Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Basketball Recruiting Thread

The staff offered a 2019 top-100 guard in the last couple of days.

https://247sports.com/Player/Harlond-Beverly-46040841/

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    The staff offered a 2019 top-100 guard in the last couple of days.

https://247sports.com/Player/Harlond-Beverly-46040841/

Chances look grim. What’s the holdup on offering Jeremy DowDell from Olympus? Kid is deadliest assassin I’ve seen in a long time.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Chances look grim. What’s the holdup on offering Jeremy DowDell from Olympus? Kid is deadliest assassin I’ve seen in a long time.
    Love Dowdell, kid is an insane shooter. Unfortunately, he's not quite big enough or athletic enough or a good enough ball handler to play high D1 ball. If he could just check one of those other 3 boxes to go along with his shooting then he'd be on the Utes' radar.

What makes you say chances look grim?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The offer list includes most of the Big10 and some good parts of the ACC and Big East. That's why I thought it was grim when I followed the link.
    I think there is more than meets the eye here. Most of those offers are old; some even a year and a half. All of the crystal ball picks are more than a year old. I just dont see why our staff would get involved if there was no shot at this point in the game. I cant think of a single time in Larry K's tenure that he has thrown an offer for the heck of it this late. Im not predicting he will pick us by any means, but I think this is one to keep an eye on.

I think there is more than meets the eye here. Most of those offers are old; some even a year and a half. All of the crystal ball picks are more than a year old. I just dont see why our staff would get involved if there was no shot at this point in the game. I cant think of a single time in Larry K's tenure that he has thrown an offer for the heck of it this late. Im not predicting he will pick us by any means, but I think this is one to keep an eye on.
    This is BS. Our coaches continuously make terrible recruiting decisions, including unrealistic offers while passing on local kids who could make a difference. They do less with more than any coaches we’ve ever had.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Love Dowdell, kid is an insane shooter. Unfortunately, he's not quite big enough or athletic enough or a good enough ball handler to play high D1 ball. If he could just check one of those other 3 boxes to go along with his shooting then he'd be on the Utes' radar.
    Jimmer's on line 1. He'd like to drop another 47 on us in our house.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That reminded of Jake Connor, so I looked him up. 10 ppg on 38% 3FG in 35 mpg.
    Is this Jake Connor's senior line or DowDell's sixth grade stats?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This is BS. Our coaches continuously make terrible recruiting decisions, including unrealistic offers while passing on local kids who could make a difference. They do less with more than any coaches we’ve ever had.
    Lol.

I wonder if the coaches ever consult a skills coach about how to develop a player like Dowdell. I completely agree with Scratch other than I think Dowdell is big enough but ball-handling would be an issue. I really haven't seen him play enough to know if he's more than a catch and shoot player as well at a high D1 level. Hence the ball-handling question. I would think both could be worked on. His stroke is just so beautiful. I know he's a poor defensive player as well but that doesn't seem to be something our Utes are evaluating well anyway. I do think he shows something that could translate into better defensive play - he's a competitive sucker.

I don't know - like the Brighton player we took (I forget his name), it might be worth the scholarship and then let him move on if he's not going to get the minutes. I think that player ended up at Dixie State.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I wonder if the coaches ever consult a skills coach about how to develop a player like Dowdell. I completely agree with Scratch other than I think Dowdell is big enough but ball-handling would be an issue. I really haven't seen him play enough to know if he's more than a catch and shoot player as well at a high D1 level. Hence the ball-handling question. I would think both could be worked on. His stroke is just so beautiful. I know he's a poor defensive player as well but that doesn't seem to be something our Utes are evaluating well anyway. I do think he shows something that could translate into better defensive play - he's a competitive sucker.

