Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Shooting for Six Straight: Utah vs. BYU 2016

Ball security would have made this game a blowout.

Wow. What a game. I told my dad this am I expected it to come down to the last drive. Just happy to come away with the win. From the looks on people's faces exiting the stadium the feeling was mutual. Our 11 min/19 play drive was a thing of beauty.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I think Kalani thought his defense was too gassed to play overtime. On that last drive we held the ball for over 11 minutes, barely had to throw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    ..... Jamaal out - but he was out that entire last drive.
    He was? I didn't think I saw him out there.

I am Changing my opinion as to which Y players would start for us. Taysom no question. He was magnificent that last Drive. So was detmers play calling. Jergens the receiver would also start for us. He catches the ball better than anybody we have

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Frustrating how close fumblin' joe was on that play, but you have to kick the FG there. I know it was just inches, but can you imagine if we get stuffed at the line? And we haven't been tested yet this season on 3rd/4th and inches.
    Our TE (was it moei?) Would have had the first down and maybe more on the previous play, if his knee hasn't touched when he caught the ball. It was wide open in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I am Changing my opinion as to which Y players would start for us. Taysom no question. He was magnificent that last Drive. So was detmers play calling. Jergens the receiver would also start for us. He catches the ball better than anybody we have
    He made some amazing catches but did have a few drops of what appeared to be easy ones.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Game stats:

363 total yards, 33 minutes of possession, 6-12 on 3rd down, 20 first downs. Just disappointing to only have one offensive TD.
    With those stats, you'd think we won by 30. Freaking TO's.

I wondered about their hard hitting LB, Pau'u or something.
    Agreed, although Barton and Sione t.?? (No. 19) played very well too.

Our TE (was it moei?) Would have had the first down and maybe more on the previous play, if his knee hasn't touched when he caught the ball. It was wide open in front of him.
    Also, if Joe Williams had dove out of bounds for the first down, the game goes on. Joe Williams needs to toughen up BIG time.

Glad to see Moss come in and play so well. Take the opportunity. This may be the kick in the pants that Joe Williams needs.

Finally, both the safeties should have been tossed out of the game. Nacua had his head down and knocked Simpkins out of the game. That other kid knocked McCormick out of the game (I do believe). Neither play was a football play and both hits were intended to injure, which they did.

There is no place for that on the football field. Look how Williams hit BYU players. That is how you hit hard. Go look at how Blechen did it. Those are hard hitting football plays. BYU's plays were bush league. This isn't the 1950's anymore.

Banned
    Ugh... fawk no.

We turned the ball over six damn times... this game should have been a blow out. Utah did not execute on offense for shit.
    Taysom was magnificent and Detmer was too? Utah defense shut their lame ass down.

I love Sitake. The difference in coaching for BYU is already apparent. I think he got very little wrong in this game. If he and his staff can recruit, they'll be a good program in 2-3 years.

But I'm grateful for Whit. I don't always agree with his decisions, but he gets the job done. This has been a great program the last 2+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Ugh... fawk no.

We turned the ball over six damn times... this game should have been a blow out. Utah did not execute on offense for shit.
    Taysom was magnificent and Detmer was too? Utah defense shut their lame ass down.
    Nacua and Bernard were all over the field. I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Tyler Detmer is a Utah bad offense coordinator. Like really really awful. I enjoy seeing him fail. I look forward to BYU fans turning on Sitake and wanting Detmer as the head coach. He is going to be worse than Crowton when he is elevated to head coach.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Banned
    If we were to actually score on offense and not turn the ball over on stupid giveaways... this game would have/ should have been a blowout. Stop suckin, Ybu balls Redbird.

Whitt said that Moss is still recovering from his shin fractures. They need to be careful to limit his load so he can continue to heal and not re-injure himself. We need Moss for PAC-12 play.

Ugh... fawk no.

I'd take Williams over Hill. Hill received six TO's and sucked it up. Williams led his team to a win, making some big throws after all the TO's.

Give me Troy Williams any day of the week. Troy can fix his problems with experience. He is used to playing vs crap teams. He could make those throws at the JC level. He needs to just throw those away now.
    Last edited by Utah; 09-10-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Highlights

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Nacua and Bernard were all over the field. I'd take them in a heartbeat.
    No intelligent person takes Nacua over Williams. Especially when Nacua brings his reputation. Nacua hurts BYU as much as he helps BYU.

Oh, and Williams is just better.

