Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    This was our philosophy when we joined the conference. We said we were going to run this offense; that was one of the reasons that we hired Norm Chow. Then we decided we could not recruit like Stanford, either the big linemen or the pro style qb; A spread offense would suit our personnel and our recruiting base better, and open up the offense. We said it would take a couple of years to have all the personnel for a spread offense. Williams, Huntley, and Shelley all fit that mold.

It is just back to the future.
    Not only can he not run, he can't read the option. He killed us on two different drives on the goal line.
    Interesting. Still, seems like we aren't fully committed or capable of running that offense. Hopefully Williams has a good off season of working on this. "Ok Troy, this is Hunter, he's a DE, now when you see him about to hit you, you pitch it."
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Interesting. Still, seems like we aren't fully committed or capable of running that offense. Hopefully Williams has a good off season of working on this. "Ok Troy, this is Hunter, he's a DE, now when you see him about to hit you, you pitch it."

No thanks. I've seen enough of Troy Williams to know that he will never be good at running the read option.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    No thanks. I've seen enough of Troy Williams to know that he will never be good at running the read option.
    Truer words were never spoken. Not only is he not good at it. He does not want to be good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I wish Roderick had seen enough...

I give the 2016 Utah season, overall, a solid B. If they show well in a bowl, and get our hopes up regarding some of the returning players, I will change that to a B+.

I am most pissed off at how well Colorado is doing this season. I am convinced that we need to legalize MJ in Utah so that we can get some of that Karma over here, man.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Truer words were never spoken. Not only is he not good at it. He does not want to be good at it.
    It makes no sense for us to run that. There are plenty of good running plays in our playbook with a higher success rate. It was solid with TW, but we have to adapt based on the QB strengths and weaknesses.

Not only can he not run, he can't read the option. He killed us on two different drives on the goal line.
    I think our goal line offense (and our short yardage offense in general) would have been much better had Shyne not been hurt. Of course, had he not been hurt, we may have never rediscovered Joe Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It makes no sense for us to run that. There are plenty of good running plays in our playbook with a higher success rate. It was solid with TW, but we have to adapt based on the QB strengths and weaknesses.
    What's funny is that we didn't run Williams the whole first half of the season. Now it seems to be our go to short yardage play. It's no wonder that our 4th down conversion rate in the latter half is crap.

"It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so"
    - Will Rogers

"Cyberspace is - or can be - a good, friendly and egalitarian place to meet. "

- Douglas Adams

Wilner picks Dimick as conference defensive player of the year, and Dimick, Bolles and M. Williams to the all conference team.

Wilner picks Dimick as conference defensive player of the year, and Dimick, Bolles and M. Williams to the all conference team.
    I found that pretty surprising. Maybe people are pretty snake bit after Paul missed out last year to a guy on a horrible defense but I haven't even heard any Utah fans expecting this.

The biggest surprise to Wilner's list was leaving Wishnowsky off first team, because...altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I found that pretty surprising. Maybe people are pretty snake bit after Paul missed out last year to a guy on a horrible defense but I haven't even heard any Utah fans expecting this.

The biggest surprise to Wilner's list was leaving Wishnowsky off first team, because...altitude.
    I think Wishnowsky is better than Hackett honestly. Big leg, great placement almost always. Lacks a fake punk play though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I think Wishnowsky is better than Hackett honestly. Big leg, great placement almost always. Lacks a fake punk play though.
    Gonna unleash that in the bowl game. Last game of the season, can't hold anything back!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It's interesting to review the PAC-12 stats to see how we stack up against the rest of the league. Some of this will confirm what we've always suspected, some of will surprise.

http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

For example, we are 9th in red zone offense. At mid-season we were 12th. USC ranks lower than Utah in red zone offense, which makes me wonder about the stats a little.

Offense: 7th in total offense, which is 4-5 spots better than last year; 4th in rushing offense and 9th and passing offense. No surprises there.

Defense: 11th in passing defense. Awful. I blame our linebackers. But we are 2nd in interceptions.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    I give the 2016 Utah season, overall, a solid B. If they show well in a bowl, and get our hopes up regarding some of the returning players, I will change that to a B+.

I am most pissed off at how well Colorado is doing this season. I am convinced that we need to legalize MJ in Utah so that we can get some of that Karma over here, man.
    You're way too kind. You might have been able to give this year a B/B+ if we improved on last year, but we didn't. Left two games on the table against inferior foes, won one less game against a team with a winning record in league than last year. At the very best, we stagnated this year, and there are several arguments in favor of us being worse. That's average and worthy of no better than a C/C+.

Pac-12 Honors are out.

http://pac-12.com/article/2016/11/29...team-announced

Utah 1st-teamers: OT Garett Bolles, DE Hunter Dimick, P Mitch Wishnowsky.2nd-teamers: OG Isaac Asiata, S Marcus Williams, K Andy Phillips

Adoree Jackson gets DPOY and 2/3 of the write up talks about his offense and special team abilities...

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's interesting to review the PAC-12 stats to see how we stack up against the rest of the league. Some of this will confirm what we've always suspected, some of will surprise.

http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

For example, we are 9th in red zone offense. At mid-season we were 12th. USC ranks lower than Utah in red zone offense, which makes me wonder about the stats a little.

Offense: 7th in total offense, which is 4-5 spots better than last year; 4th in rushing offense and 9th and passing offense. No surprises there.

