Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Utah at California-Berkeley

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Troy needed to wait 1 second longer to throw it to let him get some more separation, and it needed to be about a foot lower. If he caught the ball above his head with his back to the end zone as it was thrown, he would not have been able to gather, turn, and get in, would have been tackled, and the clock would have run out.
    Maybe. We'll have to look at the tape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    I wish A-rod and I had a chance to talk. I would love to tell him how lame his play calling is against a substandard Cal defense. People can say this is weak, but seriously... Hawaii scored 30 on these clowns. Our offense can't score from inside the 10 on several attempts? Shame on that fawker.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, USC is taking it to ASU right now. Don't think too hard about it. College football will never make sense.

Our offense moved the ball just fine in this game. 440 yards (Cal with just 360). We just missed on some really important downs, and we gave up some huge pass plays. We won total yardage, time of possession, and the turnover battle. Won't lose very often with that combination.

10 players with receptions again. This is a real positive. Singleton had 98 yards. 98. I was really wrong about him.

We are losing key player after key player this season. Fitts, Lotouleilei, Dielman, Patrick. Couldn't find too many more valuable than those four. This can't continue!
    And we lost or were without Fulks/Butler-Byrd who are our shifty open field guys

2016 Utah at California-Berkeley

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We are losing key player after key player this season. Fitts, Lotouleilei, Dielman, Patrick. Couldn't find too many more valuable than those four. This can't continue!
    I'm not despairing, just trying to stay cautiously optimistic.

You're right about the injuries. It does seem that KW and his staff are recruiting well -- we'd have been a lost cause in the past with so many players dinged. I hope Lowell will be back soon, and that Tim Patrick can return soon. Butler-Bird should be back too. A very nice season is still possible. They just have to get a little better at finishing drives, and we need Troy to be sharp. He wasn't tonight.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Does anyone really think that there is any comparison between Hawaii scoring 30 on Cal in the first game of the season in Australia, and us playing them in the 5th game of the season on their field?

Cal is a good team at home. They were 5-1 last year, and 2-0 this year with wins over Texas and Utah. Our offense didn't play its best tonight for various reasns, but we were a foot away from getting the road win.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And we lost or were without Fulks/Butler-Byrd who are our shifty open field guys

What happened to Fulks? I missed hearing he was out.

I'd like to see more of Simpkins. His move on the sidelines to pick up a first down (3rd quarter?) was nasty.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-01-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

This is big boy football. Bonnie of the teams on the schedules are easy.

If we were to play a 10-game series, I think we beat Cal 5-7 or so times. And we beat USC 3.5-5 times.

Next week we get Arizona. I think we beat them 7.5 times out of 10.

But we still need to bring our A game, because every team in the schedule can steal a game away from us. OSU included.

One weird thing even I noticed: On the TD pass from Webb to Hansen, we had a true freshman, Blackman (sp?) who looks like a smurf, on Hansen, who's 6'4" tall and one of the leading receivers in the USA. Did we have no choice due to injuries?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    One weird thing even I noticed: On the TD pass from Webb to Hansen, we had a true freshman, Blackman (sp?) who looks like a smurf, on Hansen, who's 6'4" tall and one of the leading receivers in the USA. Did we have no choice due to injuries?

He is not a Smurf. He is 6- 1
    He was in for a couple plays. Either injuries or cramps or because of his height

We are 11th in the PAC in red zone scoring at 80%. Tonight we were 3 out of 5, or 60%. Going into this game Cal was last in the PAC in red zone defense. Until tonight they had not stopped anyone this season in the red zone. Ouch!

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-01-2016 at 09:51 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He is not a Smurf. He is 6- 1
    He was in for a couple plays. Either injuries or cramps or because of his height
    I was wrong about his height. Also, Kyle said in the post game interview that Blackman went in for just a few plays because of injuries.

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-01-2016 at 10:16 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We are 11th in the PAC in red zone scoring at 80%. Tonight we were 3 out of 5, or 60%. Going into this game Cal was last in the PAC in red zone defense. Until tonight they had not stopped anyone this season in the red zone. Ouch!

Remember when the Utes used to have a shuffle pass, the pop pass (Ben Moa!!), and other creative ways to attack a defense in short yardage, short field situations?

those were good times.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I listened to the ESPN 700 feed for the 4th quarter so I could get the kids out of the house. (Tried the PAC-12 Network app to watch but was told that I was "Unauthorized to view this content" despite having the channel at home.

Anyway, I just finished watching the last few drives. Man. Everyone is talking about the Moeai drop, but the play driving me nuts is Moss' first down run from the 2 the play before that. Seemed he had the angle to the pylon with the receiver holding a nice block on the corner, but Moss slows down to cut up field and that's when he gets buried by three guys. If he aims for the corner, I think we get in pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Anyway, I just finished watching the last few drives. Man. Everyone is talking about the Moeai drop, but the play driving me nuts is Moss' first down run from the 2 the play before that. Seemed he had the angle to the pylon with the receiver holding a nice block on the corner, but Moss slows down to cut up field and that's when he gets buried by three guys. If he aims for the corner, I think we get in pretty easy.
    I told my son the same thing. On the replay it looked if he would've ran hard at the wide out he gets in easy.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

You play three down to the wire games, you're likely to lose one.

