Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Forgive me if this has been asked and answered already, but what is the deal with Larry's sons? Are they D1 prospects? Are they the Jake Connors of the next generation? Would they want to play for their dad or go form their own identity?
    Bizarro Randy and Robbie Reid.

My understanding is that at least one of them is a legit D1 prospect, but lower level D1. Not sure about the other one.

In the last couple of days, 7'4 center Matt Van Komen has picked up a plethora of crystal ball predictions to Utah. He was thought to be heading to gonzaga. Could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    In the last couple of days, 7'4 center Matt Van Komen has picked up a plethora of crystal ball predictions to Utah. He was thought to be heading to gonzaga. Could be interesting.
    Andddddddddd hes in! Hat tip to DrumNFeather, as he was the first one I saw to pick up the news.

Andddddddddd hes in! Hat tip to DrumNFeather, as he was the first one I saw to pick up the news.
    Story:

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...ter-120188347/

This looks pretty significant, at least potentially. Amiright?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

We have 4 guys coming in and only 3 seniors. So someone will have to go. Which is probably about where you want to be heading into the season, since it's a pretty safe bet that at least one player will leave after the season.
    Last edited by Scratch; 07-30-2018 at 10:20 AM.

7'4" Frankenstein. Love it. He is one of the rare recruits that actually thought about living in Spokane long enough to make the right call.

We have a team full of freshmen, and we didn't get one guy on this list. I really hope he can eat his list by season's end.

I really like how our bigs are shaping up for the future. Of course Jayce is around for a couple of years, and then we will have a lot of flexibility with Thioune, Battin, Carlsen, and MVK. We will also be able to play small with Tillman or maybe Allen as the second-biggest guy on the court. Will be fun to see how it plays out.

And we’re out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    And we’re out.

How is Marquette in the final four, and Arizona still? Sometimes I hate sports.

Thought I had read on Utehub that we didn't recruit him that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    How is Marquette in the final four, and Arizona still? Sometimes I hate sports.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Thought I had read on Utehub that we didn't recruit him that hard.
    We already snagged a 2019 PG in Rylan Jones. I wonder how much that played into Nico's recruitment.

We would have gladly taken Nico even with Rylan. We absolutely recruited him. However, the issue was that we were never in the picture. We made the top 10 as a courtesy, and nothing more.

We would have gladly taken Nico even with Rylan. We absolutely recruited him. However, the issue was that we were never in the picture. We made the top 10 as a courtesy, and nothing more.
    This shouldn’t be a big surprise.

Pace hasn’t exactly been a huge supporter of his Alma Mater

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    This shouldn’t be a big surprise.

Pace hasn’t exactly been a huge supporter of his Alma Mater

I knew that Pace wasn’t super close with the program but I thought that he and Larry had a good enough relationship to get us close.

I literally crossed paths with Van Komen at the FB game last night--on the plaza behind the south end zone--he was next to Beau Rydalch who they list at 6'6" - he made Rydalch look small. 7'4" is Really Tall--hard to appreciate it until you are next to him.

He was decked out in Ute gear so his commitment is strong.

I'm 6'6". My high school friend lived down the street from Big Mark Eaton, and met him several times. He is mammoth, and i felt like a toddler next to him.

Nico Mannion just made it official to Arizona

Every time we play those guys the commentators will mention (probably more than once) that his dad played at Utah. Ugh.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Well, I hope he has a reasonably happy life and an absolutely miserable college basketball career.

I understand the need for the conference to show well nationally but I will happily root for anyone playing against AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I understand the need for the conference to show well nationally but I will happily root for anyone playing against AZ.
    Morality trumps loyalty.

Geez, you know how you can't use the word gay anymore in it's original sense? The same thing is happening with trump.

American Fork Big Isaac Johnson (top 70 in 247 for 2019) was in for an official this past week. Also visiting the Y, Gonzaga, and Oregon. No one seems to know where he stands as he doesn't much care for media attention.

American Fork Big Isaac Johnson (top 70 in 247 for 2019) was in for an official this past week. Also visiting the Y, Gonzaga, and Oregon. No one seems to know where he stands as he doesn't much care for media attention.
    I had heard at the time van komen committed that he was not coming here. Dont know if that has changed. Also heard that we will go on a mission while Van Komen won't.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-20-2018 at 10:59 AM.

I also read the other day that Larry's boy got an offer from UMASS. I imagine if he ended up at the U it would be as a walk on, so it will be interesting to see if he takes a D1 offer or stays home to play for pops.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I had heard a while ago that Johnson had kind of stagnated as a prospect and that his options had largely dried up and he would end up at BYU, but I don't really know how accurate that was.

Ive heard similar things to you guys. I remember reading that he did not have a good camp at Utah this summer and sometimes was maybe uninterested. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up at BYU but who knows. Side note: anyone seen byu's recruiting class for 2019? Dave Rose either sees things that literally no one else does or he is mailing it in.

Ive heard similar things to you guys. I remember reading that he did not have a good camp at Utah this summer and sometimes was maybe uninterested. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up at BYU but who knows. Side note: anyone seen byu's recruiting class for 2019? Dave Rose either sees things that literally no one else does or he is mailing it in.
    How could you not start mailing it in as a basketball coach at BYU? Your season is basically to lose to Gonzaga (and occasionally St Marys) and then play the crappy teams of the WCC in some of the nicer high school gyms of the Pacific Northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    How could you not start mailing it in as a basketball coach at BYU? Your season is basically to lose to Gonzaga (and occasionally St Marys) and then play the crappy teams of the WCC in some of the nicer high school gyms of the Pacific Northwest.
    Right, but this is a whole new level of mailing it in.
    https://247sports.com/college/byu/Se...tball/Commits/