Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Right, but this is a whole new level of mailing it in.
    https://247sports.com/college/byu/Se...tball/Commits/
    Good point. When Rose shows up to a game in sweats and lays down on the floor and eats Cheetos we'll know. I give this a 90% chance of happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Hanno, this guy just committed to Utah

Mikael Jantunen already a starter on the Finnish national team

https://eurospects.com/?page_id=6144
    Last edited by concerned; 10-08-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    How do you say "BOOM" in Finnish?
    Bööm?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Now overcommitted by 2 for the class of 2019. The staff is learning from prior years and overbooking.........I like it, though it leaves the roster somewhat imbalanced towards bigs and my way too early guesses on transfers out.

Now overcommitted by 2 for the class of 2019. The staff is learning from prior years and overbooking.........I like it, though it leaves the roster somewhat imbalanced towards bigs and my way too early guesses on transfers out.
    Off the top of my head we are losing Barefield, Topolovic and Van Dyke. That is three spots for the three commits. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Off the top of my head we are losing Barefield, Topolovic and Van Dyke. That is three spots for the three commits. Am I missing something?
    Branden Carlson and Jaxon Brenchley (2017 commits) are returning from missions.

2019-2020 roster as of now:

Bigs:
    Johnson
    Van Komen
    Carlson
    Battin
    Thioune
    Jantunen
    Tillman

Wings/Points:
    Jones
    Jones
    Gaskin
    Popoola
    Gach
    Hendrix
    Allen
    Brenchley

Bigs:
    Johnson
    Van Komen
    Carlson
    Battin
    Thioune
    Jantunen
    Tillman

Wings/Points:
    Jones
    Jones
    Gaskin
    Popoola
    Gach
    Hendrix
    Allen
    Brenchley
    So at least 2 of those guys will be gone. I would guess one will be Popoola, but I have a hard time seeing who will be the other. Probably someone (or multiple someones) will get buried and see the writing on the wall because they are buried behind people in their own class or a younger class. However, I have no idea whatsoever who that will be. Really hard to project that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    So at least 2 of those guys will be gone. I would guess one will be Popoola, but I have a hard time seeing who will be the other. Probably someone (or multiple someones) will get buried and see the writing on the wall because they are buried behind people in their own class or a younger class. However, I have no idea whatsoever who that will be. Really hard to project that.

Yeah, there definitely will not be enough minutes to go around. One besides Popoola will leave, but more than that will be unhappy.

Bigs:
    Johnson
    Van Komen
    Carlson
    Battin
    Thioune
    Jantunen
    Tillman

Wings/Points:
    Jones
    Jones
    Gaskin
    Popoola
    Gach
    Hendrix
    Allen
    Brenchley
    Another thing to note, the makeup of those 15 players is 2 seniors, 2 juniors (including Popoola, so draw your own conclusions there), 6 sophomores (depending on possible redshirts this year), and 5 freshmen. Crazy young team, it's going to be fascinating to see how these guys shake out.

I don't think it is unreasonable to think that at least one of these young guns blossoms early and heads to the NBA next year.

Branden Carlson and Jaxon Brenchley (2017 commits) are returning from missions.
    Does anyone know when Carlson and Benchley left on their missions. Depending on the timing, I guess it is possible one or both could get bumped to 2020. I hope LK does not do anything that will discourage them from joining the program. That is a bad look.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Does anyone know when Carlson and Benchley left on their missions. Depending on the timing, I guess it is possible one or both could get bumped to 2020. I hope LK does not do anything that will discourage them from joining the program. That is a bad look.
    Looking through the old twitter machine, Brenchley seems to have left June 14, 2017 and Carlson the following week.

Pop Sr. posted a tweet that Isaac Johnson is down to Oregon and Utah. Still no timetable for a decision. I believe he will leave for a mission right after graduation.

Signing day!

Ryaln Jones and Jantunen are in. Still waiting on Matt Van Komen..

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I don't think it is unreasonable to think that at least one of these young guns blossoms early and heads to the NBA next year.
    Totally unreasonable.

Frankly, I don't want One-and-Done players to come through the program.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Preach, brother.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I do! You need talent to win and I want to win!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    No kidding. There's not one of us who would have said no to Zion Williamson. If you think about one-and-done programs, you have schools that are in the tournament every year and are often in the sweet 16.

I love following players for 4 years. How amazing was it to watch Josh Grant, Andre Miller, KVH, etc for their entire college careers? Nothing compares to that. There are very few successful programs still running purely on that model, though.
    There have been plenty of programs with a lot of one and dones who haves gone nowhere. The most dominant team lately, Villanova, hasn’t had any.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I do! You need talent to win and I want to win!
    Not me. It would have been awful to have Lauri Markennen or deandre ayton. I would have refused to come to any games
    So good thing we didnt get them.

Joking aside, i do think that it is a good thing that the G league is trying to take those guys out of college ball.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-21-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Joking aside, i do think that it is a good thing that the G league is trying to take those guys out of college ball.
    I agree. This will be the final nail in college basketball’s coffin.

Do you think it will kill college hoops, or only college hoops’ role as a stop-off for elite NBA players?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The real threat to college basketball isn't the g-league, its Lavar Ball's Junior Basketball Association.

I think it will save college hoops. Make it more competitive, build fan interest at those schools where players leave after on year, and more loyalty. Get rid of the farce that one-and-dones are going to class, etc.

The real threat to college basketball isn't the g-league, its Lavar Ball's Junior Basketball Association.
    I can't think of anything I wanted more to see go down in flames than that idea. Maybe since the XFL.

2019 commits Matt Van Komen & Rylan Jones faced off last night. PG beat Olympus on a left handed layup with no time left on the clock. Casey Brown, a BYU commit also played.

At 7'4", MVK and disruptive. He has plenty of room to improve. I'd call him a project with a lot of upside.

Krystko was there watching his recruits. Olympus has Skyview on Friday, where we'll be able to assess Utah recruit Mason Falslev -- Utah will be playing in the P12 championship at the same time.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    2019 commits Matt Van Komen & Rylan Jones faced off last night. PG beat Olympus on a left handed layup with no time left on the clock. Casey Brown, a BYU commit also played.

At 7'4", MVK and disruptive. He has plenty of room to improve. I'd call him a project with a lot of upside.

Krystko was there watching his recruits. Olympus has Skyview on Friday, where we'll be able to assess Utah recruit Mason Falslev -- Utah will be playing in the P12 championship at the same time.
    here are a few highlights from those two from last night

https://twitter.com/JJSportsBeat/status/1067658992288096256

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    here are a few highlights from those two from last night

https://twitter.com/JJSportsBeat/status/1067658992288096256

Rylan was clearly the best player on the court yesterday, and almost always a man among boys. Played like it last night as well. The kid will do some damage in a Utah uniform.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.