Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Wenzell commits to the U.
    Boom! Hopefully, we're done.

Backcourt: Jones and Gach starting. Wenzell, Brenchley, Gaskin fight for 1-2 spots off the bench.

Frontcourt: Jayce (fingers crossed), Allen, and Tillman starting. The Finn, Lahat, Riley, Carlson, Van Komen fight for 2-3 spots off the bench.

This is the team that saves Larry's job by winning 25 games and earning a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament.

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Looks like a low release on the jumper. Dude needs to go all in on the mohawk.
    Last edited by sancho; 04-18-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, he is a shooter for sure, but he is not going to get that kind of open look frequently in college.

https://youtu.be/6XyoCU6OhNs

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I have to confess that I thought he had an "offer" and not an "Offer" but I am happy to have him on board. Now it gets interesting. One spot left. I see the scenarios as follows, in no particular order:

A)Jayce comes back and we call it good. That leaves us with 8 freshmen and 5 guys who averaged 20+ minutes per game last year.
    B)Jayce bolts but we get a commitment from the Hazzard kid (or an equivalent grad transfer/juco guard).
    C) Jayce comes back and the Hazzard kid/other player commits. A freshman guard is likely jettisoned at this point.
    D) Multiple players pull a Brekkott Chapman and decide to bolt in late May and no one good is available to take their place and we are forced to fill out the roster with people who don't belong in D1 and we see mass transfers again next year. We lose every single game next year and Larry is not only fired but angry arsonists burn down his home in protest.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I have to confess that I thought he had an "offer" and not an "Offer" but I am happy to have him on board. Now it gets interesting. One spot left. I see the scenarios as follows, in no particular order:

A)Jayce comes back and we call it good. That leaves us with 8 freshmen and 5 guys who averaged 20+ minutes per game last year.
    B)Jayce bolts but we get a commitment from the Hazzard kid (or an equivalent grad transfer/juco guard).
    C) Jayce comes back and the Hazzard kid/other player commits. A freshman guard is likely jettisoned at this point.
    D) Multiple players pull a Brekkott Chapman and decide to bolt in late May and no one good is available to take their place and we are forced to fill out the roster with people who don't belong in D1 and we see mass transfers again next year. We lose every single game next year and Larry is not only fired but angry arsonists burn down his home in protest.
    This roster is so unbalanced with frosh that I do not see how it works. A bunch of these players will never get any playing time and will leave sooner or later. We will have to weed them out to have slots for the younger classes. Giving Wenzel a scholie at this point is odd to me. He looks raw and you assume would redshirt. We dont really need those guys next year.

btw, are you utebuntu on twitter?
    Last edited by concerned; 04-19-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    This roster is so unbalanced with frosh that I do not see how it works. A bunch of these players will never get any playing time and will leave sooner or later. We will have to weed them out to have slots for the younger classes. Giving Wenzel a scholie at this point is odd to me. He looks raw and you assume would redshirt. We dont really need those guys next year.

I think you already asked him if he was Utebuntu, and he's not. Am I making that up?

Anyway, I agree with you. Too many freshmen, though Gaskin and Thione aren't pure frosh. In general, though, teams have 13 scholarships, but few teams have more than an 8 man rotation. This is why all teams are experiencing transfer issues. As it gets easier to transfer, there will only be more.

Giving Wenzel a scholarship makes sense if there are no other fish on the line. We know we lost our main target. At that point, go ahead and give the scholarship to anyone with potential.

I think you already asked him if he was Utebuntu, and he's not. Am I making that up?

Anyway, I agree with you. Too many freshmen, though Gaskin and Thione aren't pure frosh. In general, though, teams have 13 scholarships, but few teams have more than an 8 man rotation. This is why all teams are experiencing transfer issues. As it gets easier to transfer, there will only be more.

Giving Wenzel a scholarship makes sense if there are no other fish on the line. We know we lost our main target. At that point, go ahead and give the scholarship to anyone with potential.
    Yep, I agree. We know he's a very good shooter and he has very good length for a shooting guard. We might as well bring him in to see if he's athletic enough (and coachable enough) to get minutes on a P5 team. I think there's a good chance that the answer to that question is "no," but he at least has some intriguing considerations.

Speaking to a friend I trust who has a pretty good take on Utah basketball has watched the Finnish kid Mikael Jantunen play fairly recently and claims he is the real deal and expect he will be an immediate contributor. He was pretty excited about him, and he is in no way a homer in that regard (FWIW, he was the guy to temper my expectations for this last year - he believed it was possible we may not have had a winning record).

Anyway, I thought that was worth reporting.

Ben_In_Utah

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Ben_In_Utah
    Huh, I was pretty sure you were Larry Krystkowiak.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Huh, I was pretty sure you were Larry Krystkowiak.
    His IP address shows as the Utah basketball facility. He's a paid shill...no doubt about it.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

You are not making it up. Last time I asked him if he was Ben in Utah and he said yes. I have creeping dementia. Maybe it is a nom de plume for LK.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    His IP address shows as the Utah basketball facility. He's a paid shill...no doubt about it.
    He's definitely a shill. Not sure if he's LK or the team manager or what.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Just a heads-up. We're going to delete any name-calling from this point on.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What if I un-delete it?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Fascist!
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Fascist!
    Except when someone calls me a name.

--Yeats

At 6'6" he doesn't need a particularly high release. It's pretty quick too.

Can we also have a rule against shills coming here and disseminating agitprop?

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If we did that we'd have to delete all trolling posts. You wouldn't like that.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Don't you have an investigator in your office who can track down UtahsMrSport's identity? We're all dying to know. I'll chip in part of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Don't you have an investigator in your office who can track down UtahsMrSport's identity? We're all dying to know. I'll chip in part of the cost.
    Concerned is pretty sure that he is Ubuntu on Twitter. So you can start there.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Concerned is pretty sure that he is Ubuntu on Twitter. So you can start there.

No. I have alzheimers. He is Ben in Utah (whom I follow). BTW, if we didn't have insiders post, we would never learn anything. Quit attacking them as shills and appreciate the viewpoint/info. Be very glad they are here.

He left the Y for UVU. Word is he hates the Y and would never go back.
    So much for the “word.” Toolson headed back to Provo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    So much for the “word.” Toolson headed back to Provo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. Word also is that he hates Jackson Emery and maybe this means Emery won't be back next year

Yep. Word also is that he hates Jackson Emery and maybe this means Emery won't be back next year
    Imagine 5-6 years ago, thinking that BYU would need a grad transfer from UVU to help them because Emery had been such a bust. Greg "More than a couple sweet 16's!" Wrubell would have lost his mind.

I guess I feel less bad about Jayce and Donnie testing early-entry. Looks like everyone has players doing that. From Jon Wilner:

The early-entry list (final and official)

We figured there would be at least one surprise when the NBA released the official list of players who have applied for early-eligibility in the upcoming draft. Instead, we got two surprises ... or perhaps three, depending on your view.

On Tuesday afternoon, two days after the deadline, UCLA announced that center Moses Brown had made himself available for the draft and, according to the L.A. Times, is not expected to return to school.

Then came the reveal of the official list of early-entry candidates, sent from the NBA to its franchises. It included two names that had not been previously reported as draft candidates: Utah big men Jayce Johnson, who had been expected to transfer, and Donnie Tillman.

As with all early-entry candidates, including those that have hired agents, Johnson and Tillman have until May 29 to withdraw.

The Utah duo brings to 17 the total of Pac-12 early-entry declarations. Only two teams, Cal and Colorado, were unscathed, although the Bears' roster has been gutted by transfers.

Arizona

G Brandon Randolph

Arizona State

G Luguentz Dort

Oregon

G Payton Pritchard
    F Louis King
    F Kenny Wooten
    C Bol Bol

Oregon State

G Ethan Thompson
    F Tres Tinkle
    Stanford

F KZ Okpala
    UCLA

G Jaylen Hands
    F Kris Wilkes
    C Moses Brown

USC

G Kevin Porter

Utah

F Donnie Tillman
    C Jayce Johnson

Washington

G Jaylen Nowell

Washington State
    F CJ Elleby

The next five weeks will shape the Pac-12 outlook for next season. -- Jon Wilner.

--Yeats

I'm guessing you mean Nick Emery here. I can see why someone who had played with him would feel that way. But that was the unrepentant, on scholarship, pre suspension Nick. I'm sure the new guy goes down nice and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'm guessing you mean Nick Emery here. I can see why someone who had played with him would feel that way. But that was the unrepentant, on scholarship, pre suspension Nick. I'm sure the new guy goes down nice and smooth.
    yeah, the younger one. socksgate.