Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hammering Thor: SUU at Utah (9-1-16)

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    The offensive line can't block for shit.
    Yes, and there's that.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Yes, and there's that.
    Uh well... Hell yeah Professor. This O- line needs fawkin' work.

Seriously though... I fawkin blame Sancho.

The O-line seems to be pretty bad tonight. Our RBs are getting tackled in the backfield. 7 tackles by SUU for a loss.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The O-line seems to be pretty bad tonight. Our RBs are getting tackled in the backfield. 7 tackles by SUU for a loss.
    Genius counsel there LA. Jesus Christ our o-line needs more fawkin' work.

Combo of poor line play and RBs not hitting the hole. Joe Williams doesn't remotely look like the player he was last year...almost as though his head isn't in it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Banned
    O-line... seriously. You are responsible for this mess. You sucked tonight. The PAC will destroy this line. Please get your shit together.

Damn... I'm sorry to have bought in with the offensive hype... Clearly, it is not ready for prime time yet. Jesus, not even close yet. The o line really sucked. We are not ready yet. SUU kicked your ass.
    Last edited by Devildog; 09-01-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Combo of poor line play and RBs not hitting the hole. Joe Williams doesn't remotely look like the player he was last year
    The fumble looked like last year!

Huntley looks good.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    As in, nobody even touched him or the ball?

--Yeats

LOL touche.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

This thread is hilarious. This game tells us nothing about Utah. SUU is hopelessly overmatched, and Utah is playing possum with an even more vanilla game plan offensively than usual. The QB looks like he can sling it when asked. The only question is will he be asked to do more than throw the screen and the fly up the side-line—can he make the reads, find and hit receivers over the middle? The defense looks solid, and potentially dominant ... but again, the gameplay overall is vanilla.

Seems to me people think BYU has a decent D-line. Unless our O-line steps things up, it might be a tough game on the 10th.

--Yeats

Banned
    Your fault Sancho. This lame ass performance I completely blame on you. Your fault fawker.

My post game thoughts:

I wanted to see the qb and wr play, and I'm encouraged. Williams looks like an adequate replacement for Travis with potential to be very good. We spread the ball to a lot of receivers, and Patrick was great.

Everything else was about as expected for me. I knew we'd miss Booker a lot, but we might miss him even more than I thought. Have to wonder who's getting the carries next week.

Seems to me people think BYU has a decent D-line. Unless our O-line steps things up, it might be a tough game on the 10th.
    In light of your comment, I'd love to be optimistic. But Utah is playing possum ... this is a scrimmage and nothing more.

Your fault Sancho. This lame ass performance I completely blame on you. Your fault fawker.
    That's fair. I'm gonna do better next week.

O-line... seriously. You are responsible for this mess. You sucked tonight. The PAC will destroy this line. Please get your shit together.

Damn... I'm sorry to have bought in with the offensive hype... Clearly, it is not ready for prime time yet. Jesus, not even close yet. The o line really sucked. We are not ready yet. SUU kicked your ass.
    hey, it was a 24-0 win. SUU's offense did nothing. Utes got a lead & protected it.
    i am encouraged by this game. We saw some 3rd down conversions tonight through the air - something we rarely saw last year. This was SUU's Super Bowl & the Utes dominated. There's a lot to work on, but I am bullish on this team.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    hey, it was a 24-0 win. SUU's offense did nothing. Utes got a lead & protected it.
    i am encouraged by this game. We saw some 3rd down conversions tonight through the air - something we rarely saw last year. This was SUU's Super Bowl & the Utes dominated. There's a lot to work on, but I am bullish on this team.
    This is ridiculous. SUU really has no business showing respectfully against Utah. The difference in players should be obvious. 24 -0? Against an FCS team? Our O-line needs to huddle up and talk. The bYu would have hurt us. Jesus... SUU made our o-line look weak.

Well...my 70-0 prediction was...half right?

The funny thing is, I feel better about our team now than I did this morning. Our defense was unreal. It dominate...while not really being there. Marcus Williams is amazing.

I love what I saw from Troy Williams. His pocket presence, his reading through progressions, his keeping his eyes downfield...I like what we have in him. I really like what we have in him.

Our OL needs help. We need to do better. Good thing BYU's DL is so banged up coming into our game.

We need a RB that can run through the tackles. If we can find a RB that can get us three yards...we could be really, really solid. Combined with our Defense? We could be good.

We aren't there yet. Right now we are an 8 win team. If we can improve the OL and find a tough RB, we could be much, much better.

There is a lot to be happy about. We can all just hope that this will be a good learning experience that has shown the coaches and the players what they need to do. The offensive line seems like the place to start.

--Yeats

There is a lot to be happy about. We can all just hope that this will be a good learning experience that has shown the coaches and the players what they need to do. The offensive line seems like the place to start.
    The most improvement comes between week 1 and week 2, correct?

Plus, I think we will be a little more fired up for our next game, don't you?

