Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting for Six Straight: Utah vs. BYU 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I love Utah season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Xamius View Post
    Not one coach in the country would choose Williams over hill or mangum
    We Ute fans are really happy with Williams. Glad you like your guys. We'll see how Hill does head to head against Williams. The last time Taysom played against Utah he was overshadowed by none other than Travis Wilson.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

We Ute fans are really happy with Williams. Glad you like your guys. We'll see how Hill does head to head against Williams. The last time Taysom played against Utah he was overshadowed by none other than Travis Wilson.
    Utah has had a better defense. The qbs a arent playing against the same defense so you can't really compare

Utah has had a better defense. The qbs a arent playing against the same defense so you can't really compare
    Except for head to head competition, we aren't going to know how good any team is until 5-6 games in. After next Saturday either Utah or BYU will have bragging rights, but that's it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

BYU looked a lot like Utah against SUU: good defense and a porous offensive line. They had a hard time against Arizona's pressures.

I feel like Utah is in a better spot to adjust.

Line opens at -4.5.

Let's get this one started. I have a harder time these days summoning up serious hatred for them, but I do enjoy beating them. Six wins in a row would be awesome.
    I don't hate BYU so much as I am totally sick and tired of their fans and the local media.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Well, there's no reason to be afraid of them after that Arizona game, but the Utes should be ready for a tough ball game next Saturday. I'm excited. I don't think Kyle has ever failed to have his team are fully prepared for the BYU game. Go Utes!
    So, apparently, a number of folks -- BYU fans and local media members -- thought a week ago the UA game would be a toss-up for BYU. Then, a journalist from Arizona went on a local sports station to talk about how absolutely horrid the Wildcat defense was. Those who had been thinking toss-up quickly changed to thinking BYU would in going away. BYU would do this because the Arizona defense had a new staff, possibly a new scheme, and many new starters. I heard that and thought, wait, so does BYU, on both sides of the ball, why does this not apply to the Cougs? Instead of persuading me that BYU would win going away (14 or more points) the report on the horridness of the UA defense persuaded me that the game might actually be a toss-up.

Of course, this week none of those who thought BYU would win going away will remember that as they salivate about what they think BYU's defense will do against Utah's OL and running game. In other words, situation normal, all fouled up.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I don't hate BYU so much as I am totally sick and tired of their fans and the local media.
    That really describes my position too -- and that of many here, I'll bet. I really have nothing against the BYU players or even the coaches, who are pretty decent and respectable guys. Their fans are obnoxious in a...unique way.

--Yeats

That really describes my position too -- and that of many here, I'll bet. I really have nothing against the BYU players or even the coaches, who are pretty decent and respectable guys. Their fans are obnoxious in a...unique way.
    Well, not me. I hate BYU. I feel like fans should hate their rival.

Not one coach in the country would choose Williams over hill or mangum
    I'm not sure there's any coach at any decent program that would want Hill, Mangum or Williams. We all know Hill and Mangum are very pedestrian passing QB's (don't think so, look at Wilson vs Hill vs Mangum's stats vs P5 schools. Wilson is the best passer).

The only QB in this state worth much is Williams...and that's because we've haven't seen him screw up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hater.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I do. I hate Colorado . . . and ASU . . . and UA . . . and UC- . . . well, pretty much everyone else in the Pac-12.

And speaking of UA's terrible D, don't forget they lost their best defender early in the game.

A bit of history with this game.

http://youtu.be/I-1RlfwrkdM

This week's press release.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co.../5/fbbyu16.pdf

Shooting for Six Straight: Utah vs. BYU 2016

"No change" in Butler-Byrd's status this week according to Whittingham.

"We'll see" on Domo's status.

Some initial thoughts:

- Deep down, BYU has a "Utah complex". They want to beat us so bad it permeates everything. The motivation is certainly there, but the weight of our streak is a heavy burden.

- Taysom Hill and Jamaal Williams are really, really good players, and impressive leaders. I don't think they'll look as good vs Utah's D.

