Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Trojan War - Utah vs. USC 2016

I heart devildog!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I love Tim Patrick!!!! Love, love, love, love him. It's so much easier when you have an elite wr. Butler-Byrd was great tonight, singleton looked good, simpkins is promising, and s Wilson is good at drawing PIs. But it's all about Timmy p.

Great game! Very impressive turnaround after going down 24-10. Reminded me of the Oregon State game in 2008

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fun game to watch, good win. Enjoy the early jump on everyone in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I am so fawking happy Funk, I wish you and I could throw down some whiskey's brother.
    Same here man. Same here. I've got a celebratory Makers 46. I'm a fan of this stuff. I know you are a Jameson man, but give me a good bourbon or American whiskey.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Jameson is smoooooth. Good stuff.

Kind of like Troy Williams in the 2nd half.

Banned
    This Utah Team should roll into UCLA ranked in the top ten and undefeated. The South is right now under our control.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    This Utah Team should roll into UCLA ranked in the top ten and undefeated. The South is right now under our control.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Same here man. Same here. I've got a celebratory Makers 46. I'm a fan of this stuff. I know you are a Jameson man, but give me a good bourbon or American whiskey.
    I still love a great bourbon. Makers is my biker buddies choice every time,

LenDale White on twitter right now is entertaining stuff.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    LenDale White on twitter right now is entertaining stuff.
    Lendale White's HS coach at Denver South was none other than Tony Lindsay, former Utah RB.

This might be my favorite thread to read backwards ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll buy both DevilDog and mpfunk a drink if they'll let me sip a Diet Coke with them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

As the Utes were making that final drive, I told my son, "We might be watching something historic here." He shut me up, fearing a jinx. But I was right.

As four of us walked home from RES, we kept marveling at how good it feels to have a QB again who can take over a game and win it.

Not to mention an elite WR who can make plays when we need them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This may have been the play of the game.

Patrick had just had a ball bounce off his hands on a slant that wasn't a great throw. Guess he was tired of playing in gloves and ripped them off after that play. Don't think he dropped another pass the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This may have been the play of the game.

Patrick had just had a ball bounce off his hands on a slant that wasn't a great throw. Guess he was tired of playing in gloves and ripped them off after that play. Don't think he dropped another pass the rest of the game.

In his post game comments, he mentioned he had two drops that he blamed himself for. He said they were good throws, not willing to put the blame on Williams. He didn't mention the glove drop.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Highlights:

Last edited by LA Ute; 09-24-2016 at 12:12 AM.

--Yeats

Boy was that fun! My poncho was ripped in half by the end...totally worth it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Bolles blows up Cam Smith:

--Yeats

Here's every play in the final drive (with play-by-play called in Spanish??):

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/ut...ium=socialflow

--Yeats

Comments earlier in the thread talk about the crowd being disappointing. It may have looked so early, but the stadium was filled up, including the corners. There might have been some late arrivals due to weeknight issues, and a few empty seats due to either weather or high school games. But overall, it was a really good crowd. The rain kind of dampened (heh) the blackout, with a lot of jackets and ponchos in red and other colors.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-24-2016 at 01:35 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll buy both DevilDog and mpfunk a drink if they'll let me sip a Diet Coke with them.
    I'll buy your damn diet coke if you will stop posting in the fawkin zoob thread. Just stop man... seriously, it's that easy. Let them go. We just beat USC. We now control the PAC 12 South Division. Who gives a rat shit about about those clowns... besides you... and Provo?
    Last edited by Devildog; 09-24-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Trojan War - Utah vs. USC 2016

I'm stoked with the win. This is actually one of the first home games I haven't attended in over 14 years. Being sick, the rain and a piss-poor attitude resulted in me surrendering my seats to better people than me.

Box scores are virtually even with the two exceptions being time of possession and turnovers. A little like Brian Johnson, Troy Williams was great when we needed him to be.

Our WRs stepped up and are starting to run great routes to put them in positions to catch the ball. Thank you coach Halliday.

Our OL is finally starting to gel. They gave Williams protection and in the first half made the holes needed for our run game.

Interesting play calling. It seemed they went with something until USC could stop it and then would change. First half was run run run until they started stopping it. A little bit of the loss of production on the run has to do with Moss's conditioning.

Bolles leveling of the USC defender on the reverse may be my favorite play of the season thus far. Followed closely by Patrick's manhandling of Adore Jackson resulting in a lost shoe and a game winning touchdown. Yeah I know that should be it but it isn't. Go Bolles. I'll also chalk up that literal Jackson de-cleating to superior WR coaching.

It boils down to the better coached team won. The game plan was executed. Whit took some surprising risks but even if they didn't pay off I thought they were the right call. For example the second to last drive down by 10 and in field goal range on 4th and 1 he surprised me by going for it. It was the right call because we'd proven the ability to get short gains like that with relative ease and settling for a field goal would have kept momentum with USC.

Now as you'd expect from me, the gripes.

Like I said, Williams got it done when it counted but he needs to be way more accurate. For example that 4th and one in the last drive where Patrick caught it and fell out on the sideline? Patrick was in the right spot and open for a sure 1st down but had to correct and come way back just to catch a ball 3 yards underthrown. Watch the final drives and when Williams was missing he was WAY off.

Bolles has gotten a false start in every game I believe. Love the kid but that can't keep going, not at home.

Our D got schooled and that was hard to see. All year we've struggled to tackle on first contact. So many missed sacks and stuffed runs. We couldn't stop their run and we couldn't contain the passes. We lost a lot of those opportunities because we were going for a strip instead of a stop too. Yeah, I know they also caused three fumbles, but freaking wrap up and put your helmet on the ball.

Darnold looked legit for a freshman starting his first game. Wow.

The kickoff right to Adore Jackson was as dumb as kicking to Reggie Dunn. He knew it too, they showed in the replay. My kingdom for a guy who can consistently boot it out of the end zone.

Great win. LA Times is saying the better team lost. I don't know how you can say that. Play with a chip on your shoulder Utes. They still don't respect you.

Glad to be 4-0 and only two games away from bowl eligibility. Keep marching.

Last edited by Rocker Ute; 09-24-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Last night I looked in vain for a breakdown of that final pass play. I found it this morning. Here it is. It looks like Patrick simply owned Jackson on that route.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=LO40UcPwIFY

--Yeats

The Singleton TD was even more beautifully done than the one to Patrick. Williams' throw was perfect, and so was Singleton's route:

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Comments earlier in the thread talk about the crowd being disappointing. It may have looked so early, but the stadium was filled up, including the corners. There might have been some late arrivals due to weeknight issues, and a few empty seats due to either weather or high school games. But overall, it was a really good crowd. The rain kind of dampened (heh) the blackout, with a lot of jackets and ponchos in red and other colors.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the attendance. I thought it was pretty good given the weather predictions. The weather itself, was not bad at all and those who stayed home because of it certainly missed out. As for the crowd, it was loud and engaged. Go Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I was shocked at the ineligible receiver call. That pass play took no time at all to develop. On the replay, the dude rolled past the five years mark. What a lucky, game changing call for us.
    That call as well as the PI call at the beginning of the last TD drive were huge. Without either call, the outcome is likely different.

“We lost this game,” running back Justin Davis said. “Utah didn’t win.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la...nap-story.html

LOL. Come on, Justin. Man up.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-24-2016 at 10:35 AM.

--Yeats

Let's sit back and realize something. We have a QB. An actual QB that can make throws and move the offense. We have him for another season too.

Our offense can make plays to win a game with him. Williams grew up a ton last night. Steve Smiths cousin is legit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    --fjm.com