If we were to actually score on offense and not turn the ball over on stupid giveaways... this game would have/ should have been a blowout. Stop suckin, Ybu balls Redbird.
    If BYU doesn't force 6 turnovers. Don't be an idiot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I'd take Williams over Hill. Hill received six TO's and sucked it up. Williams led his team to a win, making some big throws after all the TO's.

Give me Troy Williams any day of the week.
    Yeah.. except, let's skip the junior college bullshit and not throw into 5-1 traffic. That shit is stupid at this level. And... he did it several times. Please flog that fawker repeatedly this week.

That game had everything in it. If the Wicked Witch of the West buzzed the stadium on her broom, and the flying monkeys come down to take away everyone's drinks, it wouldn't have made it any weirder.

6 turnovers to put the exclamation point on the 6th win - sure, what the hell, why not? How you win a game with 6 turnovers is a mystery, but it reflects the talent differential, mostly. Our defense flat out negated the damaging effect of some of those, and Troy's and the WRs ability to strike long (but not score) altered field position so much that it was like turnovers don't really matter, heresy in any football instruction manual.

Loved seeing Joe Williams grab redemption with both hands, and have some nice runs in the 2nd half. Zach Moss is the real deal, clearly. When our OL was getting their push, and Zach was pounding and cutting through their run defense, it was classic smashmouth. But we have Troy Williams, too, and the WRs are consistently beating man coverage.

When everything comes together, look out.

Never been happier to face San Jose.

No intelligent person takes Nacua over Williams. Especially when Nacua brings his reputation. Nacua hurts BYU as much as he helps BYU.

Oh, and Williams is just better.
    We find a spot for Nacua. Nickel corner, tweener OLB, safety, that kind of nose for the ball gets reps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    If BYU doesn't force 6 turnovers. Don't be an idiot.
    BYU forced that shit? You are the idiot.

Yeah.. except, let's skip the junior college bullshit and not throw into 5-1 traffic. That shit is stupid at this level. And... he did it several times. Please flog that fawker repeatedly this week.
    lol. It's called reality. This isn't some video game. He made that throw a ton of times last year and it resulted in TD's. That won't work anymore. If he is good, he will learn from that and not make that mistake again. If he isn't good, he will do it again vs USC and we will be a six win team.

We won. We beat BYU again. Life is FANTASTIC. Fuck BYU. And we did that. It's time for next week, and that is SJSU and SJSU is bad. Let's go in there and throw the ball 40 more times. Let's get Troy some more experience.

Then, come USC, let's ram Moss down their throat and then PA with Troy and Patrick or B-B for some big plays.

Give me Troy Williams any day of the week. Troy can fix his problems with experience. He is used to playing vs crap teams. He could make those throws at the JC level. He needs to just throw those away now.
    Hill was great on that last drive. He's a fun college QB.

i loved Williams getting the TD right before half. That was a huge throw. Kid has a lot of potential.
    I am surprised that he didn't really look to run tonight.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I think this team has a chance to be really good. Maybe Whit's best except 2008. The defense is top shelf even by Whit's standards. I think those turnovers happened because all our skill players are new except for Joe Williams, who didn't play much mort of last season, this was the first real test, and so this was essentially game 1 for them. They were freaked out and working out kinks on a bigger stage than they've ever played. The offense has a lot more diversity and weapons than any time since 2008. Troy Williams played very few downs for Washington. I have a lot of hope for him. When he matures he can be really good; there's no reason why he won't start making better decisions. He doesn't have the running game that Hill or Wilson have had, but I think that overall his upside is a lot higher. He needs to learn that at this level the defensive players move faster, are bigger, etc. I'm just glad we escaped with a win.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Hill was great on that last drive. He's a fun college QB.

i loved Williams getting the TD right before half. That was a huge throw. Kid has a lot of potential.
    I am surprised that he didn't really look to run tonight.
    With our lack of QB depth much of our QB run package has been shelved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BYU forced the first two fumbles. Those were good defensive plays. The last interception was a poor decision on the throw but also a really great catch.

The muffed punt and the other two picks were just awful mistakes on our part.
    Regarding the muffed punt, I've long felt that we don't fair catch enough. He should have fair caught that. Then again, we make big plays on punts. There's some kind of aggressive philosophy there.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Regarding the muffed punt, I've long felt that we don't fair catch enough. He should have fair caught that. Then again, we make big plays on punts. There's some kind of aggressive philosophy there.
    Kyle said Boobie should have fair caught it, and our blocker got too close to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk