Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pac-12 Survivor Pool: 2016

Pac-12 Survivor Pool: 2016

Welcome back to the betting competition that takes no money, talent, or time! Returning champ Drum'N'Feather tries to repeat but he's screwed as all the previous winners are in the eastern time zone! OrangeUte and I are in this to win this!

The same rules apply as last year:

(1) you have to pick one Pac-12 winner each week (you have to pick a Pac-12 team to win its game)
    (2) you can only choose one particular team to win once during the season (i.e. if you pick Colorado in week 1 you can't choose them ever again)
    (3) you can only select against each team once during the season (i.e. the Colorado rule; once you pick against a team they can't pick against them again)
    (4) FBS teams only. If SUU is involved, no good.
    (5) Your selection must be entered before the game you pick in has kicked off. Thus, Cal plays Hawaii this Friday (in Sydney, Australia!) but unless you are picking the Bears you don't have to submit your entry by Friday.

Remember, you are keeping track of who you picked to win each game and who you picked to lose. Let the fun begin!

Here is this weeks slate of games:

Hawaii v. Cal (in Australia) (Fri Aug 26)
    Oregon State at Minnesota (Thurs Sep 1)
    Coloradov. Colorado St. (in Denver) (Fri Sep 2)
    Kansas State at Stanford (Fri Sep 2)
    Rutgers at Washington
    UCLA at Texas A&M
    Alabama v. USC (in Texas)
    BYU v. Arizona (in Phoenix)

Everyone else has a FCS opponent: Utah, Oregon, ASU, Washington State

Good luck!
    Last edited by Applejack; 08-26-2016 at 11:46 AM.

The PAC will start out 10-2 this week (hopefully). I am excited for football season to start!

Week 1: Arizona.

Come on RichRod and the Mildcats, don't disappoint! Crush the Mountain Kitties from Provo!

Cal
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I look forward to defending my crown.

Give me the Cal Bears.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Cal

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I will take los Osos de California de Santa Maria de Redondo Laguna don Jose Cuervo.

Colorado Ralphies.

Cal. Which guarantees a victory for the Rainbow Warriors.

I wonder if I can actually get past the first week this time. I'm really tempted by the fighting RichRods, but I'm going with Cal to hopefully get to the 2nd week this year.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I want Cal as well. I toyed with taking Colorado, but I need a first week win.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Cal. Which guarantees a victory for the Rainbow Warriors.
    I revisited last year's thread, and Hawaii knocked out a bunch of people early on when they beat Colorado in Hawaii. And then they were so bad afterwards that the coaching staff was fired. Let's hope Cal is stronger, although they do have about 2,300 more miles to travel to Australia than Hawaii does.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

What a start to this year's contest! Nearly all of the board likes cal and senioritis made an eligible pick. Great job.

Where is huskynorthwestfan?

Colorado (once again, I will be out after the first week)
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Hey, we're in the final four after hawaii upsets cal on the (big big) island.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    What a start to this year's contest! Nearly all of the board likes cal and senioritis made an eligible pick. Great job.

Is Cal loses, you will have to start a new contest beginning the second week, because there wont be enough people left in this one to make it any fun.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Is Cal loses, you will have to start a new contest beginning the second week, because there wont be enough people left in this one to make it any fun.
    It'll be fun for hostile, sancho, and northwest.

Up your butt and around the corner.

In spite of my anti-UW diatribe in the other thread, I proudly proclaim the UW Huskers ​to be my first Pac-12 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I thought that Hawaii game last year was the surest chance they had to win a game. I just couldn't see being forced to pick Colorado in any other week. They stunk it up.

Last edited by Sullyute; 08-25-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Cal.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll go with the group think and pick Cal. I really want to pick Colorado, but I'm chicken.

Go Bears!
    calfail.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I'll go with the group think and pick Cal. I really want to pick Colorado, but I'm chicken.

Go Bears!
    calfail.JPG
    Picking Colorado is like playing with matches: it's not really dangerous but everyone agrees that it is stupid.

Calling all posters (and lurkers). The best contest of the year starts tonight and the entrance fee is $0.00.

(You can still enter for up to a week; you just can't pick cal this week after today).

Picking Colorado is like playing with matches: it's not really dangerous but everyone agrees that it is stupid.
    But it is also a necessity at some point, and nobody wants to get forced to pick CU against Stanford or UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    But it is also a necessity at some point, and nobody wants to get forced to pick CU against Stanford or UCLA.
    You can always pick them in boulder vs OSU. No, picking CU right now is a bold declaration of superior football insight, a warning shot to the cal boys that there are men present.