I don't know - like the Brighton player we took (I forget his name), it might be worth the scholarship and then let him move on if he's not going to get the minutes. I think that player ended up at Dixie State.
    So we couldn't use a 6'6 guy who will nail the corner 3 at 43% clip? Is this guy any less size wise than PVD?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    So we couldn't use a 6'6 guy who will nail the corner 3 at 43% clip? Is this guy any less size wise than PVD?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No way he is 6’6”
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Utes have offered a JUCO kid in the last few days. Looks like more transfers on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Utes have offered a JUCO kid in the last few days. Looks like more transfers on the horizon.
    The obvious odd man out right now seems to be Charles Jones Jr.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The obvious odd man out right now seems to be Charles Jones Jr.
    Probably just as much chance for Gaskin.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Probably just as much chance for Gaskin.
    Definitely. I'd love to see him stay because it would be nice for the program to have a kid redshirt, develop, improve, and earn playing time. Maybe Gaskin isn't that guy, but I'd like to think he is.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Cool article on a Native American player that we are pursuing.

A John Dehlin-esque hat tip to Utebuntu on twitter for sending this out.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-colleges-as-/

We are in the top 4 for juco guard tajzmel sherman. He averaged 26/5/5 with 1.5 steals on 49/39/88 shooting splits this year. Our competition is west Virginia, Texas tech, and smu

Cool article on a Native American player that we are pursuing.

A John Dehlin-esque hat tip to Utebuntu on twitter for sending this out.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-colleges-as-/
    Took a look at his stats.....hes only hitting 29% from downtown but he shoots more than 8 free throws per game and gets 8.5 boards, to go along with his 22 points and 4.4 assists.

I think either juco guy would be a nice addition.

https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com...BBB_RJones.pdf

He was a huge recruit for us. Will be a difference maker right out of the gate.

https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com...BBB_RJones.pdf

He was a huge recruit for us. Will be a difference maker right out of the gate.
    The Great Ute Hope:

Attached Images Attached Images

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Tajzmel Sherman is on campus at the moment on a visit, per Bill.

Fingers crossed!

But the real question is...how many fans are tweeting at him and encouraging him to come here...

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    But the real question is...how many fans are tweeting at him and encouraging him to come here...
    I'm going to go with, a fair amount.

Taz.JPG

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...ing-130564035/

For anyone with a 247 subscription. I have no idea what is inside of this. Sounds like Texas Tech may not be under consideration anymore, based on Brett's tweets.

Curious if Pat can shed any light on how highly regarded his JUCO team/league is.

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...ing-130564035/

For anyone with a 247 subscription. I have no idea what is inside of this. Sounds like Texas Tech may not be under consideration anymore, based on Brett's tweets.

Curious if Pat can shed any light on how highly regarded his JUCO team/league is.
    It’s a good league, as most Texas JUCO leagues are. Collin CC finished second to Ranger, which was national runner-up. Taj scored 46 in an OT game that gave Ranger its only league loss, and went 21-25 from the line in that game.

We've been reported as having contacted a couple of grad transfer PGs; Max Hazzard (hat tip: DrumNFeather) from UC Irvine and Brandon Boyd from Idaho State.

I don't think we will seriously pursue either, but something to keep an eye on as things play out. I think and hope that the staff has learned from the 2016 disaster.

Also of note: SMU just got a commitment from a 6'4 juco guard, which may take them out of the Tajzmel Sherman sweepstakes.

We've been reported as having contacted a couple of grad transfer PGs; Max Hazzard (hat tip: DrumNFeather) from UC Irvine and Brandon Boyd from Idaho State.
    Dude from Irvine would bring NCAA tournament experience.

Two more articles on Rylan Jones.....then I'll leave it alone and let his performance next season speak for itself.....whether good or bad.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900062920/a-relentless-pursuit-to-get-better-helps-olympus-rylan-jones-earn-a-second-mr-basketball-award.html

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/4099/0/A-closer-look-at-the-2019-Utah-5A-All-State-Boys-Basketball-Team.html

Two more articles on Rylan Jones.....then I'll leave it alone and let his performance next season speak for itself.....whether good or bad.
    I think it will be good - I'm a very hopeful person. In my mind, I already have him winning the starting job and being on the all-frosh team.