Anyway, my Rose Bowl dream is still alive.

Does anyone really think that there is any comparison between Hawaii scoring 30 on Cal in the first game of the season in Australia, and us playing them in the 5th game of the season on their field?

Cal is a good team at home. They were 5-1 last year, and 2-0 this year with wins over Texas and Utah. Our offense didn't play its best tonight for various reasns, but we were a foot away from getting the road win.
    This.

Kyle said this after the game about the TO issue.

I'm proud of the team's effort and see lots of bright spots in it, especially the response to adversity and the way players stepped up. I would love to be a fly on the wall during coaches' meetings as they try to figure out how to get better at red zone scoring.

--Yeats

A lot to discuss from execution, play-calling and time management. Before getting into that, we are 2-1 in games decided in the last 30 seconds. A pretty good ratio. I expect several future games this season to be just as close, so hopefully the odds remain in our favor. Monday morning quarterbacking can be fun or aggravating. I don’t for one minute believe that my experience as a pee wee football or high school coach qualifies me to really second guess our coaches, since I watch the team play once a week. They coach these guys year round and certainly know their strengths and weaknesses better than me. No matter how many episodes of Law and Order Kyle has watched, I don’t need him stepping in to give me trial strategy. Likewise, he doesn’t need me to give him strategy.

Having said that, here we go. I’m going through this in chronological order as best as I remember it.

Defense. Four touchdown passes over the top. Unacceptable. But maybe that was the risk we decided on in order to keep their offense from coming close to their averages.

Offense. Control the ball. Check. No turnovers. Check. Score touchdowns in the red zone. No check.

One comment on Troy Williams. He has his strengths and his weaknesses. I have repeated this from the day he arrived on campus. He is not a dual threat QB. Despite having that label coming out of HS, he does not like to run, is not a good runner and does not run the read-option well. Listening to people say that they should have him run more is like listening to them say that they should make Travis a better passer. It doesn't work like that. Players are who they are not who we or the coaches necessarily want them to be. Travis does not make the play Troy made at the end of the USC game. Travis might have had a better chance of getting a running TD on the 2 failed 4th quarter goal line attempts than Troy.

10-14; Badly missed FG at the end of the first half. By itself, it did not lose the game, but it did change the mentality of the game decisions in the 4th quarter. Andy is no longer automatic.

17-21; Decision to Go for it on 4th and 1 inside the 20 with about 10. If Andy makes the earlier FG, I believe Whit kicks the FG here. But Andy missed and we are left with a decision. I understand the thought process of going for it. Andy has not been himself and a FG still leaves you behind by 1. With 10 minutes left, Cal is likely to score again. We have converted a lot of 4th and shorts. I understand going for it.

Play call was the same play that we had been gashing them on the whole day. I get it. Why not change it up and go play-action? Very possible. How did that work our for Stanford a few years ago when they went away from it’s strength and we held them at the goal line. How did it go for Pete Carrol when he decided to pass instead of run in the Super Bowl. Whatever the decision, if it works you are brilliant. If it doesn’t, you suck.

28-23; Time management when it gets to 4th and goal at the 11 with about 40 seconds remaining. Whit lets clock run down to 20 seconds and uses first timeout. I think this was a mistake even given the miscommunication that resulted in the second timeout. If the PI is again called and the same amount of time runs off the clock, we have it first and goal at the 2 with 36 seconds and 2 timeouts instead of 14 seconds and 2 timeouts. Run on first down took 7 seconds and a TO. Pass on 2nd down took 4 seconds and left 3 seconds on the clock. Regardless of the miscommunication, we have 3 seconds left and cannot run more than one play. If he does not run the clock down, we have 36 seconds and 2 timeouts. Run on first down takes the clock down to 29 seconds and we use second TO. If you pass again you have 25 seconds left even if you have the TO snafu. You can definitely throw a pass and then have a 4th down. I don’t think you can safely have a run play and then get another play off.

I guess this discussion can be avoided if the players execute and Moeai catches the pass and scores or the line and RB’s get a score. Oh well. Go Utes.

PS. It was great to see Ma'ake at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    A lot to discuss from execution, play-calling and time management. Before getting into that, we are 2-1 in games decided in the last 30 seconds. A pretty good ratio. I expect several future games this season to be just as close, so hopefully the odds remain in our favor. Monday morning quarterbacking can be fun or aggravating. I don’t for one minute believe that my experience as a pee wee football or high school coach qualifies me to really second guess our coaches, since I watch the team play once a week. They coach these guys year round and certainly know their strengths and weaknesses better than me. No matter how many episodes of Law and Order Kyle has watched, I don’t need him stepping in to give me trial strategy. Likewise, he doesn’t need me to give him strategy.

Having said that, here we go. I’m going through this in chronological order as best as I remember it.

Defense. Four touchdown passes over the top. Unacceptable. But maybe that was the risk we decided on in order to keep their offense from coming close to their averages.

Offense. Control the ball. Check. No turnovers. Check. Score touchdowns in the red zone. No check.

