Thread: 2016 Pac-12 Football

2016 Pac-12 Football

Do we have a Pac-12 thread for this season yet? If so, please throw this in there.

Wilner is doing game by game predictions for each Pac-12 team. Up first is Arizona:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...dictions-2016/

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Do we have a Pac-12 thread for this season yet? If so, please throw this in there.

Wilner is doing game by game predictions for each Pac-12 team. Up first is Arizona:

He has ASU winning three games. One of those is Utah. Just kidding.

We have a Pac-12 thread that is not tied down to year. We should probably move this stuff into that and delete this thread.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, Wilner. Never change. Washington loses to Oregon at home, benching their great QB in the 4th quarter against an historically awful Oregon defense and it doesn't matter. Washington will come to Autzen and win.

Stanford returns 7 starters from a team that lost at home to Oregon and it doesn't matter Stanford will come to Autzen and win.

The best part is watching the AP votes throughout the year, he is always Oregon's lowest vote. Oregon could get to 10-0 after beating Stanford and he'd be voting them somewhere in the 15-20 range. I think Softy up in Seattle is more objective towards Oregon. I'm sure it will never come out, but one day I'd love to hear the story of what turned him so hard on Oregon. I hope it was something really salacious, but it was probably just they ran out of cookies in the press box one time or something.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Ah, Wilner. Never change. Washington loses to Oregon at home, benching their great QB in the 4th quarter against an historically awful Oregon defense and it doesn't matter. Washington will come to Autzen and win.

Stanford returns 7 starters from a team that lost at home to Oregon and it doesn't matter Stanford will come to Autzen and win.

The best part is watching the AP votes throughout the year, he is always Oregon's lowest vote. Oregon could get to 10-0 after beating Stanford and he'd be voting them somewhere in the 15-20 range. I think Softy up in Seattle is more objective towards Oregon. I'm sure it will never come out, but one day I'd love to hear the story of what turned him so hard on Oregon. I hope it was something really salacious, but it was probably just they ran out of cookies in the press box one time or something.
    I'm not sure I'm buying all the Washington love just yet. Yes they have returning talent and yes, they have some impressive recruits. But until that translates to a successful season I reserve the right to be skeptical of them challenging Oregon or Stanford for the north division crown.

I don't think this is Washington's year. They will be in the running to win the North, but I don't think they are quite there yet. Of course they will an impressive D line and one of the best Secondaries the nation, but I will to see whether they can put everything together.

Oregon needs to make a big improvement on Defense. Lucky for them they hired a tremendous DC. The Defense should be greatly improved over last year going forward. I think the Duck's Offense will be able to find a rhythm and Prukop will likely end up being successful.

Stanford still has Ed's Kid, and both their O line and D line are road graders. They have a huge question mark at QB, however, and that will lead to problems this year. Side note: can anybody imagine what an Offense built around Taysom Hill and Christian McCaffrey would look like? Talk about devastating firepower! It is a good thing TH chose poorly. I can't imagine having to face him at the helm of Stanford's Offense.

Cal has a stable full of athletes, but lacking the Offensive wizardry of of Goff means they will struggle this year. There is no way they have a QB waiting in the wings with anywhere near the same talent level.

WSU is poised to put up their best season in 16 years, after winning 9 games last year. Their Offense will m move there and scope against anybody, but their Defense under DC Alex Grinch bared its teeth last year and surprised everybody. Stanford was lucky to escape Pullman with a win on the back of a truly magnificent performance by Kevin Hogan and WSU still had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation with a FG that just missed. The Cougars schedule works to their favor this ad they get all of their tough games at home, other than Stanford. If Luke Falk can remain healthy all season he will keep the Cougs in the mix.

I hope OSU can turn the corner this year and find a way to win a conference game. I really like Gary Andersen and want to see him succeed. But the problem is the only game where they will actually be competitive is against Idaho State. They will need to climb out of a deep hole to match or beat last year's 2 win total.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I don't think this is Washington's year. They will be in the running to win the North, but I don't think they are quite there yet. Of course they will an impressive D line and one of the best Secondaries the nation, but I will to see whether they can put everything together.

Oregon needs to make a big improvement on Defense. Lucky for them they hired a tremendous DC. The Defense should be greatly improved over last year going forward. I think the Duck's Offense will be able to find a rhythm and Prukop will likely end up being successful.

Stanford still has Ed's Kid, and both their O line and D line are road graders. They have a huge question mark at QB, however, and that will lead to problems this year. Side note: can anybody imagine what an Offense built around Taysom Hill and Christian McCaffrey would look like? Talk about devastating firepower! It is a good thing TH chose poorly. I can't imagine having to face him at the helm of Stanford's Offense.

Cal has a stable full of athletes, but lacking the Offensive wizardry of of Goff means they will struggle this year. There is no way they have a QB waiting in the wings with anywhere near the same talent level.

