Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Utah at California-Berkeley

Loss is 100 percent on the offense. An even mediocre offense scores 40 in their sleep against this pathetic Cal defense. I was wrong about this offense. Last week was an anomaly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Not to be making excuses, but our guys being so banged-up has made a big difference in this game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Our receivers for the most part are awful. Especially without Patrick. We're slow and we can't hold on to the ball

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Not to be making excuses, but our guys being so banged-up has made a big difference in this game.
    Hawaii scored 31 against this team. No excuse at all. None.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Loss is 100 percent on the offense. An even mediocre offense scores 40 in their sleep against this pathetic Cal defense. I was wrong about this offense. Last week was an anomaly.

Holding Cal under 30 is an achievement for our D. But you're right, the O has to finish drives.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Wow. Didn't see that coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not getting that first down looms pretty large now.
    Okay I take it all back. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Our receivers for the most part are awful. Especially without Patrick. We're slow and we can't hold on to the ball
    This is the tweet I meant to take back. I really apologize. Oh ye of little faith

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Hawaii scored 31 against this team. No excuse at all. None.

I think Cal's defense is 11th in the PAC-12.

--Yeats

Isn't our D due for a big play? Like a pick or a fumble recovery?

--Yeats

Isn't our D due for a big play? Like a pick or a fumble recovery?
    Like maybe a SACK???

--Yeats

Remember when our punt return teams were a weapon?

--Yeats

Troy, Troy, Troy....

--Yeats

Come on, finish!

--Yeats

We got the ball at midfield, got to a first and goal situation. Gotta finish.

--Yeats

2016 Utah at California-Berkeley

Well, against the second-worst D in the conference you've gotta score from the one with the game on the line. Moeai has to catch that pass when it hits him in the hands. In the end we got outplayed.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-01-2016 at 07:54 PM.

--Yeats

If you can't punch it in from the 2 you don't deserve to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    If you can't punch it in from the 2 you don't deserve to win.

I agree Cal earned it.
    i wonder if Moss was supposed to run right on that play. Instead, he ran right into the spot vacated by the pulling left guard.
    bummer.
    time to learn a little humility, I guess.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Banned
    We deserved this loss. We had our chances and we failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I agree Cal earned it.
    i wonder if Moss was supposed to run right on that play. Instead, he ran right into the spot vacated by the pulling left guard.
    bummer.
    The whole timeout issue with the officials certainly made things more interesting.

Utes had to rush more than they wanted to. Part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I agree Cal earned it.
    bummer.
    Yeah, it looked like he ran straight into a wall. I just watched it over again a few times and it looked like the hole was supposed to be on the right.

--Yeats

You have to occasionally pull the ball on a read option. I don't think Williams pulled it once. And the pass to Moeki at the goal line? Ugh...
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Banned
    Williams did not shine. He looked very average this game. Cal's defense has been bad so far, but they looked great against us.

Is it possible the o-line was gassed after running 97 plays?

--Yeats

The pass to Moeai was the difference. We didn't make that play.

This is one of those games where it was a shame that someone had to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The pass to Moeai was the difference. We didn't make that play.
    It was a great call and it worked. He just needed to hang onto it.

--Yeats

It was a great call and it worked. He just needed to hang onto it.

Troy needed to wait 1 second longer to throw it to let him get some more separation, and it needed to be about a foot lower. If he caught the ball above his head with his back to the end zone as it was thrown, he would not have been able to gather, turn, and get in, would have been tackled, and the clock would have run out.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This is one of those games where it was a shame that someone had to lose.
    'How many chances did we have? No excuses... we failed against a crappy D.

So where do we go from here? I hope the team (the O-line, especially) gets mad and decides never to let that happen again.

I still contend that we still don't know how good this Ute team is. We haven't yet beaten a P5 team that is playing well.

--Yeats