Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: For tonight, we dine in Silicon Valley! 2016 Utes at Spartans

For tonight, we dine in Silicon Valley! 2016 Utes at Spartans

Utah opens as 13-point favorites. 7:30pm local time kickoff, on CBSC.

Utah is 6-1 all-time against SJSU. Their last meeting was a 56-3 Utah win at RES in 2010.

Just checked their board. Mixed bag of comments, nothing real informative.

Did chuckle at one poster stating they're more athletic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Utah opens as 13-point favorites. 7:30pm local time kickoff, on CBSC.

Utah is 6-1 all-time against SJSU. Their last meeting was a 56-3 Utah win at RES in 2010.
    Interestingly, Utah was a 13-point favorite in our last meeting there, in 2009.

We played a very uneven game that night. Tied at 7 entering the 4th quarter, and even after two TDs, SJSU got within 7 before we salted game away with a FG with seconds left.

The 2010 version of SJSU was horrible.

I think Saturday's game falls in between those two. SJSU gave up 45 to Tulsa in a blowout loss, and beat FCS Portland State 66-35. So they're giving up 40 PPG. Scoring anything less than that would be a huge disappointment. We've got two games under our belt, we're playing a lesser foe than the week before, and while the game is on the road, we'll have plenty of fans there and SJSU won't. We should establish control early, lead by 17-21 at halftime at worst and win in the neighborhood of 45-17

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    SJSU gave up 45 to Tulsa in a blowout loss, and beat FCS Portland State 66-35. So they're giving up 40 PPG. Scoring anything less than that would be a huge disappointment. We've got two games under our belt, we're playing a lesser foe than the week before, and while the game is on the road, we'll have plenty of fans there and SJSU won't. We should establish control early, lead by 17-21 at halftime at worst and win in the neighborhood of 45-17
    Prepare to be disappointed. Kyle's teams don't score 40 points (unless we are playing the Ducks!). I expect a semi-comfortable win, but the line is so close for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Just checked their board. Mixed bag of comments, nothing real informative.

Did chuckle at one poster stating they're more athletic.

Typical message board bluster, but they are more athletic than one might think. For instance, their starting tailback is a transfer from UW who actually started a few games for the Huskies. He's a 7th-year senior!!!! I think he went on a mission.

I have blood ties to SJSU. Of course it is the side of the family I don't care for, so Go Utes.

Reports on the Twitter are that Moss has been named the starter at RB for the SJSU game.

Whit made some very interesting comments in the post-game about his conversation with Dennis Erickson at half time. I love having Dennis around the program. Moss can be the hammer and Joe and Troy can be change of pace backs. The depth at that position is great, IMO.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yes, except Joe isn't really a change of pace back. We never try to get him outside. Maybe he can do that, but I haven't seen much of it. They claim he's super fast.
    With his size and speed he has always seemed more like a 3rd down back to me, not a guy that can carry the load.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    .....They claim he's super fast.
    A former team mate I talked to yesterday claims he ran a 4.35. If true, that's ridiculous straight-line speed. Seems like we could find a way to get him involved without much ball risk....maybe he runs a dozen X-Jet on one routes every game....IDK?????
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Prepare to be disappointed. Kyle's teams don't score 40 points (unless we are playing the Ducks!). I expect a semi-comfortable win, but the line is so close for a reason.
    You mean like in our last non-conference game that we played in California?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Reports on the Twitter are that Moss has been named the starter at RB for the SJSU game.

Whit made some very interesting comments in the post-game about his conversation with Dennis Erickson at half time. I love having Dennis around the program. Moss can be the hammer and Joe and Troy can be change of pace backs. The depth at that position is great, IMO.
    That must be news to Kyle. He says it's an open competition this week as Moss deserves a chance. But Moss missed so much time he's out of shape so he has to earn it in practice.

Tauteoli is PAC-12 Defensive Player of the week. This sort of belongs in this thread, I think. The BYU game is in the past.

https://www.facebook.com/uathletics/...54483012460960

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why are you guys going to San Jose?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Vacation. We get to sight see and be tourists in one of America's great cities!

Fun fact: in 1968 SJSU was in the WAC. That year in a protest against racial discrimination at byu, the black players refused to play byu, and also the fans refused attend the game vs byu.

BYU lost the game to SJSU (minus their black players) in an empty stadium.

For reference, byu beat SJSU 67-3 the previous year and 21-3 the following year. But in 1968, the righteous Spartans prevailed.

LA is a great big freeway
    Put a hundred down and buy a car
    In a week, maybe two, they will make you a star
    Weeks turn into years. How quickly they pass.
    All the stars that never were
    Are parking cats and pumping gas.

