Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    When you visit UA over the weekend and visit us midweek, that is not a good sign I suppose.
    With an early game and senior day Saturday I'm guessing the U set the visit for today. Both our recruits are here for the game tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    Emmanuel Akot is taking his official visit for the Cal game. Sounds like he loved his visit to U of A. I hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling we're 2nd place.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...es-hosting-two

Jacob Epperson also in town today. Some info on him here. MOAR Jacob big men!

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...dsBig-Men-5813
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 03-02-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Ha! I'm generally still optimistic about the program, but how many times have we finished #2 for a big recruit in the past 10 years? At some point, it becomes the norm.
    Oh I know. I just like to give people a hard time. But I do want to point out that we do land the Poeltl's, Chapmans, and Kuzmas of the world from time to time. I think we have as good a shot as anyone with Akot.

I would agree that we have a decent shot with Akot, however, if he chooses AZ then we would be second, yet again. For me it has gotten to the point where I just assume he is going to pick AZ. I can't help being negative about this stuff.

Fire Chris Hill!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Fire Chris Hill!

This has nothing to do with Hill or Kodiak. It's the LDS Church's fault.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Exactly. Fire the LDS church.

What's the excuse for state schools in states that aren't Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Absolutely. If only there had never been any LDS Church, there wouldn't be a U. of U. and we wouldn't be tormented by the rise and fall of the sports teams' fortunes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I saw this on twitter:

I'm hearing great things about the visit for Akot and Jepperson last night.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I saw this on twitter:

I'm hearing great things about the visit for Akot and Jepperson last night.
    Here's UCLA and Arizona and #2 and 3, respectively.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ankings-update

It appears that SF is the only thing Zona is still lacking.

I'm hopeful we can land at least one of them -- seems as though Oregon/UCLA/UA/UW/SC/Cal are getting all the physical talents in P12.

Here's UCLA and Arizona and #2 and 3, respectively.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ankings-update

It appears that SF is the only thing Zona is still lacking.
    And Washington ranked 5,
    Oregon 11
    Colorado 22
    Cal 31
    ASU 32.

tough league.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    And Washington ranked 5,
    Oregon 11
    Colorado 22
    Cal 31
    ASU 32.

tough league.

Brutal. ASU? Colorado? Stupid kids.

Brutal. ASU? Colorado? Stupid kids.
    At least we can take comfort knowing that most of those teams will be poorly coached and will squander most of that talent (Oregon being the notable exception).

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....on-a-decisiion

free article from rivals. Mentions that he will make a decision this week. So for those following along at home, congratulations on the anxiety!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....on-a-decisiion

free article from rivals. Mentions that he will make a decision this week. So for those following along at home, congratulations on the anxiety!
    You beat me to it. I'm really looking forward to coming in second place! That's some encouraging improvement over last year's second places.

It will be tough for Utah to overcome what Miller/Arizona can say to Akot about Stanley Johnson and Alonzo Trier. I hope we finally break through with one.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions

This will be fun to watch this week. As I have mentioned before, the 247 folks LOVE to boost their prediction % by throwing on a 'prediction' when it becomes obvious that a recruit is going a certain way. However, always keep in mind that they flocked to Jayce Johnsons page to mark him down for Cal, only to have him commit to Utah three days later.

Akot set to announce tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Akot set to announce tomorrow.
    Here's goes nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    It will be tough for Utah to overcome what Miller/Arizona can say to Akot about Stanley Johnson and Alonzo Trier. I hope we finally break through with one.
    What? That they were locks for the NBA before they ever stepped on Arizona's campus? That is reality. Miller is a good coach but those guys could have gone anywhere and the result would be the same.

Totally agree with you Utefan but young men don't necessarily see it that way. You better believe Miller is selling their success and playing time at Arizona to Akot. I posted a few weeks ago a comment that Hanno Mottola passed along about Markannen. Just like Stanley Johnson, Markannen had designs on going to the NBA after one year regardless of where he chose so his decision between Utah and Arizona came down to which program had more competition internally. He wanted to be pushed in practice as much as possible so he chose Arizona over us.

I have no idea what is most important to Akot in making his decision. I've been told Utah's done a terrific job recruiting him. I also know from talking to a few people around him that he really likes the state and would love living in Salt Lake City.

I hope we get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Totally agree with you Utefan but young men don't necessarily see it that way. You better believe Miller is selling their success and playing time at Arizona to Akot. I posted a few weeks ago a comment that Hanno Mottola passed along about Markannen. Just like Stanley Johnson, Markannen had designs on going to the NBA after one year regardless of where he chose so his decision between Utah and Arizona came down to which program had more competition internally. He wanted to be pushed in practice as much as possible so he chose Arizona over us.

I have no idea what is most important to Akot in making his decision. I've been told Utah's done a terrific job recruiting him. I also know from talking to a few people around him that he really likes the state and would love living in Salt Lake City.

I hope we get him.
    Akot appears to be a very good prospect but he isn't going to be a one and done guy like Markannen regardless of where he ends up. He is more raw skill wise than Markannen.

The flip side of what Miller is selling him about practice is that he will be competing against other high 4 and 5 star recruits for PT. He will be more likely to get minutes and early PT at Utah then Arizona where he may mostly ride the pine for the first year or two.

Practice or not, more development occurs through consistent playing time and real game situations.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    He will be more likely to get minutes and early PT at Utah then Arizona where he may mostly ride the pine for the first year or two.
    I think there's a good chance he gets playing time at either place. Who does Arizona return next season? Alkins and who else?

But it is true that zona already has four top recruits coming in. Not everybody will get time over Alkins.

I think there's a good chance he gets playing time at either place. Who does Arizona return next season? Alkins and who else?

But it is true that zona already has four top recruits coming in. Not everybody will get time over Alkins.
    Akot is a 2018 recruit. Arizona will continue to recruit for that class and if they can bring in another, more ready wing where there is overlap at that position, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Akot is a 2018 recruit. Arizona will continue to recruit for that class and if they can bring in another, more ready wing where there is overlap at that position, they will.

It was reported last week that Akot is going to accelerate to class of 2017 and be eligible this fall.

It's Arizona.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It's Arizona.
    Sigh....not surprised,I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It's Arizona.
    :sadtrombone:

Just gotta get used to picking up left-overs and identify off-the-radar talents (e.g. Wright & Poeltl). And, hopeful, we can coach-up the said left-overs and talents. Most of the other P12 schools, sans WSU, are picking up high-potential recruits. Had hoped we can get Akot and slowly get the ball rolling for future recruiting.