One comment on Troy Williams. He has his strengths and his weaknesses. I have repeated this from the day he arrived on campus. He is not a dual threat QB. Despite having that label coming out of HS, he does not like to run, is not a good runner and does not run the read-option well. Listening to people say that they should have him run more is like listening to them say that they should make Travis a better passer. It doesn't work like that. Players are who they are not who we or the coaches necessarily want them to be. Travis does not make the play Troy made at the end of the USC game. Travis might have had a better chance of getting a running TD on the 2 failed 4th quarter goal line attempts than Troy.

10-14; Badly missed FG at the end of the first half. By itself, it did not lose the game, but it did change the mentality of the game decisions in the 4th quarter. Andy is no longer automatic.

17-21; Decision to Go for it on 4th and 1 inside the 20 with about 10. If Andy makes the earlier FG, I believe Whit kicks the FG here. But Andy missed and we are left with a decision. I understand the thought process of going for it. Andy has not been himself and a FG still leaves you behind by 1. With 10 minutes left, Cal is likely to score again. We have converted a lot of 4th and shorts. I understand going for it.

Play call was the same play that we had been gashing them on the whole day. I get it. Why not change it up and go play-action? Very possible. How did that work our for Stanford a few years ago when they went away from it’s strength and we held them at the goal line. How did it go for Pete Carrol when he decided to pass instead of run in the Super Bowl. Whatever the decision, if it works you are brilliant. If it doesn’t, you suck.

28-23; Time management when it gets to 4th and goal at the 11 with about 40 seconds remaining. Whit lets clock run down to 20 seconds and uses first timeout. I think this was a mistake even given the miscommunication that resulted in the second timeout. If the PI is again called and the same amount of time runs off the clock, we have it first and goal at the 2 with 36 seconds and 2 timeouts instead of 14 seconds and 2 timeouts. Run on first down took 7 seconds and a TO. Pass on 2nd down took 4 seconds and left 3 seconds on the clock. Regardless of the miscommunication, we have 3 seconds left and cannot run more than one play. If he does not run the clock down, we have 36 seconds and 2 timeouts. Run on first down takes the clock down to 29 seconds and we use second TO. If you pass again you have 25 seconds left even if you have the TO snafu. You can definitely throw a pass and then have a 4th down. I don’t think you can safely have a run play and then get another play off.

I guess this discussion can be avoided if the players execute and Moeai catches the pass and scores or the line and RB’s get a score. Oh well. Go Utes.

PS. It was great to see Ma'ake at the game.

Good post. I would also add that Troy is a top ten passer in the country and that what Die Hard said about the coaches not wanting to risk injury where his strength as a passer is so vital, and with so little depth, makes sense too. I think it's easier to add some running plays for Troy than to turn Travis into as good a passer as Troy. But I'm fine with Troy as he is. I don't want him injured.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Good post. I would also add that Troy is a top ten passer in the country
    based on what? he's not even top-ten in the PAC-12 for completion percentage or QB rating.

I have no issue with him, but at the moment he's not even in the top half of passers in the P12.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    based on what? he's not even top-ten in the PAC-12 for completion percentage or QB rating.

I have no issue with him, but at the moment he's not even in the top half of passers in the P12.
    Hey, he's not stuck at 11th or 12th. Based recent Utes history at the QB position, that is progress!

--Yeats

The graphic they posted during the game.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

By the way, your post is gobbledygook. That he's not in the top ten in the Pac 12 doesn't mean he's not in the top ten in the country.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

By the way, your post is gobbledygook. That he's not in the top ten in the Pac 12 doesn't mean he's not in the top ten in the country.
    he's outside the top 50 in completion pct, yards per attempt, and QB rating nationally.

The graphic they posted during the game.
    i don't remember what specific measurement the graphic referenced, but I do remember seeing it. I think it was for statistics through last week's games.

Through this weekend, ESPN has Williams rated as the #74 QB based on passing rating, at 132.9.

That he's not in the top ten in the Pac 12 doesn't mean he's not in the top ten in the country.
    Also, I'm curious about your logic here. If he's 11th out of 12 passers, what possible way could he be 10th or higher when more passers are included?

Aaron Roderick. This loss is on him falls 100% on his shoulders. Cal can't stop anyone except for an Aaron Roderick led offense. At the end of the day, Utah will never make that next step in the PAC until we find an innovative OC. It very clear in all aspects of the game and recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Aaron Roderick. This loss is on him falls 100% on his shoulders. Cal can't stop anyone except for an Aaron Roderick led offense. At the end of the day, Utah will never make that next step in the PAC until we find an innovative OC. It very clear in all aspects of the game and recruiting.
    Kyle was very complimentary of Al Borgess after SJSU...maybe he goes and gets him.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

i don't remember what specific measurement the graphic referenced, but I do remember seeing it. I think it was for statistics through last week's games.

Through this weekend, ESPN has Williams rated as the #74 QB based on passing rating, at 132.9.
    I'm not an NCAA stats geek. I'm just going off of the graphic they showed last night of "top Pac 12 quarterbacks". I have to assume he's top ten by some metric.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo