Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2016 Utah at California-Berkeley

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Whit's big mistake was allowing the clock to run down from 40 to 20 seconds before taking the first time out before the 4th and goal. IMO, that limited what they could do much more than the timeout snafu.
    Probably true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Probably true.

I come here for validation. I get more from LA than from my wife.

That was a bad mistake, but I don't think it would have impacted the game. We had 2 timeouts and 1st and goal at the 2 with 14 seconds on the clock when the timeout was given. The first down run play with Moss going to the side took the clock to 7 seconds and we used our last timeout. I don't think you can risk running the ball on 2nd down and be sure you will have time to call another timeout and get a 3rd down play. You would need to pass, which we did. You definitely are not going to get 3 plays in 7 seconds regardless of how many timeouts you have. Whit's big mistake was allowing the clock to run down from 40 to 20 seconds before taking the first time out before the 4th and goal. IMO, that limited what they could do much more than the timeout snafu.
    We have done that two weeks in a row; it didn't cost us against USC, but did against Cal. Can't allow that to happen.

I come here for validation. I get more from LA than from my wife.
    Probably true, BUT isn't part of the tactic to prevent Cal from getting a final chance. Even 30 seconds is plenty for this Cal team if the Utes are up 1 or 2 or 3 for Cal to beat or catch up, especially with its timeouts. Also, maybe Whit thought Cal would call timeout. But they followed the Belichick approach.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Probably true, BUT isn't part of the tactic to prevent Cal from getting a final chance. Even 30 seconds is plenty for this Cal team if the Utes are up 1 or 2 or 3 for Cal to beat or catch up, especially with its timeouts. Also, maybe Whit thought Cal would call timeout. But they followed the Belichick approach.
    You don't let it run down on first down. You wait until 3rd or 4th to make sure you have enough time

Did anyone else have a traumatic flashback to that game in the MWC where we couldn't punch it in the endzone against UNLV with 4 consecutive tries from the 1? I lost all verbal communication capability for 16 hours, I was so disturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You don't let it run down on first down. You wait until 3rd or 4th to make sure you have enough time
    True. He must have been playing time-out chicken. But the first order of business is scoring!
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The team's poise was excellent.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Did anyone else have a traumatic flashback to that game in the MWC where we couldn't punch it in the endzone against UNLV with 4 consecutive tries from the 1? I lost all verbal communication capability for 16 hours, I was so disturbed.
    Nope. I don't let the losses ruin my day. A loss is like a bee sting that goes away quickly. But when they win, I'm Master of the Universe for a day (in my own mind). I learned this trick a long time ago.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I thought that was Colo State???? At the time, I didnt think KW would last the season, and wasnt sure he should.

I thought that was Colo State???? At the time, I didnt think KW would last the season, and wasnt sure he should.
    \

I remember he lost to UNLV 27-0 his second? season. Was the CSU game then too? At some point after that UNLV the team transformed, slaughtering Louisville (which had been ranked, I think) on the road and winning out except a heartbreaker vs. BYU.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

That game was a turning point for the program. I hope this game has a similar effect.

\

I remember he lost to UNLV 27-0 his second? season. Was the CSU game then too? At some point after that UNLV the team transformed, slaughtering Louisville (which had been ranked, I think) on the road and winning out except a heartbreaker vs. BYU.
    I googled it. The colo st game was 2005, KW's first year. With BJ and Ganther no less. Here is a recap:

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - Kyle Bell scored a 49-yard touchdown run with 5:05 remaining, then the Colorado State Rams stonewalled the Utah Utes on the goal line on three straight plays with less than a minute left for a 21-17 win Saturday.
    After Bell's touchdown, Utah drove from its 20-yard line to the CSU four.
    On first-and-goal, running back Quinton Ganther ran for a three-yard gain, but the Rams stuffed quarterback Brian Johnson for no gain on the next two plays.
    After a time out, Ganther again tried to take the ball to the end zone on fourth down, but was tackled by CSU's defensive end Jesse Nading with 22 seconds remaining.

Unless we score on 1st down, then there's 34 seconds left.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Unless we score on 1st down, then there's 34 seconds left.
    I watched the Falcons beat the Seahawks, who were up by 1, in 28 seconds in the playoffs three years ago.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I googled it. The colo st game was 2005, KW's first year. With BJ and Ganther no less. Here is a recap:

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - Kyle Bell scored a 49-yard touchdown run with 5:05 remaining, then the Colorado State Rams stonewalled the Utah Utes on the goal line on three straight plays with less than a minute left for a 21-17 win Saturday.
    On first-and-goal, running back Quinton Ganther ran for a three-yard gain, but the Rams stuffed quarterback Brian Johnson for no gain on the next two plays.
    After a time out, Ganther again tried to take the ball to the end zone on fourth down, but was tackled by CSU's defensive end Jesse Nading with 22 seconds remaining.

So traumatic, I blocked out the opponent. Colo State it was. It's all becoming clear again to me. UNLV was 27-0, with that bowling ball running back they had.... man, you gotta admit that it feels better to have our hearts ripped out against P5 competition rather than UNLV, though.

Didn't they bring in some therapists or a shaman or something in the middle of that season to fix the programs psyche?

I watched the Falcons beat the Seahawks, who were up by 1, in 28 seconds in the playoffs three years ago.

Tennessee on Saturday is an even better example. Still, I would much rather take the risk that we score on first down and have enough time on second, third and fourth if we dont.

I remember that on one of BJ's two attempts on 2nd/3rd downs, he actually got the ball over the goal line and the ref on that side of the field inexplicably didn't give him the TD call. Seems like sour grapes to whine about that now, but I was livid at the time. If memory serves (and it might not, after 11 years) it wasn't even that close - BJ got in.

I wonder how that non-call may have affected things long-term, if at all.

\

That game was 2007. I was there. This was the game that sparked my bad "in person" juju streak.

Quote Originally Posted by redastheycome View Post
    I remember that on one of BJ's two attempts on 2nd/3rd downs, he actually got the ball over the goal line and the ref on that side of the field inexplicably didn't give him the TD call. Seems like sour grapes to whine about that now, but I was livid at the time. If memory serves (and it might not, after 11 years) it wasn't even that close - BJ got in.

I wonder how that non-call may have affected things long-term, if at all.
    I was standing right at the goal line on that series. I gave the touchdown signal twice.

2016 Utah at California-Berkeley

Nothing new here but a decent analysis:

http://www.blocku.com/2016/10/2/1313...den-bears-blog

Our coaching staff is smart. We'll see what changes based on all of this. Whit himself talked about red zone efficiency in his presser today, said they need to be "more creative." Hot Lunch must've gotten to him.

What about coming out flat at the beginning of the game? Seems like that happens too often with KW teams, although no so much thos year (or am I forgetting something?). Anyway, it is 100% correctable and that is up to the coaches.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Nothing new here but a decent analysis:

http://www.blocku.com/2016/10/2/1313...den-bears-blog

Our coaching staff is smart. We'll see what changes based on all of this. Whit himself talked about red zone efficiency in his presser today, said they need to be "more creative." Hot Lunch must've gotten to him.

What about coming out flat at the beginning of the game? Seems like that happens too often with KW teams, although no so much thos year (or am I forgetting something?). Anyway, it is 100% correctable and that is up to the coaches.
    I called him last night and disccussed a number of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I called him last night and disccussed a number of things.
    So that's why his line has been busy all night