Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Basketball Recruiting thread

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    This is for the 2020 class.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jayce's spot goes to a guard.
    If Utah is doing anything to fill Jayce's scholarship (and I have to think that Jayce is definitely gone at this point) they are doing an incredible job of keeping it under wraps. It's been a couple of weeks since they missed on the JC kid that chose WVU and then signed Wenzel. Since then it's been crickets....for weeks.

Larry said in the Deseret News the other day that he has questioned his previous desire to always fill all 13 scholarships as that just leads to more transfers. This may be him signaling that he will leave Jayce's spot open.

I think this team is at least one impact veteran guard away from having a reasonable expectation of competing for the NCAA tournament next year. I'm not expecting that guard to be added at this point. Here's to hoping that Gach, Jones, Gaskin and Wenzel make for a much better backcourt than my current expectation.

Testing, testing. Is this thing on?

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Looks like the fee got paid and we are back up.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I feel like the board went through an Avengers: Infinity War type event where SeattleUte snapped his fingers and made half of the board disappear. As one who disappeared in the snap, I am thankful to whoever gathered the stones and brought us all back.

Anyway, is no one going to talk about the fact that Larry got perhaps his best commitment ever for the class of 2020? I mean sure, hiring Henry Martinez helped, but I think Ian Martinez has a chance to be really special.

I feel like the board went through an Avengers: Infinity War type event where SeattleUte snapped his fingers and made half of the board disappear. As one who disappeared in the snap, I am thankful to whoever gathered the stones and brought us all back.

Anyway, is no one going to talk about the fact that Larry got perhaps his best commitment ever for the class of 2020? I mean sure, hiring Henry Martinez helped, but I think Ian Martinez has a chance to be really special.
    I have a hard time getting excited for this program. I was excited when I saw Devon Daniels play. I was excited when I saw Donnie Tillman play. i was even excited at how Jayce was playing at the end of last year.

Snake oil salesman.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Dalen Terry off the board; going to Arizona.

Just to reset, we are only carrying 12 scholarhsips for 2019-2020 (at this moment) and are full for 2020-2021 (lol). I have seen a number of scholarship offers go out for 2021 in the last couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Snake oil salesman.
    Mr. Sports, SU wants you to switch your photo to this:

snakeoilsalesman.png

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Mr. Sports, SU wants you to switch your photo to this:

snakeoilsalesman.png
    I like the old school picture of Larry as well. A daily reminder of who it is I am on here to be a shill for.

I found the picture to be the highlight of the story...

Obviously a bad event for the kid although I am sure he will recover. But I think Ute fans are going overboard. Stuff like this happens. It is a risk to take recruits out for recreational activities. Sissoko lives with some BYU booster and it will all work out for him. Pope and the coach at Wasatch will work it out.

I think BYU is wasting their time trying to get WA kids. Sissoko aint going there with or without this incident. I know theyve got one LDS kid there now who has a family connection but by and large that is not going to be a BYU pipeline. Or Utah for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Obviously a bad event for the kid although I am sure he will recover. But I think Ute fans are going overboard. Stuff like this happens. It is a risk to take recruits out for recreational activities. Sissoko lives with some BYU booster and it will all work out for him. Pope and the coach at Wasatch will work it out.
    I have seen the U take guys snowmobiling. I have a hard time thinking that a bunch of alpha male 18 year olds on a snowmobile haven't ever been hurt.

Then again, they are elite athletes. Maybe they have quick reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I have seen the U take guys snowmobiling. I have a hard time thinking that a bunch of alpha male 18 year olds on a snowmobile haven't ever been hurt.

Then again, they are elite athletes. Maybe they have quick reflexes.
    Snowmobiles tend to be far more forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry lands his third four-star commit today with Swedish combo guard Pelle Larsson. He joins Caleb Lohner (the guy I referred to above as an "LDS kid....with a family connection to BYU" lol. and Ian Martinez. The staff is doing work right now. That puts at +1 on the scholarship count, but that has a way of sorting itself out every year.

Larry lands his third four-star commit today with Swedish combo guard Pelle Larsson. He joins Caleb Lohner (the guy I referred to above as an "LDS kid....with a family connection to BYU" lol. and Ian Martinez. The staff is doing work right now. That puts at +1 on the scholarship count, but that has a way of sorting itself out every year.
    Larry's gonna save his job with recruiting. We've never been at this level before, and we'll have to see what he does with this. That's two forwards and a SG, right? I wish I could trade one of our bigs for a guard.

Edit: whoops, he's a guard. Even better!

Very cool. Now we probably just need 5-6 more commits for next year and we should be in good shape.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Very cool. Now we probably just need 5-6 more commits for next year and we should be in good shape.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

via GIPHY

Larry K and the staff have now signed the number 7 ranked recruiting class nationally. Here is the release:

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/11/13...21-season.aspx

Larry K and the staff have now signed the number 7 ranked recruiting class nationally. Here is the release:

Is falsev the brother of the byu football player?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Is falsev the brother of the byu football player?
    I believe he's related but not a brother. Cousin I think....

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I believe he's related but not a brother. Cousin I think....
    Yep. When he first committed, he mentioned that JD was just really excited for him, no bad blood or anything.

it's way too early to be celebrating the number 7 class. This is BS.

I lose confidence in coaches who think it's about PR and not just winning.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    it's way too early to be celebrating the number 7 class. This is BS.

I lose confidence in coaches who think it's about PR and not just winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by seattleute View Post
    it's way too early to be celebrating the number 7 class. This is bs.

I lose confidence in coaches who think it's about pr and not just winning.
    lol!
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 11-14-2019 at 01:52 PM.

If you think I'm just negative, see my recent football posts. What I don't like is mendacity.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I thought you have always said Utah doesn't get those top recruits and shouldn't try. Are you trying to show a failure or shortcoming here?

Really, your relentless jihad against Larry K. is becoming ridiculous. No Utah fan is happy about the player exits or the mediocre results. We don't need you beating the drum constantly.

--Yeats