Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Basketball Recruiting thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    And he really really really will have liked us. If it just hadn't been for the other school, he would have come here.
    And...he'll wait until the last few days to announce that he's stiffing us.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    And...he'll wait until the last few days to announce that he's stiffing us.
    And we will have a really good chance, because we have invested the most time recruiting him, until the other school swooped in at the last minute. He will really like and respect the staff.

You guys are making a pretty compelling case for not recruiting the top level guys, and focusing on the more realistic targets. No more Frank Jacksons, Markenens, etc...
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    You guys are making a pretty compelling case for not recruiting the top level guys, and focusing on the more realistic targets. No more Frank Jacksons, Markenens, etc...

the UVA model. Like Yoeli Childs, as Two Utes noted.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    the UVA model. Like Yoeli Childs, as Two Utes noted.
    I don't disagree. You have to know who you are, what your limitations are, and go all in on that. UVA's model could certainly work for Utah.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I don't disagree. You have to know who you are, what your limitations are, and go all in on that. UVA's model could certainly work for Utah.
    UVA's model seems predicated on a certain style of play (hard core defense and a slow style of play). Not sure that's an entertaining style or one anybody wants?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    UVA's model seems predicated on a certain style of play (hard core defense and a slow style of play). Not sure that's an entertaining style or one anybody wants?
    I've coveted Bennett since he was at Wazzu. I love watching his teams play and suffocate opposing offenses. He's the best coach in CBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I've coveted Bennett since he was at Wazzu. I love watching his teams play and suffocate opposing offenses. He's the best coach in CBB.
    lots of UVA final scores in the 50's and 60's even some in the 40's

I love the concept of going after the 4 year player, but there has to be a happy medium where the game doesn't slow down to 25 point halves

It would be interesting to consider where this program would be without Jackson and Markenen. Scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It would be interesting to consider where this program would be without Jackson and Markenen. Scary!
    Without those guys, we would probably act like our coach was overpaid!

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    This post is not aging very well right now.

Utes have offered a guy by the name of Dalen Terry. Already carrying some other offers including Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    It would be pretty cool to get him. Maybe LK will do enough with his 2018-19 squad to make our program look good to Nico. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It would be pretty cool to get him. Maybe LK will do enough with his 2018-19 squad to make our program look good to Nico. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?
    Gotta at least like our chances more than Vandy's, right?

Not sure how I missed this but it appears Nico has reclassified to the class of 2019. Also, one school that he didn't include in his top 10....scumdevils. Gotta love that!

2020 Basketball Recruiting thread

2020 commitment from Mason Falslev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how I feel about having a Falslev on a Utah roster.

I couldn’t resist.

I

2020 Basketball Recruiting thread

This picture is pretty awesome.

Sounds like this guy will be in for a visit this weekend. Top 40 prospect and a compton magic player to boot. Would be a great start to the non-mission 2020 class.

https://247sports.com/Player/Dalen-Terry-46050638/

In addition to Terry, 6'3 guard Ian Martinez was in for a visit. He is a top 200 prospect who appears to still be getting his name out there.

2018-2019 Roster:
    Sr:
    Barefield
    Van Dyke
    Topalovic

Jr.
    Johnson
    Jones

Soph.
    Tilman
    Popoola

Fresh.
    Hendrix
    Allen
    Battin
    Gach
    Thioune
    Gaskin

2019-2020
    Sr.
    Johnson
    Jones

Jr.
    Tilman
    Popoola

Soph.
    Hendrix
    Allen
    Battin
    Gach
    Gaskin

Fresh.
    Thioune
    Carlson
    Brenchley
    Van Komen
    Jones
    Jantunen

2020-2021
    Sr.
    Tilman
    Popoola

Jr.
    Hendrix
    Allen
    Battin
    Gach
    Gaskin

Soph.
    Thioune
    Carlson
    Brenchley
    Van Komen
    Jones
    Jantunen

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    2018-2019 Roster:
    Is Van Komen a mission kid?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Is Van Komen a mission kid?
    Last I heard was no.

With a hat tip to DrumNFeather, it looks like we have offered 6'7 forward Dyson Koehler of Jordan High!

Seems like a good shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    With a hat tip to DrumNFeather, it looks like we have offered 6'7 forward Dyson Koehler of Jordan High!

Seems like a good shooter.
    Would this be to replace Jayce, or is he later? Is this the shooter that everyone was saying we should offer?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Would this be to replace Jayce, or is he later? Is this the shooter that everyone was saying we should offer?
    This is for the 2020 class.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jayce's spot goes to a guard.

I've seen Koehler play a few times. Terrific form, has some length, meets the eye test. It will be interesting to see how he develops.