Defense: 11th in passing defense. Awful. I blame our linebackers. But we are 2nd in interceptions.
    So one Friday a while back they had John Pease on the radio he was talking about things with Scalley. IIRC it was before the season was starting and Pease was effusive with his praise of Scalley but mentioned that they did have different philosophies on defense. Pease preferred to run less pressure options, said he didn't care much about sacks and interceptions, was more interested in 3 and outs. He mentioned that Sitake and Scalley were both more aggressive on defense and he thought Scalley would work hard to get sacks and turnovers. We saw that this year. Hearing that from Pease made me realize that sometimes that aggressive play on defense comes at a cost, and I think we witnessed that this year. Plus side is Dimmick going nuts on sacks and TFLs and our secondary getting a number of interceptions. Downside is what we saw, with teams being able to move on our defense.

My guess is that Scalley after reviewing the year may dial that down a bit, finding a happy medium between where we are and where Pease was. Yeah it is a lot more fun to be in their backfield all day, but I'd rather see us shutting people down. I, like most here, are resigned to the fact that we'll never have an offense to keep up with our defense, so we need the D to be a brick wall.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You're way too kind. You might have been able to give this year a B/B+ if we improved on last year, but we didn't. Left two games on the table against inferior foes, won one less game against a team with a winning record in league than last year. At the very best, we stagnated this year, and there are several arguments in favor of us being worse. That's average and worthy of no better than a C/C+.
    What can I say? I'm a nice guy!!

Utah finishes the regular season ranked #20 in the College Football Playoff rankings.

Fire ARod!
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Fire ARod!
    Nah. It's getting fixed. Just keep fixing it!

(But if there's a coach out there who can magically cause our receivers not to drop seven (7) crucial passes that hit them in the hands, we should hire that guy. I think I saw that coach once -- he was riding on a unicorn.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-29-2016 at 05:36 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Nah. It's getting fixed. Just keep fixing it!

(But if there's a coach out there who can magically cause our receivers not to drop seven (7) crucial passes that hit them in the hands, we should hire that guy. I think I saw that coach once -- he was riding on a unicorn.)
    Mind you, I was being facetious.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Mind you, I was being facetious.
    So was I! This is the steed that the magic coach will ride in on:

--Yeats

2016 Utah Football Season - Overall

I listened to the podcast of today's Riley show. Scott Mitchell openly stated that he would love to be the quarterbacks coach at the U. He made no bones about it. I was pretty surprised. He even made a list of skills he would like to teach the quarterbacks. Throwing the fade into the end zone, for example. Or sideline passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-29-2016 at 10:39 PM.

--Yeats

I listened to the podcast of today's Riley show. Scott Mitchell openly stated that he would love to be the quarterback coach at the U. He made no bones about it. I was pretty surprised. He even made a list of skills he would like to teach the quarterbacks. Throwing the fade into the end zone, for example. Or sideline passes.
    How'd he do as a high school coach?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    How'd he do as a high school coach?
    No idea.

EDIT: This tells about his resignation but not about his record:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=19032850&nid=504
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-29-2016 at 10:49 PM.

--Yeats

Mitchell blamed psychology for the Utes' late-season demise. His theory, as I understand it, is that the players don't yet have the mental attitude necessary to win games. Instead of thinking, "We are Utah and this is not happening because we don't lose, we win," they think "We can play with these guys and we're going to give this our best shot." That attitude too often results in losses in very winnable games like Cal, Oregon, UW, and CU.

He said he doesn't blame the coaches, but that that "winner attitude" can only come with time. Some programs never get it (UCLA us my example), some have it no matter how they're actually playing (USC or BYU are my local examples).

Interesting idea. I am not sure coaching has nothing to do with it, however.

--Yeats

Mitchell blamed psychology for the Utes' late-season demise. His theory, as I understand it, is that the players don't yet have the mental attitude necessary to win games. Instead of thinking, "We are Utah and this is not happening because we don't lose, we win," they think "We can play with these guys and we're going to give this our best shot." That attitude too often results in losses in very winnable games like Cal, Oregon, UW, and CU.

He said he doesn't blame the coaches, but that that "winner attitude" can only come with time. Some programs never get it (UCLA us my example), some have it no matter how they're actually playing (USC or BYU are my local examples).

Interesting idea. I am not sure coaching has nothing to do with it, however.

I listened to that segment and I think that the psychology followed his statement that it does not appear to him that all of the players are fully invested all of the time and that results in the inconsistent things we see. Dropped passes is not a physical thing, it is a mental thing. I was very close to the 2008 team. They were fully invested. They were not going to be denied. It came from the veteran leadership of BJ, Beadles, Schlauderaff, Zane Taylor, Big Con, Big Red. It came from RoJo, Kruger, Koa Misi and others. They had given too much of themselves over the previous years to not win.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I listened to that segment and I think that the psychology followed his statement that it does not appear to him that all of the players are fully invested all of the time and that results in the inconsistent things we see. Dropped passes is not a physical thing, it is a mental thing. I was very close to the 2008 team. They were fully invested. They were not going to be denied. It came from the veteran leadership of BJ, Beadles, Schlauderaff, Zane Taylor, Big Con, Big Red. It came from RoJo, Kruger, Koa Misi and others. They had given too much of themselves over the previous years to not win.
    Right. Important point that Scott made.

--Yeats