You can really breathe in San Jose
    They've got a lot of space
    There'll be a place where I can start
    I was born and raised in San Jose
    I'm going back to find some peace of mind in San Jose!

(Courtesy of Hal David and Burt Bacharach)

Because we know the way to San Jose

What I want to see Saturday:

Don't turn the ball over.
    I want our defense to get their "four and a score" goal.
    300+ yards rushing. I want Moss, McCormick and Shyne to each get 100 yards.
    Troy to have 250 yards passing.

From our offense, I want us to quit dicking around with the pass game. I get it, we are trying to get Troy experience. That's great. Let's start playing Utah football.

Let's line up on first down and run the ball down SJSU's throat. I'd say on our first drive of the game, no passes. Establish our physical nature.

Then, play action, some sweep runs, some quick passes to B-B in the flat.

Then, run, run, run, and run some more.

Let's put this together and have a nice, clean game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    What I want to see Saturday:

I want our defense to get their "four and a score" goal.
    300+ yards rushing. I want Moss, McCormick and Shyne to each get 100 yards.
    Troy to have 250 yards passing.

From our offense, I want us to quit dicking around with the pass game. I get it, we are trying to get Troy experience. That's great. Let's start playing Utah football.

Let's line up on first down and run the ball down SJSU's throat. I'd say on our first drive of the game, no passes. Establish our physical nature.

Then, play action, some sweep runs, some quick passes to B-B in the flat.

Then, run, run, run, and run some more.

Let's put this together and have a nice, clean game this year.
    I want to see third-down conversions. I would also be happy with second-down conversions.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I'd love to see a penalty free outing by our first string oline.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'd love to see a penalty free outing by our first string oline.

The numerous false starts is perplexing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The numerous false starts is perplexing.

Just went through the play by play of last weeks game. Only 2 false starts. And one has no player listed and is one I couldn't see anyone move on the replay.

I think as Bolles continues to improve, our OL will get better by leaps and bounds.

Just went through the play by play of last weeks game. Only 2 false starts. And one has no player listed and is one I couldn't see anyone move on the replay.

Our first offensive play of the game, BYU came out in something resembling Gary Anderson's "circus" defense. Sam Tevi got jumpy and drew the flag. The other false start was called on Bolles, though it didn't look like he moved at all on replay.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Our first offensive play of the game, BYU came out in something resembling Gary Anderson's "circus" defense. Sam Tevi got jumpy and drew the flag. The other false start was called on Bolles, though it didn't look like he moved at all on replay.
    I thought Bolles Unsportsmanlike and Holding penalties were bogus.

I thought Bolles Unsportsmanlike and Holding penalties were bogus.

Both of his calls were trash. As much as BYU fan likes to whine about the refs, the refs killed us even more. The stupid BYU fans are too dumb to realize that the refs did more good for them than they did for us.

On the last INT, Troy Williams was hit late...Oh, and the PF on the INT? Should have given the ball back to Utah. So, that last INT should have been Utah's ball on two separate calls, neither of which the refs got right.

And Tim Patrick was held on another TD on a perfectly thrown ball by Troy to Patrick. Should have been PI and Utah gotten the ball with a first down.

Those are two calls that had they been called correctly, Utah probably wins by 10.

But, yeah, let's whine about the refs and the PF targeting calls, even though technically, they were the correct calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Both of his calls were trash. As much as BYU fan likes to whine about the refs, the refs killed us even more. The stupid BYU fans are too dumb to realize that the refs did more good for them than they did for us.

On the last INT, Troy Williams was hit late...Oh, and the PF on the INT? Should have given the ball back to Utah. So, that last INT should have been Utah's ball on two separate calls, neither of which the refs got right.

And Tim Patrick was held on another TD on a perfectly thrown ball by Troy to Patrick. Should have been PI and Utah gotten the ball with a first down.

Those are two calls that had they been called correctly, Utah probably wins by 10.

But, yeah, let's whine about the refs and the PF targeting calls, even though technically, they were the correct calls.
    Plus the horse collar on Smith that wasn't called that lead to him exiting the game.

As for Saturday night, I want to see us take a bunch of shots down field.

Plus the horse collar on Smith that wasn't called that lead to him exiting the game.

As for Saturday night, I want to see us take a bunch of shots down field.
    The secondary is actually SJSU's strength. They're awful against the run

The secondary is actually SJSU's strength. They're awful against the run

Hmm...still, you'd hope that our guys could win against that secondary if they hope to do so next week vs. USC and beyond.

Hmm...still, you'd hope that our guys could win against that secondary if they hope to do so next week vs. USC and beyond.
    I think we can, but I think the goal should be to destroy their weakness rather than attack their strength.

In two games they've surrendered 500 yards on 5 YPC