Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trojan War - Utah vs. USC 2016

Rumors of chaos at USC.

http://www.theleadsports.com/stories...n-in-the-face/

According to Reddit and USC message board FightOn247 something fishy is going on behind the scenes with the USC football team. And by fishy we mean that freshman OG EJ Price may have punched coach Clay Helton in the face, precipitating a possible mass exodus of transfers from the school. Rumored to be among those considering a transfer are OL Chuma Edoga, recently demoted QB Max Browne, and WR/CB Keyshawn Pie Young. CB Adoree Jackson and WR JuJu Smith are also widely expected to declare for the NFL draft as soon as the season is over.

Apparently Clay Helton has offered to sign the transfer papers of any player who wants to leave. This is all over USC message boards, but no “legitimate” news source has run with it yet.

Expect that to change in the next day as reports get more and more detailed, but it certainly sounds like something is going on. Helton is expected to address it in some manner either this afternoon or tomorrow.

It will likely be cool and raining during the game. Hopefully that will make it all the more miserable for the Trojans.

Friday

Showers
    Likely
    High: 54 °F
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    It will likely be cool and raining during the game. Hopefully that will make it all the more miserable for the Trojans.

Friday

Showers
    Likely
    High: 54 °F

I think the showers are mostly Thurs night and Fri morning. Will be cool but probably mostly dry by Fri night.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm hoping the showers hit Denver by Friday night. I have a "movie on the lawn" thing that I can't get out of that night. Rain could deliver me from having to "watch" the game on my wife's phone during the movie.
    Thoughts and prayers...!

I'm driving up for the game...sounds like it will be a hoot. I can put up with a lot weather-wise for a win.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Now you see the advantage of living in Colorado! Bought tickets for the Boulder game yet?
    Not yet. Still trying to figure out if we'll be here for thanksgiving.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    When the team plane lands at LAX Friday night Helton will be looking out on the tarmac nervously to see if Lynn Swann is waiting for him.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-20-2016 at 04:17 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I have nothing positive to say about Helton. Everyone knows that he started Browne just so he wouldn't transfer. That's about as low as you can go. I said in the fall that I thought Darnold would be starting for us because Helton started Browne to keep him from leaving and to be the fall guy. Helton is a terrible coach.

As far as everyone else transferring, if you are a smart coach, you come in and kick ass from day one. Set the tone from day one. That way, all your transfers/blowups/drama happens in Feb/March and no one cares. Then you can work all summer with what you have and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I think the showers are mostly Thurs night and Fri morning. Will be cool but probably mostly dry by Fri night.
    Not according to NOAA:

Friday Night
    Showers likely, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-20-2016 at 08:46 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

When we moved here, we established a turkey day rule:

We'll drive to SLC to be with family every year that ends with an odd number. For even years, anyone is welcome to come visit us and go to the Utah/CU game.
    That's a good rule. I think much of what we'll do will depend on the weather.

For your enjoyment. I am not sure Nate Orchard ever got full credit for driving Nelson Agholor to step out of bounds on USC's crucial 4th down. (First play shown here.) If Nate doesn't do that, game over. Also, it's impossible not to love Travis Wilson after watching this drive.

Last edited by LA Ute; 09-21-2016 at 06:28 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Yep, I loved TW's heart and play!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    For your enjoyment. I am not sure Nate Orchard ever got full credit for driving Nelson Agholor to step out of bounds on USC's crucial 4th down. (First play shown here.) If Nate doesn't do that, game over. Also, it's impossible not to love Travis Wilson after watching this drive.

I had forgotten Patrick's fumble on the goaline. Great drive by Travis. I miss that guy. :tear:
    Last edited by Applejack; 09-22-2016 at 12:02 PM.

How I'm feeling about the game...

I'm feeling it. I really think we blow USC out. And you know I'm not the kind of poster that thinks we win every game, dominate every foe, etc. Hell, I'm mostly happy if we simply cover the spread, cuz the masses have spoken in making those numbers.

