Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

We are 11-14 in November since joining the PAC-12.

2016: 1-3
    2015: 2-2
    2014: 2-3
    2013: 1-3
    2012: 2-2
    2011: 3-1

It is hard to draw conclusions from this, other than that historically we have not had a good record in November. Notably, the records are worse during the three seasons we have had good teams -- 2014, 2015, and 2016. We are 5-8 in those years. We're 6-6 in our first three PAC-12 seasons. I am sure that Kyle is well aware of this and is thinking about how to deal with it. Maybe it's just a matter of who we played during November in those years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

If Moss had followed Asiata into the end zone to beat Cal and Brian Allen had been able to do something to prevent the last second TD by Oregon and the Utes finished 10-2, and the rest of the season gone exactly the way it did, with a loss to CU and CU getting blown out by UW, is there any reason to believe that USC would not be playing in the Rose Bowl and CU in the Alamo Bowl, leaving the Holiday Bowl to choose between Utah and WSU? (longest sentence ever written)

I know I would like to think that it might have made a difference, but I really believe that USC was playing better football than Utah and despite the early season win over the Trojans, the Trojans would have been ranked higher by the Committee.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    If Moss had followed Asiata into the end zone to beat Cal and Brian Allen had been able to do something to prevent the last second TD by Oregon and the Utes finished 10-2, and the rest of the season gone exactly the way it did, with a loss to CU and CU getting blown out by UW, is there any reason to believe that USC would not be playing in the Rose Bowl and CU in the Alamo Bowl, leaving the Holiday Bowl to choose between Utah and WSU? (longest sentence ever written)

I know I would like to think that it might have made a difference, but I really believe that USC was playing better football than Utah and despite the early season win over the Trojans, the Trojans would have been ranked higher by the Committee.

or: T Williams had cut back into the huge lane on the first read option, or handed off to j Williams on the second, against Oregon in the red zone (or not fumbled on the 10).

If we had played well against UW in the championship game, we would have gone to the Rose Bowl over USC, because we had the tie breaker. Colorado got destroyed by USC and humiliated in the championship game, which cost them the Rose Bowl. If they had played UW closer or almost even, they would have gone over USC, because they would have been more highly ranked than USC b/c the playoff committee doesn't like to penalize championship game losers without good reason.

IMHO, USC was playing the best ball in the conference at the end; better than UW.
    Last edited by concerned; 12-21-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    or: T Williams had cut back into the huge lane on the first read option, or handed off to j Williams on the second, against Oregon in the red zone (or not fumbled on the 10).

If we had played well against UW in the championship game, we would have gone to the Rose Bowl over USC, because we had the tie breaker. Colorado got destroyed by USC and humiliated in the championship game, which cost them the Rose Bowl. If they had played UW closer or almost even, they would have gone over USC, because they would have been more highly ranked than USC b/c the playoff committee doesn't like to penalize championship game losers without good reason.

IMHO, USC was playing the best ball in the conference at the end; better than UW.
    Colorado got destroyed by USC? That's not what I recall.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Colorado got destroyed by USC? That's not what I recall.
    41-24 wasn't it?

41-24 wasn't it?
    My bad. 21-17

My bad. 21-17
    Haha. Yes, in this age you can look such things up with little inconvenience. And it was at USC.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    These guys say Utah played in 4 of the top 10 Pac-12 games this season:

http://athlonsports.com/college-foot...all-games-2016

3 of them are losses.

Of the top 25 football schools we rank 6th academically.

http://time.com/4606863/college-foot.../?xid=tcoshare

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Of the top 25 football schools we rank 6th academically.

http://time.com/4606863/college-foot.../?xid=tcoshare
    I'm really proud of the Utes, but that title is ambiguous to the point of being misleading.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm really proud of the Utes, but that title is ambiguous to the point of being misleading.
    I thought so too but it only takes a few seconds to figure out that it's talking about the top 25 as ranked.

--Yeats

These are sweet.

Bolles got his NFL feedback but isn't focusing on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Bolles got his NFL feedback but isn't focusing on it yet.

Goon also reported that he's hearing that Lowell is leaning towards staying.

Roderick and Erickson leaving the program.

Dennis Erickson is retiring and Aaron Roderick is not returning to Utah.#Utes @Utah_Football

Time to get a qb coach?
    Last edited by concerned; 12-30-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

I hope you guys are happy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Not at all sure we how much improvement we should expect simply as a result of A-Rod leaving. I think it is silly to call for scalps anyway, and I have never done that. We will hope.

--Yeats

Damn! There goes our Florida connection.

It will be very interesting to see what Whitt does next. For example, if he simply promotes Harding, that will tell us one thing -- and not a good thing.

--Yeats

Kyle has discussed the position with Robert Anae a few times. I won't be surprised if that's who we see. I'm not saying it will happen or endorsing it just reporting a little from the past.

My wish is that we return to a pro set.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Kyle has discussed the position with Robert Anae a few times. I won't be surprised if that's who we see. I'm not saying it will happen or endorsing it just reporting a little from the past.

My wish is that we return to a pro set.
    Anae is a good coach but a grade-A dick. We would lose recruits/players if we hired Anae, including, I would suspect, Covey and Fotheringham.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I am. ��

Dennis on the other hand will be missed. He has been huge for recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I am. ��

Dennis on the other hand will be missed. He has been huge for recruiting.
    Me too.

Anae is a good coach but a grade-A dick. We would lose recruits/players if we hired Anae, including, I would suspect, Covey and Fotheringham.

Yeah, I know next-to-nothing about Anae, but all I've heard is that the players don't like him. I don't care how good you are withs Xs and Os, it's not good if players are turned off by you.

Here's what I think will happen. Dr Bob is made associate head coach over the offense Harding keeps his title as co-oc Scott Mitchell us the new qb coach

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Here's what I think will happen. Dr Bob is made associate head coach over the offense Harding keeps his title as co-oc Scott Mitchell us the new qb coach

From what Mitchell has said on the radio, it seems that his offensive philosophy is entirely different from Kyle's. Maybe that won't matter for a quarterback coach.

Has Anae been a successful OC anywhere at the P5 level?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It will be very interesting to see what Whitt does next. For example, if he simply promotes Harding, that will tell us one thing -- and not a good thing.
    While KW has been very decisive on somewhat controversial OC hires (Chow, BJ, Christensen, etc) in my experience KW learns from the past. He's a steady builder, there's always something to be learned, you never know it all. That's how he's the longest tenured HC in the PAC.

I'm hopeful this hire will be deliberative, and adds to the strengths we have in the coaches on the offensive side of the ball.

(Sorry to see A-Rod get the axe, but that's the business. Everyone will miss Dennis Erickson.)

Please no. For the love of all Ute fans, go outside your circle and bring in a young up and comer. A G5 OC.

LOL. I wonder who we would hire for '18?!