Thread: Runnin Utes to participate in new "Beehive Classic" starting in 2017

Runnin Utes to participate in new "Beehive Classic" starting in 2017

We had heard that this was happening a month or two ago, but now its official.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40745695&nid...all-tournament

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post

I like it, but it's not really a tournament. Is it not a real tournament because of other preseason tournaments?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post

It seems to me that this opens the door to playing BYU only in this "classic" after 2017. Am I right?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It seems to me that this opens the door to playing BYU only in this "classic" after 2017. Am I right?
    I'm a hack, I posted about this in the Hiatus in the BYU Rivalry thread. But the article on the utahutes.com website explains that BYU and Utah will play each other in the off years, alternating home sites.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2016/7/...e-classic.aspx
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

John Coon thinks it will be Marriott in '17, Vivant in '18, Huntsman in '19, going through that rotation into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'm a hack, I posted about this in the Hiatus in the BYU Rivalry thread. But the article on the utahutes.com website explains that BYU and Utah will play each other in the off years, alternating home sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    John Coon thinks it will be Marriott in '17, Vivant in '18, Huntsman in '19, going through that rotation into the future.
    OK. Whatever. Looks like a modified limited cave-in. But I am fine with it for selfish reasons because I like the basketball rivalry game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I like it, but it's not really a tournament. Is it not a real tournament because of other preseason tournaments?
    It looks like a way to appease the barbarians at the gates.

--Yeats

Too bad I, as a season ticket holder, will likely end up watching a game in Salt Lake on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Too bad I, as a season ticket holder, will likely end up watching a game in Salt Lake on TV.

I agree. This might be fun for the media, but it sucks for the season ticket buyers.

IIRC, when this idea was first floated a few years ago, USU shot it down, saying it would be a road game for them at the Jazz Arena. They wanted home and home series with the U and the Y. Maybe they have been bludgeoned by the legislature too.

Yuck.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

What a bunch of wusses you all are. Your poser elitism is just sad. It's a great idea. Hades, it will dramatically improve your RPI, which is desperately needed in light of the schedule your helicopter-parent of a head coach has put together.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    What a bunch of wusses you all are. Your poser elitism is just sad. It's a great idea. Hades, it will dramatically improve your RPI, which is desperately needed in light of the schedule your helicopter-parent of a head coach has put together.
    I don't mind the idea. Just annoyed that I'm likely not going to be able to see it in person. 4,500 tickets aren't going to make it far.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I am quite offended that you would accuse us of poser elitism. We are flat-out elitists, by golly, and we own it, you peasant.

--Yeats

I don't mind the idea. Just annoyed that I'm likely not going to be able to see it in person. 4,500 tickets aren't going to make it far.

It's likely only donors up to a certain level and some students will have access to tickets through the U. I will be watching the Weber St ticket website when tickets go of sale.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Correct. We don't want to use our exempt games on a round-robin tournament vs. in-state teams, nor do we want to take two home games and turn them into two neutral-site games. Diehard's personal concern very much spreads over into the athletic department's financial matters -- I've got to imagine even a home game against Coppin State is more profitable for us than a neutral-site game against this field.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Correct. We don't want to use our exempt games on a round-robin tournament vs. in-state teams, nor do we want to take two home games and turn them into two neutral-site games. Diehard's personal concern very much spreads over into the athletic department's financial matters -- I've got to imagine even a home game against Coppin State is more profitable for us than a neutral-site game against this field.
    No doubt as the revenue is being split evenly.

TV is "TBA". Who knows if these games will even be visible to those outside of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Basically what this all amounts to is Utah (and BYU to a lesser extent) is subsidizing Utah State and Weber State. I'm willing to bet that the split of revenue for this game is greater for a home game for those two and gives them a chance to get a quality opponent on a neutral floor. Utah and BYU have no real financial or SOS incentive to do this. There is probably a small PR incentive, but mainly I think it comes down to wanting to play nice with the state legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Basically what this all amounts to is Utah (and BYU to a lesser extent) is subsidizing Utah State and Weber State. I'm willing to bet that the split of revenue for this game is greater for a home game for those two and gives them a chance to get a quality opponent on a neutral floor. Utah and BYU have no real financial or SOS incentive to do this. There is probably a small PR incentive, but mainly I think it comes down to wanting to play nice with the state legislature.
    This is just further evidence of how ill-advised Larry's $80K decision was. It hasn't turned out well.

--Yeats

This is just further evidence of how ill-advised Larry's $80K decision was. It hasn't turned out well.
    Meh. Those sucker-punching MF-ers are still off the schedule this year. All is well.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 07-24-2016 at 10:57 AM.