He's just a conservative coach."
    And water is wet.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    And water is wet.
    Preach that Utah football gospel brother.

That is your "original" contribution to this thread? You should start a thread devoted to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That is your "original" contribution to this thread? You should start a thread devoted to the topic.
    So sorry Smackjack, I meant to say my 'unique' contribution to this particular thread.

So sorry Smackjack, I meant to say my 'unique' contribution to this particular thread.
    Wait, your "unique" contribution is the observation that Kyle is a conservative coach? I think your unique insight is universally shared by Ute fans and Ute haters alike.

I look forward to your next unique observation. Is our offense subpar? Do we have trouble developing QBs? Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Wait, your "unique" contribution is the observation that Kyle is a conservative coach? I think your unique insight is universally shared by Ute fans and Ute haters alike.

I look forward to your next unique observation. Is our offense subpar? Do we have trouble developing QBs? Do tell.
    (sorry LA, I should answer this) My 'unique' contribution to this thread was to state something even more obvious: Kyle Whittingham is Utah's Bronco.

Pepe Le Pew (Small).jpg

I am sorry if I have offended you. I apologize for my meanness.
    How have you offended me? According to you I'm awesome!

Look, I empathize with BYU fans, the endless stringing along by the BIG12 has got to feel an awful lot like the time when you asked that girl to prom and she didn't respond for two weeks and avoided you in the halls in the hope that someone else would ask her. The trauma of bringing that sort of memory back to the surface would be a lot of pain, I am sure. Hang in there, I'll bet they are just very busy right now, but are very excited to have you..

How have you offended me? According to you I'm awesome!

Look, I empathize with BYU fans, the endless stringing along by the BIG12 has got to feel an awful lot like the time when you asked that girl to prom and she didn't respond for two weeks and avoided you in the halls in the hope that someone else would ask her. The trauma of bringing that sort of memory back to the surface would be a lot of pain, I am sure. Hang in there, I'll bet they are just very busy right now, but are very excited to have you..
    4ea4e79503e29-image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This site doesn't allow us to embed tweets.

VBulletin strips out all embed codes because it would allow a user to run arbitrary and malicious code on your system.

I'm getting closer on using the Twitter oEmbed API to allow us to do it the right way.

We are mentioned here twice as a trap game, once for USC and once for Washington.

The one game that could ruin each Top 25 college football team's season

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...t-picks-083016

--Yeats

I'm pumping myself up with McBride era highlights:

1993 vs. SDSU (I was there): Classic MAFU ball. He has a future NFL MVP in Jamal Anderson but instead he starts Pierre Jones at RB until it becomes apparent that they cannot stop Jamal. Also features Mike McCoy, Marshall Faulk, Darnay Scott (remember him?), Henry Lusk, and His Holiness Chris Yergensen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmbghlWNKGs

1995 vs. AFA (I was there): Another MAFU masterpiece. Fouts engineers two drives in 40 seconds (including the worst onsides kick that actually works) when Utah should have done this the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6lIMqU-GM

1995 vs Utah St: Chris Fuamatu Maafala's coming out party (and the reason for the grab ass in Logan the next year)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3SRyL6DKGA