Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For tonight, we dine in Silicon Valley! 2016 Utes at Spartans

Utah offense is so inconsistent. One drive Jekyl, one drive Hyde.

Wow, how many sacks might we end up with tonight? Seems we are getting a couple each possession.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Tim Patrick looks great tonight

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Tim Patrick looks great tonight
    Yes. O-line not so much.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Another bad decision by Troy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Gosh Darn it Williams. Don't f-ing throw picks in the red zone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 09-20-2016 at 10:21 AM.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Woof. Chase Hansen just broke their QB

Dude hit a brick wall right there.

Ute RBs need more strip drills.

--Yeats

Shyne has been running pretty violently tonight.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

255 yards passing, 201 rushing. Lots of chunk plays. Held SJSU to 56 rushing. They did get 250+ passing, though. Still, we'll be fine with that offensive output if we can do it against PAC-12 teams.

--Yeats

This had all the signs of a trap game and it was a trap game. The Utes seemed to lack energy and focus. The offense must have sore feet from shooting them so frequently. Penalties and turnovers really have prevented the offense from having any consistency. I watched a little of Oregon, USC, UCLA and Cal. While none of them are world beaters, the Utes will need to be much better than we have been in order to finish where we all hope to finish. Here are my grades. I hope and expect a better effort against USC. While USC has many issues of its own, it has great players at most positions on the field and the Utes will need to clean things up in order to come up with the W.

QB: B. Williams cannot afford to continue to make poor decisions in the redzone. We have survived those plays against SJSU and BYU but will not against better teams. For the most part I like his pocket presence.

RB: B. Not great. All need to run more physically. I agreed with the commentator who said that Shyne looked like he was tip toeing with his eyes closed on the runs at the goal line prior to Williams interception. I have been very disappointed with our inability to get tough yards in short yardage situations.

OL: B. Is it just me or does Isaac Asiata seem to get beat more than he should. I really believe he is the weak link on the OL. I thought Barton played well. The OL will need to elevate their game to give the offense a fighting chance against USC.

DL: B+. I thought we controlled the running game with the exception of a couple of QB runs. Although we finished with 10 sacks, much of the time we were forced to blitz to get pressure. If we cannot get pressure with the front 4 and need to rely on the blitz we will undoubtedly give up a few big plays.

LB: B. Solid performance across the board. I think this group is getting better.

DB: B+. Two picks. Decent coverage most of the night. The one area we need to improve on is tackling. Too many missed tackles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Ten sacks. That's a lot, right?
    Sancho, these guys are a tune up game. USC for all their faults... is talented.#hashtagbuyafawkinclue,
    Last edited by Devildog; 09-18-2016 at 08:30 AM.

I hope I am dreadfully wrong, and I hate to be that guy but it is probable that we are just not that good this year.

Whit coached teams have always played to the level of their competition but we have some pretty egregious issues that if they haven't been fixed three games into the season likely won't be fixed.

Williams is a better QB but makes poor decisions and only feels more accurate because Wilson wasn't. Our WRs need to be able to grab and come down with anything that is remotely by them and can't seem to.

I watched the Ole Miss / Bama game and realized what it is like to have great receivers and a QB. Tim Patrick is good but I doubt he makes either team. Seemingly big drop off from Patrick to the other receivers.

Our OL is perplexing. They should be better than they are. Our RBs are fair-to-middlin' but I don't know they are getting the holes they need to rush. There are very few easier defenses left on our schedule than what we've seen.

I might argue that our play calling has been okay but isn't playing to the strengths of this team, or rather is not covering our weaknesses. We need the OL to step up so we can hit our TEs more and rely on them for protection less.

Defense is stout but can't be on the field 75% of the game.

Sorry to be so negative, but I was counting on SJSU to finally get the issues ironed out and many were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have revised my expectations downward considerably. I just don't see how we're going to be able to move the ball against good competition. You put Adore Jackson on Tim Patrick and who else is going to catch the ball? Singleton is Dreadful. How are we going to get sustained drives? It's either a big chunk play or three and out. I agree that Williams decision making is going to get us into trouble down the road
    Last edited by concerned; 09-18-2016 at 09:18 AM.

Our defense is amazing.

Our offense sucks.

We look like a 7 win team.

I share in the frustrations expressed about our team so far but let's not draw hard and fast conclusions yet. This team will continue to get better. We have talented and intelligent players up and down the rosters with an excellent coaching staff that is working well together.

I'm not frustrated. Not at all. I've been saying for two years we will struggle this year. Troy has to get a lot better in the red zone and it looks like he is what he is.

Our OL is disappointing again. Harding had a lot of love in the past but that shine is fading. We have bodies. Why is it so hard to find a good OL coach?

Our defense is championship caliber.

Moss, Patrick and Butler-Byrd are legit.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I also have revised my expectations downward considerably. I just don't see how we're going to be able to move the ball against good competition. You put Adore Jackson on Tim Patrick and who else is going to catch the ball? Singleton is Dreadful. How are we going to get sustained drives? It's either a big chunk play or three and out. I agree that Williams decision making is going to get us into trouble down the road
    Although I forgot the Tyrone Smith didn't play last night. Maybe he will make a big difference when he gets back. Knock on wood it's this week

I'm not concerned. The d is what we hoped it was and the offense is improving.

Williams looking more comfortable, the O-Line is improving, Patrick is who we thought he was, the emergence of Moss and Shyne looks good.

In short, the D is way ahead and the offense is improving. Nobody in the south looks unbeatable yet.

I don't see why we can't get to 9 wins.

There would be next to zero angst over this team if we weren't such a horrible red zone team.

Utah is 111th in red zone scores (TD or FG). 118th in TD percentage. But we're 32nd in red zone attempts. So this team is leaving a shit-ton of points on the board.

Utah is also 85th in penalties, and I don't need to look up that the O-line is the most penalized unit on the team. To be fair, it's probably that way on most teams. Advanced analytics would probably disclose that O-line penalties are costing us 3 points per game, minimum. As UTEopia noted earlier, it's very likely that we are just not a good short-yardage run team.

Utah is 76th in turnover margin. At our current pace, this would be the worst mark for a Kyle-coached team ever.

We're a good team between the 20s because of chunk plays. We pile up a respectable number of yards in spite of a number of empty possessions -- we've got to be a top 20 team in turnovers+punts. But we're not scoring points at a corresponding rate to yardage and everything past that is window dressing. Maybe it's our collective youth at the skill positions, maybe it's coaching. We could be in a worse position, but we've got too many flaws to think we can win the South outright.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I'm not concerned. The d is what we hoped it was and the offense is improving.

Williams looking more comfortable, the O-Line is improving, Patrick is who we thought he was, the emergence of Moss and Shyne looks good.

In short, the D is way ahead and the offense is improving. Nobody in the south looks unbeatable yet.

I don't see why we can't get to 9 wins.
    I agree. We can even do better than 9 wins with the schedule we have. Come on. We changed out all of our skill players. Is it surprising with this and with this coach that the defense ahead of the offense. Clearly Williams can qb at this level, which is always a question mark with that most important position. We have several options at rb. I think they'll run Williams when they play a game that really means something and decide to add an option.

It all depends on Troy Williams. If he develops and avoids mistakes, we can have a good season.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I'll give you: ASU, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon State, Cal.

USC, Washington, UCLA: pick two to get us to 10.

Plus I still have PTSD about the Arizona schools. Especially Arizona. It is a bad matchup for us. Playing them makes me feel like we did when we played Air Force: just a bad matchup for us no matter how bad they are.

For tonight, we dine in Silicon Valley! 2016 Utes at Spartans

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I agree. We can even do better than 9 wins with the schedule we have. Come on. We changed out all of our skill players. Is it surprising with this and with this coach that the defense ahead of the offense. Clearly Williams can qb at this level, which is always a question mark with that most important position. We have several options at rb. I think they'll run Williams when they play a game that really means something and decide to add an option.

It all depends on Troy Williams. If he develops and avoids mistakes, we can have a good season.
    I agree with Seattle Ute.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-18-2016 at 12:20 PM.