- Defensively, BYU looked good. Actually, I went to bed at halftime, convinced that Arizona - at least in Week 1 - was pretty pathetic. The wife woke me up when UA went ahead late, then BYU eeked out the dramatic victory.

- First games are almost always erratic. Utah's performance vs SUU revealed a number of areas for improvement, the problems are all correctable. BYU will likewise improve between the first two games.

- As UTEopia pointed out, turnovers in the rivalry game have been a huge indicator of who will win. There's no reason to think that will change.

- I expect Utah to attack BYU's defense vertically. TWilliams has the arm to go long, and even though BYU is getting better athletically on defense than they've been, they don't have the depth in the defensive backfield to account for Patrick, Singleton, TSmith, Fulks, SWilson, Simpkins. The freshman CB isn't *that* good.

- We have only one game vs a FCS team as a data point, but Troy appears to be good at finding the weak spot in coverage and going after it. I think our RBs will be tested, without a doubt. Joe Williams needs to step it up. McCormick isn't a powerback, but he could give them problems on the outside, and beyond the LOS.

- Utah's defense is better equipped to deal with BYU's offensive threats than Arizona was. Our DL should be able to make BYU one dimensional, and then I think Hansen, Sunia, MWilliams, Thomas will be able to make plays against their TE air game. I don't think BYU will have extensive, difference-making success outside vs our corners. Jonah Trinnaman is certainly fast, but as we've seen our own WRs get smothered by PAC-12 secondaries for a few years, our own DBs are similarly used to PAC-12 WRs.

- I don't get the sense that Taysom Hill + any of their WRs is equivalent to Sean Mannion and Brandin Cooks. If we use Sunia as a spy on Hill, he's not going to terrorize our defense with his legs. A few first downs, here or there... sure. For that matter, Chase Hansen can certainly run down Hill.

I expect it to be a hard fought, close game, and BYU will beat the Utes again... I just don't think it will be this year.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 09-05-2016 at 12:56 PM.

RE: McCormick, the Offensive staff needs to take McCormick and Kyle Fulks into the film room and watch a lot of Oregon game film from the Chip Kelly days with De'Anthony Thomas. Those two have the ability to play in much the same way as D.A.T.

Looks like once Hill steps out of the pocket he's running, abandons all thought of passing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    He's become Travis Wilson. Good for slants and short throws.

Reminds me very much of the post-injury RGIII. All of the things that made him special (i.e. his ability to escape and blaze past everyone) seemed to not be there against Arizona. Now, that's a small sample size and our LBs still have to bring him down and contain him...but I don't think that there's much question here, the way you play this team is you stack the box against the run and you make this guy beat you with his arm from the pocket.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I hate byu! I hate their fans, their coaches, and their players! Utah by 1,000!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    AJ channeling his inner Max Hall.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    AJ channeling his inner Max Hall.
    I hate him, too!

Should I wear my "Max Hall Hates Me" shirt to the game, or is that now passe and in poor taste?

(I wore it in 2011 and 13).

Someone needs to make "Kalani loves me" shirts.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Should I wear my "Max Hall Hates Me" shirt to the game, or is that now passe and in poor taste?

Somebody wearing that shirt got his picture taken next to Max Hall at the LV Bowl. Max laughed and seemed to be a good sport about it. He has been through enough of life to realize he was speaking as a young, spoiled punk, and not as a Man.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

Blase. Maybe try one of LA's new t-shirts: "I have trouble picking sides, but if forced to I would root for Utah. (But I support BYU wholeheartedly as well)"

And if you do happen to see Max Hall, by all means offer to buy him a Coke.

Shooting for Six Straight: Utah vs. BYU 2016

Blase. Maybe try one of LA's new t-shirts: "I have trouble picking sides, but if forced to I would root for Utah. (But I support BYU wholeheartedly as well)"
    That is a defamatory comment, sir. I demand satisfaction. Ma'ake will be my second.

duel-001_crppd.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-06-2016 at 01:12 PM.

--Yeats