Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2016 Preseason Thread

Here's a fun little blast from the past (1991?):

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Is Barton that can be seen in this video is the father of the current Barton on our team, that is giving AJ such heartburn at LB?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Is Barton that can be seen in this video is the father of the current Barton on our team, that is giving AJ such heartburn at LB?
    Yes, that's him. To be clear, I am grateful for Barton and his gene pool. His son should be in the two-deep, it's the starter label that has me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yes, that's him. To be clear, I am grateful for Barton and his gene pool. His son should be in the two-deep, it's the starter label that has me worried.
    Why?

He's got the size, based in his genes (his mom was an insane athlete for the U) he's got the athletic ability, and he's got the attitude to play LB.

From what I've seen he was certainly a late bloomer especially size wise, he seems to have really matured the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Why?

He's got the size, based in his genes (his mom was an insane athlete for the U) he's got the athletic ability, and he's got the attitude to play LB.

From what I've seen he was certainly a late bloomer especially size wise, he seems to have really matured the last year.

Look, I'm hoping that our linebackers are great, all Pac12 performers (hattip: Utah). But I worry that they didn't get any playing time at all last year. Granted, there were three seniors in front of them, but in the USC game in which Whittingham and Norris were hurt we played Masina (retired). That alone doesn't give me confidence that Barton is the answer at LB.

Now, maybe he is a late bloomer. God knows we've seen that before. I'm just worried a key defensive position group is being manned by a lightly recruited JC transfer and a lightly recruited sophomore, both of whom have zero game experience at this level. I think there is reason to doubt.

Thanks for posting that. This is the era of Ute football that started to reel me in as a kid. Did Utah not have a kicker who could make a PAT from the 18? Going for two in the first half is so bizarre, yet such a Mac thing to do as far as the kicking game went at that time.

I think there is reason to doubt.
    There is always reason to doubt until you've seen someone play. We have reason to worry about QB, WR, and LB. And P, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Thanks for posting that. This is the era of Ute football that started to reel me in as a kid. Did Utah not have a kicker who could make a PAT from the 18? Going for two in the first half is so bizarre, yet such a Mac thing to do as far as the kicking game went at that time.
    LOL. And the play was from the 15 because of the penalty. total MAFU move.

So, because I said our LB'ers would be average, i.e., middle of the road that suddenly means they will be all PAC-12?

Ummmmmm....ok?

I'm pumping myself up with McBride era highlights:

1993 vs. SDSU (I was there): Classic MAFU ball. He has a future NFL MVP in Jamal Anderson but instead he starts Pierre Jones at RB until it becomes apparent that they cannot stop Jamal. Also features Mike McCoy, Marshall Faulk, Darnay Scott (remember him?), Henry Lusk, and His Holiness Chris Yergensen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmbghlWNKGs

1995 vs. AFA (I was there): Another MAFU masterpiece. Fouts engineers two drives in 40 seconds (including the worst onsides kick that actually works) when Utah should have done this the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6lIMqU-GM

1995 vs Utah St: Chris Fuamatu Maafala's coming out party (and the reason for the grab ass in Logan the next year)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3SRyL6DKGA
    I wasn't at sdsu but did watch the game in wendover. First and only time I've bet on the Utes. Nice to get a win and win some cash.

My bil made the first catch shown in the AFA highlights. (I was also there)
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Knowing swinney, I wouldn't be surprised if its a promo for his site on scout.com.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Knowing swinney, I wouldn't be surprised if its a promo for his site on scout.com.
    This is such pathetic small-time manipulative nonsense from Swinney, a no-talent guy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This is such pathetic small-time manipulative nonsense from Swinney, a no-talent guy.
    Did someone hack LA's account?

Here's the rant I put on FB about it.
    The below post from Brian Swinney is the exact kind of problem I've complained about since he officially joined ESPN700. When you represent the University's flagship station AND represent a paid service built on being privy to "inside information" regarding said University, it's a clear conflict of interest.

Now he can post some garbage vague big announcement to a whole fanbase that is frothing in anticipation of the first kickoff of the season in less than 24 hours and no one knows if the announcement is regarding the University, the radio station he works for or the private website he trying to subscribe people to.

Given that he apparently forgot to make mention of a big announcement in the short three hours he was on the airwaves this afternoon, it seems pretty clear to me what to expect to be revealed.
    And then he starts whining about people's reactions.

Apparently some folks are saying its a real somewhat cool announcement. Guess we will see....

Lol!!!!!!!!

Utezone is combining with swinneys group.

Lol!!!!!!!!

Utezone is combining with swinneys group.
    This was the first thing that came to mind.

https://youtu.be/oS8WWjR7O98

Apparently some folks are saying its a real somewhat cool announcement. Guess we will see....
    Those folks must have lived in Provo for their entire lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Those folks must have lived in Provo for their entire lives.

Ha!

Time to shut this thread down!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Time to shut this thread down!
    Agreed, game day is finally here!

via GIPHY

Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-01-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Close this mutha down!