--Yeats

I think this will start to balance out.

People complaining about the offensive line and short yardage situations are forgetting that the line wasn't there last year either. It was Booker that got us the short yardage conversions, hole or not hole (usually no hole). That's the big difference.

We were picked to finish 3rd in the south. Who wins it? From least to most likely:

1) Arizona. Classic RichRod Wildcats. Start slow. Almost lose to an FCS team. Then start to put it together. By midseason, they'll be averaging 250 yards on the ground like usual.
    2) CU. Not sure what Liufau's status is now. They sure appear to be legitimately good.
    3) ASU. Nobody knows yet what this team is. It's still wait and see.
    4) Utah. A stronger defense than 1-3 on this list. Offense hopefully coming around. As SoCal said, this team is leaving a lot of points on the field. If we start putting some of those on the scoreboard, we have a chance.
    5) USC. Here on talent alone. Has yet to do much with it.
    6) UCLA. Looking like the best defense in the south, and defense wins championships.

Look at the list, though. The south seems as open as it could possibly be.
    The south is wide open. Here is my question. We've fired the WR coach. We've fired about a million OC's.

Every since Tim Davis left, our OL has been average at best. How do we fix that? Our OL currently has Asiata, who has NFL potential. Bolles, a five star JC kid. JJ Dielman, an All PAC-12 player.

We have talent. We should be a top three OL in the PAC-12. What's the problem there?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I agree with Seattle Ute.
    I want to be excited about this team's prospects, but I'm just not there yet. If we can solidly beat USC, I could get there. I see only one road game in which we'll be solid favorites (OSU). I see one home game in which we'll be an underdog (Washington). We're a middle of the pack Pac-12 team. We'll get to 7 wins minimum, but we gotta get better in several areas to become a legit South contender.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I want to be excited about this team's prospects, but I'm just not there yet. If we can solidly beat USC, I could get there. I see only one road game in which we'll be solid favorites (OSU). I see one home game in which we'll be an underdog (Washington). We're a middle of the pack Pac-12 team. We'll get to 7 wins minimum, but we gotta get better in several areas to become a legit South contender.
    Rationally I can find 4 games left on our schedule that I see as reasonably likely wins for us: Oregon State, Arizona, ASU, and Colorado (and any one of those could go south). That would put us at 7 wins.

I'm just choosing to be hopeful/optimistic about 2-3 more games: USC, Cal, UCLA. Maybe Oregon.

But what's a sports fan to do if he or she can't be hopeful and optimistic?

--Yeats

Will we ever call runs for troy?
    No. Despite being labeled a dual threat QB. He is not. He is a pocket passer with good mobility. He is not that fast. Travis was a better runner.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Rationally I can find 4 games left on our schedule that I see as reasonably likely wins for us: Oregon State, Arizona, ASU, and Colorado (and any one of those could go south). That would put us at 7 wins.

I'm just choosing to be hopeful/optimistic about 2-3 more games: USC, Cal, UCLA. Maybe Oregon.

But what's a sports fan to do if he or she can't be hopeful and optimistic?
    we gotta beat Arizona first. every time we've played them in the P12, there's been a lot on the line, and they were better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    we gotta beat Arizona first. every time we've played them in the P12, there's been a lot on the line, and they were better than us.
    Agreed. That's why I said it is only "reasonably likely" we will beat them, and that we still might have a bad game.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    No. Despite being labeled a dual threat QB. He is not. He is a pocket passer with good mobility. He is not that fast. Travis was a better runner.
    Agreed. Not a threat to run at all. Travis was a much bigger threat.

I think the thing I've seen in every game is an inability to finish drives. It's not so much about the "throw game" or the "run game" but it's about finishing drives with 7 (or 6 if you are Oregon) instead of 3. That is OK against SUU, BYU, and SJSU, but it is a no-no versus anyone in the PAC. I am dubious that we can make any big adjustments. Other than Patrick, I'm not sure what options we have near the goaline.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-18-2016 at 03:38 PM.