Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Basketball Recruiting thread

2020 Basketball Recruiting thread

Nico Mannion. We mentioned him in another thread so I thought we would document it here.

If I did my maths right, Matt Van Komen is class of 2020.

He was 7-4 in 9th grade.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/video-ut...e-in-the-paint

Pace Mannion has a son old enough to play for the Utes. Wow.

When I was in third grade my teacher was pregnant and asked us to suggest names. I remember I thought of the perfect name, Pace, after my idol Pace Mannion.

When she didn't use that I remember being genuinely disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Pace Mannion has a son old enough to play for the Utes. Wow.

When I was in third grade my teacher was pregnant and asked us to suggest names. I remember I thought of the perfect name, Pace, after my idol Pace Mannion.

When she didn't use that I remember being genuinely disappointed.

I think Pace Mannion was named after this guy:

http://questworld.wikia.com/wiki/Race_Bannon
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Sports Illustrated article on Nico Mannion. It's loooong.

A 15-YEAR-OLD (SORTA-MAYBE) BASKETBALL PRODIGY

Legacy ties are great but I'm not too confident we are going to land this kid.

Last edited by LA Ute; 02-09-2017 at 07:10 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

For our BB program, I am not confident that we can recruit any top prospects until there is a signature on the dotted line.

A 15-year-old (sorta-maybe) basketball prodigy

Don't know if this has been posted here, but a great article about Nico Mannion:

http://www.si.com/longform/2017/nico...all/index.html

I hope Utah has a shot at him, but those aren't the kids we can typically land

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I hope Utah has a shot at him, but those aren't the kids we can typically land
    Maybe he will keep us on his list out of courtesy, like Jabari did with BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe he will keep us on his list out of courtesy, like Jabari did with BYU.
    I won't say I expect him to come to the U. But I would be surprised to see the U not be in the running.

Pace and Nico were at both Ute games in the state of Arizona this year. I doubt that was just a courtesy call.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Don't know if this has been posted here, but a great article about Nico Mannion:

http://www.si.com/longform/2017/nico...all/index.html

Lots of Utah gear in that piece.

2020 Recruiting thread

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Lots of Utah gear in that piece.
    I hope he doesn't know Stevie T.
    :nailbiting:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I hope he doesn't know Stevie T.
    :nailbiting:

NO need to worry about Stevie T. The bigger headache will be Kalani.

His hair would match the uniform nicely.

Pace was 6-7. His son is 6-1 at 15. He'll be a lot taller at 18. No?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Pace was 6-7. His son is 6-1 at 15. He'll be a lot taller at 18. No?
    They're saying he could be 6'1" to 6'7" or so.

A familiar name popped up in this group.

Kevin Durrant on Nico Mannion.

Mannion is a legacy alum and he's tight with Under Armour. Tony Bland, the one assistant that got a lot of play in the SI story, is out of the picture. I gotta think ASU is our biggest threat in the West (If he wants to go to UK or Duke and they offer, nothing we can do about that). And who's the guy sitting between Pace and Gaia with the Ute logo on his jacket?

I'm not saying he's a must-land, but ... he's a must-land. We need some sizzle about the program, and we just don't have any. This kid changes that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm not saying he's a must-land, but ... he's a must-land.
    I wouldn't go that far. If he continues on the trajectory that he's on, he'd be more of a "very-very-nice-to-land-but-long-shot" to me. If he's a national recruit squarely on the radar of the blue bloods (UNC, KU, UK, UCLA) I wouldn't set up the U as being a school that should beat those guys out, no matter where his dad played.

But you pose an interesting question: What is a "must land" by Utah's definition? To me, Chapman was a must land. Any kid that's a Utah-raised, non-LDS (or at least non-BYU connected) kid with solid P5 potential is a Ute must-have recruit. The Akot loss really stung. CJ Wilcox stung. Alex Jensen was a great win. The Johnson brothers were great wins. Those, to me, are the Utah Must-Haves.

I'd say the head coach's sons, should they have the talent level to match the dad's program, also should be Must-Haves. The second Coach Tinkle got the OSU offer, the recruitment of Tres went belly up.

Legacy recruits are a different breed if they haven't been raised in Utah. I mean, what does Pace's career/connection to the U really mean to Nico? What does the state of Utah or SLC mean to Nico? I have no idea. I think of a guy like Archie Manning. One of his boys followed his legacy, and the other went to Tennessee, much to the shock and chagrin of Rebel Nation who assumed they they were both in the bag. But a kid has to find his right fit for coaching staff, academics, lifestyle, playing opportunity, feel for the community/campus. I'm not sure where "dad's school" fits in that criteria. I'd imagine it's there, but down the list a fair amount.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    Legacy recruits are a different breed if they haven't been raised in Utah. I mean, what does Pace's career/connection to the U really mean to Nico? What does the state of Utah or SLC mean to Nico? I have no idea. I think of a guy like Archie Manning. One of his boys followed his legacy, and the other went to Tennessee, much to the shock and chagrin of Rebel Nation who assumed they they were both in the bag. But a kid has to find his right fit for coaching staff, academics, lifestyle, playing opportunity, feel for the community/campus. I'm not sure where "dad's school" fits in that criteria. I'd imagine it's there, but down the list a fair amount.
    I don't think that is really accurate in this case though. Perhaps SCP and those who follow recruiting more closely will chime in but I think Nico is closer to the program and coaching staff than you think. I believe he was raised in SLC for a time and has been to many Utah games in the past.

Pace Mannion was a Utah Jazz reporter/correspondent for a while a decade or so ago. I think there is a connection to the community here.

On a side note, my grade school teacher was pregnant and about to have her baby and asked the class to write down suggestions for names. I wrote down ‘Pace’ after my basketball idol at the time, Pace Mannion, along with a detailed argument as to why it would be a great choice for her (somewhat reminiscent of Ralphie’s Red Rider BB Gun theme). I remember being bitterly disappointed she didn’t end up picking such a great name.

Some people you just can’t reason with.

It sounds like Adam Silver is seriously looking at making changes to the 1 and done rule currently in place in the NBA. All signs point to getting rid of the 1 and done rule and adopting some model that includes the G-League as an option for kids that want to jump straight to the Pro's out of high school.

Admittedly, I don't know if Nico Mannion projects as a potential 1 and done but I know he is a highly rated kid in the recruiting rankings. It would be tough to lure a kid like that to college if the Pro's come calling. Now I don't know how fast these changes could be implemented but it certainly looks like the 1 and done rule is going away at some point.

Doesn’t Silver need to get the Players Association to go along with any change to the one and done rule?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

As a sophomore.

What do the experts believe about our shot with Nico Mannion?

I am not an expert, but I believe we will be in his final 3 for a long time, we will all have our hopes up, we will invest lots of time, money, and energy on his recruitment, and then he will choose Duke.

The thought process for kids like him are go to Duke. If Duke doesn't offer what is the next highest profile team? Will North Carolina? Should I consider UCLA? Arizona would have been in the mix but no one knows what is going to happen there. Will Kansas offer?

He likely doesn't give a rip about his dad's alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am not an expert, but I believe we will be in his final 3 for a long time, we will all have our hopes up, we will invest lots of time, money, and energy on his recruitment, and then he will choose Duke.
    No, we will be in his final 2. That's how we do things around here.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    No, we will be in his final 2. That's how we do things around here.
    And he really really really will have liked us. If it just hadn't been for the other school, he would have come here.

by 2020, he may just go straight to the nba or the expanded G league
    Last edited by concerned; 03-14-2018 at 10:23 AM.