USC will not run the ball on us. Period. They haven't for three years. They might dial up a good play call now and then when we're geeked up to rush the passer, but they're gonna be in second-and-long all night long if they think they can run to set up the pass.

USC will not pass the ball on us. Period. I cannot see a true freshman making his first start coming into one of the league's most hostile environments against one of the league's best defenses and having much success.

Utah isn't going to go off offensively for 500-plus yards and 40 points. But we'll win the turnover battle decisively and be on the dominant side of field position all game long. We'll methodically make USC quit, save for Darnold, who will get a garbage-time TD or two. I don't have these feelings often in games of this magnitude and I don't know what my track record is when I do. However, I've made it a policy only to spout off on things in which I truly know, and know better than everyone else. And I know we crush USC on Friday night. 45-17, Utes, and a ranking in the mid-low teens come Monday.

That would be amazing. I want some of SoCalPat's Kool-ade!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm feeling it. I really think we blow USC out. And you know I'm not the kind of poster that thinks we win every game, dominate every foe, etc. Hell, I'm mostly happy if we simply cover the spread, cuz the masses have spoken in making those numbers.

USC will not run the ball on us. Period. They haven't for three years. They might dial up a good play call now and then when we're geeked up to rush the passer, but they're gonna be in second-and-long all night long if they think they can run to set up the pass.

USC will not pass the ball on us. Period. I cannot see a true freshman making his first start coming into one of the league's most hostile environments against one of the league's best defenses and having much success.

Utah isn't going to go off offensively for 500-plus yards and 40 points. But we'll win the turnover battle decisively and be on the dominant side of field position all game long. We'll methodically make USC quit, save for Darnold, who will get a garbage-time TD or two. I don't have these feelings often in games of this magnitude and I don't know what my track record is when I do. However, I've made it a policy only to spout off on things in which I truly know, and know better than everyone else. And I know we crush USC on Friday night. 45-17, Utes, and a ranking in the mid-low teens come Monday.

I am concerned that everyone is picking us. That's not familiar territory. We are supposed to be David, not Goliath.

There's no way to know what this game will look like. We know USC has athletes all over the place. We know Darnold has been mega-hyped. We know USC got blown out by two great teams and destroyed one decent team. We hear that USC is in disarray, but they've been in disarray before and beat us. We know that we've been solid but not spectacular. What does that all add up to? Who knows?

I've only watched bits of USC (Alabama + Stanford) but from what I could see they weren't as prolific as usual at the offensive skill positions. JuJu do what JuJu do, but other than him I wasn't floored by and of the wideouts. Now that could have had a lot to do with the defenders, but nothing mindblowing, skill-wise. Now, they were a threat on every kickoff/punt return, so I expect to give up a long return on Friday night. On defense, they looked pretty stout. They have dbs that can jam at the line and turn and run with the best. They had big, fast linebackers. Their d-line was meh, but it's still good. They shut out bama for a quarter plus, and it looked like it was going to be defensive masterpiece; then Alabama got going and USC rolled over.

TL;DR: Usc is down and they have a lot of quit in them.

I am concerned that everyone is picking us. That's not familiar territory. We are supposed to be David, not Goliath.

There's no way to know what this game will look like. We know USC has athletes all over the place. We know Darnold has been mega-hyped. We know USC got blown out by two great teams and destroyed one decent team. We hear that USC is in disarray, but they've been in disarray before and beat us. We know that we've been solid but not spectacular. What does that all add up to? Who knows?
    Everyone is picking us? We're a field goal favorite and are playing at home. You have a very low threshold for "everyone".

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Everyone is picking us? We're a field goal favorite and are playing at home. You have a very low threshold for "everyone".

There is a lot of hype locally. PK and others saying there is "no way" Utah can lose this game, because there is no way a freshman qb can read or beat a KW defense in Rice Eccles. Too many people around here are acting like it is a foregone conclusion.