Hammering Thor: SUU at Utah (9-1-16)

Dolce made a good point about Troy Williams: he had a good game despite the lack of protection his offensive line gave him. That's a potential bright spot. If the O-line improves Troy could be very successful.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    The most improvement comes between week 1 and week 2, correct?

Plus, I think we will be a little more fired up for our next game, don't you?
    Yep!

--Yeats

USC, UCLA and BYU totally manhandled our OL a year ago. The OL should be embarrassed by their performance tonight. They were pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    USC, UCLA and BYU totally manhandled our OL a year ago. The OL should be embarrassed by their performance tonight. They were pathetic.
    Ragged first game. Bomb to Singletary, then only get 3? The OL has a lot to tighten up. They're veterans, they're not going to sag. For that matter, the DL looked scary ragged for way too many snaps.

The receivers took their game up about 3 levels, compared to the spring game. Tim Patrick looks like a nice weapon. Singleton could be productive, Fulks, for a first game, was much better with his hands than expected, and then we pulled him out and went with Moeai in a big formation to get the run game going. Simpkins didn't look like a freshman, Tyrone Smith was lost on some plays where Troy missed him by a mile, but they he made a few plays. I didn't expect to see Siaosi Wilson play, but he didn't embarrass himself.

Troy is the real deal, even knowing to slide in the pocket as pressure collapses near him. Quick release, strong arm, good instincts. Easy to see why he was the #1 dual threat QB in highschool. As the position groups address their technical issues, and we get into warrior mode, Troy has the leadership skills to get into some grilles and lift the offense.

I know the OL didn't open any holes, but Joe Williams looked too soft, and he fumbled. McCormick looked really good, but he has no punch. Armand Shyne could get more & more snaps.

Among the backers, Sunia's like Gionni Paul, except faster, with probably less voodoo intuition. Barton got better as the game went a long, and I'm glad Kavika is getting plenty of snaps, and can easily get into a 3 point and be a good DE.

Mysteries (to me): Hatfield, and Moss.

With 9 days to prep for the next game, I think we can get most of the correctable problems 80% addressed.

It's only one game, but Mitch has a seriously strong leg, and the kick off kicker is an improvement.

Guys are going to get blasted in the film room, seniors will lift players that need to be led, a couple of extra days to fully absorb the corrective actions coming, and get cranked up for BYU.

Hammering Thor: SUU at Utah (9-1-16)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Ragged first game. Bomb to Singletary, then only get 3? The OL has a lot to tighten up. They're veterans, they're not going to sag. For that matter, the DL looked scary ragged for way too many snaps.

The receivers took their game up about 3 levels, compared to the spring game. Tim Patrick looks like a nice weapon. Singleton could be productive, Fulks, for a first game, was much better with his hands than expected, and then we pulled him out and went with Moeai in a big formation to get the run game going. Simpkins didn't look like a freshman, Tyrone Smith was lost on some plays where Troy missed him by a mile, but they he made a few plays. I didn't expect to see Siaosi Wilson play, but he didn't embarrass himself.

Troy is the real deal, even knowing to slide in the pocket as pressure collapses near him. Quick release, strong arm, good instincts. Easy to see why he was the #1 dual threat QB in highschool. As the position groups address their technical issues, and we get into warrior mode, Troy has the leadership skills to get into some grilles and lift the offense.

I know the OL didn't open any holes, but Joe Williams looked too soft, and he fumbled. McCormick looked really good, but he has no punch. Armand Shyne could get more & more snaps.

Among the backers, Sunia's like Gionni Paul, except faster, with probably less voodoo intuition. Barton got better as the game went a long, and I'm glad Kavika is getting plenty of snaps, and can easily get into a 3 point and be a good DE.

Mysteries (to me): Hatfield, and Moss.

With 9 days to prep for the next game, I think we can get most of the correctable problems 80% addressed.

It's only one game, but Mitch has a seriously strong leg, and the kick off kicker is an improvement.

Guys are going to get blasted in the film room, seniors will lift players that need to be led, a couple of extra days to fully absorb the corrective actions coming, and get cranked up for BYU.
    Domo sprained his knee Monday in practice. Hoping to be back for USC.

Moss tweeted (before the game) he'll be back next week.

Thought Riley and Dolce made a good point about the 5 DL look not being effective early. I know Dimick says he likes it but I'm not sold on one backer.

Oh and Phillips isn't in the running to kick off with his two broken toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didn't see much from Chase Hansen in this game. Or did I miss it?

--Yeats

I thought we looked okay. Troy Williams looked pretty good. The o-line has nowhere to go but up. And the D made some nice adjustments after the first quarter.

We didn't see much from Chase Hansen in this game. Or did I miss it?
    I guess there weren't many opportunities to make plays back there.

SUU had 156 yds of Offense and only 7 First Downs.

Utah has a passing game thst isn't 'chuck it and pray somebody grabs it'.

Joe Williams still carries the ball too far out. Troy McCormick is still a firecracker. Saw some good plays from Armand Shyne.

Tim Patrick looked very good.

Coaches all get to scream at the players all week. That is good. Especially on the O line. Garret Bolles had a bad case of the Cullens. He will get that fixed.