WSU is poised to put up their best season in 16 years, after winning 9 games last year. Their Offense will m move there and scope against anybody, but their Defense under DC Alex Grinch bared its teeth last year and surprised everybody. Stanford was lucky to escape Pullman with a win on the back of a truly magnificent performance by Kevin Hogan and WSU still had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation with a FG that just missed. The Cougars schedule works to their favor this ad they get all of their tough games at home, other than Stanford. If Luke Falk can remain healthy all season he will keep the Cougs in the mix.

I hope OSU can turn the corner this year and find a way to win a conference game. I really like Gary Andersen and want to see him succeed. But the problem is the only game where they will actually be competitive is against Idaho State. They will need to climb out of a deep hole to match or beat last year's 2 win total.
    I read this and think the north is loaded. I like Oregon and Washington. I think I always have. I'll pull for those two.

Obviously, Utah fans should be cheering against Stanford. I also think we should be cheering against Cal and Wazzu. Those are the types of teams that are reeling in our WR recruits. Wazzu needs to return to their rightful place at the bottom of the division.

Uniform power rankings of the pac-12:

1) Oregon
    2) UCLA
    3) UW
    4) USC
    5) Cal
    6) CU
    7) ASU
    8) Utah
    9) Stanford
    10) Arizona
    11) Oregon State is forever halloween
    12) Wazzu gray

I would say the top 5 on this list are great. The next 4 are alright. The last 3 are just bad.

I read this and think the north is loaded. I like Oregon and Washington. I think I always have. I'll pull for those two.

Obviously, Utah fans should be cheering against Stanford. I also think we should be cheering against Cal and Wazzu. Those are the types of teams that are reeling in our WR recruits. Wazzu needs to return to their rightful place at the bottom of the division.

Uniform power rankings of the pac-12:

1) Oregon
    2) UCLA
    3) UW
    4) USC
    5) Cal
    6) CU
    7) ASU
    8) Utah
    9) Stanford
    10) Arizona
    11) Oregon State is forever halloween
    12) Wazzu gray

I would say the top 5 on this list are great. The next 4 are alright. The last 3 are just bad.
    To be clear, are you ranking team uniforms here? Or power ranking this season's football teams? If the latter, do you really think CU and ASU are ahead of Utah?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    To be clear, are you ranking team uniforms here? Or power ranking this season's football teams? If the latter, do you really think CU and ASU are ahead of Utah?
    Uniforms, sorry!

Those Buffalo and Sparky uniforms are very sharp. I agree with that sentiment.

WSU has some fabulous uniforms, bit the grey is hideous.

Uniforms, sorry!
    No problem, that makes sense. The word uniform was right there, but I couldn't quite tell which meaning of the word you were using.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Blog Entries
    As someone with a profound dislike of the ZonaZoo, I think their unis are usually pretty good. I haven't seen Cal's UA attempt to be Maryland of the west yet, so I will wait but they have had some bad looks the last few years.

FWIW I went to a dinner the other night with the Nike designer who is in charge of Oregon's unis, they have some cool stuff coming this year. Opening game is pretty unique.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    FWIW I went to a dinner the other night with the Nike designer who is in charge of Oregon's unis, they have some cool stuff coming this year. Opening game is pretty unique.
    You are a big shot, always hanging with big shots. How do you still manage to small time it with BYU?

The fade out numbers on the Arizona uniforms...bottom tier.

Blog Entries
    You are a big shot, always hanging with big shots. How do you still manage to small time it with BYU?

The fade out numbers on the Arizona uniforms...bottom tier.
    I'm no big shot, I just am fortunate to associate with some.

BYU is the team of my youth, Saturdays spent with my older brothers at games. Hanging at their apartments while they were in college, my oldest brother lived with 3 football players his last year at BYU and I was 11 years old. Had he been living with Jesus and the POTUS I wouldn't have been as awestruck.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This guy. Must beat this guy.

https://youtu.be/jRbhoR6eIM0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also. Is it wrong for me to expect the beginning of the USC game to go something like this with Stevie T?

http://youtu.be/8kG9j5Io6yw

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Also. Is it wrong for me to expect the beginning of the USC game to go something like this with Stevie T?

http://youtu.be/8kG9j5Io6yw
    Nope!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

#29 for Cal is fast.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

This is such a letdown to the start of college football. They should have sent USC and Alabama over there. This might be worse than a NFL preseason game.

CBS Sports makes its PAC-12 predictions, with Utah getting some love:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...dline108262016

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    This is such a letdown to the start of college football. They should have sent USC and Alabama over there. This might be worse than a NFL preseason game.
    Yeah, and now after teasing us, we have to wait another week for a football Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I was told that they approached Utah about playing BYU over there. The Utes said they would not do it this year because they would lose a home game but that they would consider it for 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I was told that they approached Utah about playing BYU over there. The Utes said they would not do it this year because they would lose a home game but that they would consider it for 2017.
    That makes sense that Hawaii was involved. So does Cal get 13 games then?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    That makes sense that Hawaii was involved. So does Cal get 13 games then?

Good question. Can Hawaii play "home" games at neutral sites, thereby granting other teams a 13th game?