That is a bad sign to me. Except for 2014, people have hyped our chances and we have laid an egg (mostly in LA, granted). We have a true freshman rb and a qb who has thrown four interceptions against ok opposition, and a slot receiver who has minimal experience on offense (CBB). Put Adoree Jackson on Patrick, and what other receiver is going to step up, esp. if Tyrone Smith doesn't play?

I fear we are going to have a lot of trouble scoring points, and will lose the turnover battle. Hope i am very wrong.

I just rewatched the BYU game (thank you Pac-12 Football-in-60). Once you get past the turnovers (ARGH!), the thing that jumps out to you is that our offense is wedded to the big play. On most of our scoring drives we have a big play (40 yards to Patrick, for example) with the notable exception of the last drive which is grind it out, 3rd and 3s all over the place, Whitball. I've made this observation before, but we need to have more of a nose for the end zone. Two plays stand out:

- On 1 and goal we run the read option, Troy keeps the ball but doesn't make a beeline for the end zone. If he had, he'd have scored but instead he's tackled for a gain of 2. Then comes the interception by Nacua.
    - ON a 35 yard pass to Patrick, he's wide open. Troy makes a great play to extend the play before passing. But the ball is significantly underthrown, so Patrick waits for the ball and is tackled. That needs to be six.

Basically, I am find with a grind-it-out-without-a-featured-back offense if we take some shots downfield. But on those shots downfield we better convert for 6 because, for this offense, 1st and goal from the 2 is the same as 1st and goal from the 25.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    There is a lot of hype locally. PK and others saying there is "no way" Utah can lose this game, because there is no way a freshman qb can read or beat a KW defense in Rice Eccles. Too many people around here are acting like it is a foregone conclusion.

That is a bad sign to me. Except for 2014, people have hyped our chances and we have laid an egg (mostly in LA, granted). We have a true freshman rb and a qb who has thrown four interceptions against ok opposition, and a slot receiver who has minimal experience on offense (CBB). Put Adoree Jackson on Patrick, and what other receiver is going to step up, esp. if Tyrone Smith doesn't play?

I fear we are going to have a lot of trouble scoring points, and will lose the turnover battle. Hope i am very wrong.
    My concerns exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I just rewatched the BYU game (thank you Pac-12 Football-in-60). Once you get past the turnovers (ARGH!), the thing that jumps out to you is that our offense is wedded to the big play. On most of our scoring drives we have a big play (40 yards to Patrick, for example) with the notable exception of the last drive which is grind it out, 3rd and 3s all over the place, Whitball.
    This has been true for as long as Roderick has ben the coordinator. The long pass plays are low percentage. Either a big chunk play or a punt. Relatively few ball control sustained drives, especially through the air.

78% guarantee.
    Seems reasonable I imagine having a defined running game heading into tomorrow will make a big difference in the red zone.

Even more certain now that it will be wet during the game:

Friday Night
    Showers. Low around 48. South southwest wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sounds awful. Shades of the Arizona game in 2014, where the team mostly quit.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Sounds awful. Shades of the Arizona game in 2014, where the team mostly quit.
    The wrong team quit. Here's hoping the weather affects the boys from socal more than the ones from Florida.

RichRod (allegedly) made his team practice in the sprinklers in 38 degree weather that week. That is dedication.

Where did he find 38 degree weather?
    SLC during the week of the game. The team arrived Wed night iirc, and practiced at 5:30 am Thurs and Fri, and played the game Sat.

Really looking forward to the game tonight. I hope the fans don't allow the weather to keep them home. Everyone needs to bring their A game. I believe the team will bring its A game. As fans, we should be able to use our voices to generate some confusion for the QB and maybe some penalties on the OL. While USC has been mostly dysfunctional over the past few years, they still have some of the best players and athletes in the conference and beating them will be no small accomplishment.