Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Beat the Beavers, injuries be dammed.

Where does the term "burned a redshirt" come from?

We haven't done anything with DHC's redshirt. He just won't redshirt this year. He can still redshirt in future years.

I'm just pissed at our defense. I predicted a 19-0 win for us.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    On the other hand, I thought the Utes came out in the second half and felt like they had things under control and could just coast. They looked to me like a team that had enough of the rain and wind and just couldn't wait to get on the plane back to SLC. OSU on the other hand came out and fought.
    In his post game interview with Riley, Chase Hansen said the Utes came out a little flat after halftime. One great thing about these Utes is that they do learn, and I'm sure they learned from that letdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I think this is a key point that I saw as well. I felt like Utah dominated the first half but made the mistakes that prevented the game from being more like 24-0 (and even that is conservative). They moved the ball fairly steadily on the ground and only a few fumbles and a penalty or two stopped them from blowing it open. Blame it on the players, blame it on the conditions, it doesn't matter.

On the other hand, I thought the Utes came out in the second half and felt like they had things under control and could just coast. They looked to me like a team that had enough of the rain and wind and just couldn't wait to get on the plane back to SLC. OSU on the other hand came out and fought.

Everybody has been all over the playcalling and maybe they're right, but I kind of think the coaches' hands were tied. Did we run Joe too much? Probably, but what else did we have? Run Troy more? Not after he fumbled twice in the first half. Run one of the other backs? That's not a great situation to get somebody their first real work and there has to be a very good reason why they don't want to use Manalo at all. Should you throw the ball more? With our success rate when we did throw I have a hard time believing that we needed more of that. There's a lot of downside with the potential for an interception and extra clock stoppages (on Utah's possession in the middle of the 4th they threw several times incomplete, giving OSU an extra 1-2 minutes to work with at the end).

I'm not saying I love the playcalling in the second half but it was largely the same stuff that was working in the first and I'm not smart enough to know what would have worked better in that situation.

I wonder how many more Whitt-Gary matchups we'll get in the PAC 12. I believe OSU will rotate off the schedule the next two years. Will both coaches still be at their school in 2019? The north is brutal right now. OSU can improve a bunch and still be about 5th in their division because UW is going to be very good as long as Peterson is there, Leach has Wazzu rocking and I believe Stanford and Oregon will both bounce back relatively quickly. Cal is about the only team I can see OSU passing because I don't think Dykes will last long. I wonder how long Gary will be able to hang on there.

What I do know is that every time Whitt and Gary face each other, with their similar styles and familiarity, it will be an ugly grinder of a game. Best to just accept that.
    Agreed. We can't stop playing OSU soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Gary Andersen is an amazing coach. Top 25 at worst. It will be nice to get them off the schedule so he can "upset" other schools as he builds OSU up.

It's much better to lose to an expected 8 win team than an expected 3 win team.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Where does the term "burned a redshirt" come from?

We haven't done anything with DHC's redshirt. He just won't redshirt this year. He can still redshirt in future years.
    He also got a carry on the last play of the 3Q.

It depends on how effective he is in the season where he plays.

In 2002, Alex Smith came into the SDSU game where we were struggling badly on offense, just to throw a pick 6.

Had he stayed long enough to see the end of his eligibility at Utah and got injured or something right before his senior year, that play would've been seen as "burning his eligibility" since his play was largely ineffective and you could use that redshirt for an injury season.

Utah 19, OSU 14 (WW)

(Think Top Gear's Star in the Reasonably Priced Car)

The two Ws are for wet and windy. Yesterday was very frustrating, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it would have been much less so if not for the weather.

For those complaining about the offense, I have to say that I was more upset at the defense. Those two TD drive by OSU were simply unacceptable. The first one was too damn easy, the second one made the third string QB look like an all star.

Now, I am not going to tell anyone not to grouse about the game. As I said, it was frustrating, and it took me a couple of hours to unwind, even as I breathed a sigh of relief. If grousing makes you feel better and helps you cope, then, by all means, press on.

OTOH, if grousing actually makes you feel worse, might I suggest a different coping method?

Finally, for you Sunday morning QBs, while hindsight is 20/20, remember that Winston Churchill pointed that it does not tell what would have happened if a different course of action had been followed.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

We still have DHC's redshirt. We can still use it. You don't assign redshirt's until the season ends.

Alex Smith never used his redshirt. It was still available to him.

Heck, playing DHC helps with redshirting. If you redshirt with no injury, it's very hard to get a medical RS. If you RS due to injury and get hurt again, it's easier to get a medical RS.

For the past two seasons, we've played both Oregon schools, but only UW and Cal from the other coastal states.

Assuming we resume Wazzu and Stanford, we'll drop UW or Cal, if OSU is already going to be off the schedule. I'd rather take a break from UW.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    One great thing about these Utes is that they do learn, and I'm sure they learned from that letdown.

So, I am not so sure about this. I agree with Seattle Utes that the goal is to win, and we shouldn't stare too hard at how that's done, but I can't go as far as he did and suggest that it doesn't matter. A season is a process. If the team isn't improving from week to week (overall, obviously learning and improvement are rarely entirely consistent), then there is reason to investigate.
    Troy Williams has improved significantly this season. Joe Williams had a tremendous game yesterday. I am undecided about the offensive line.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

By the way, lost among all this discussion of the team's performance is this: Yesterday it really was Utah by 5.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    So, I am not so sure about this. I agree with Seattle Utes that the goal is to win, and we shouldn't stare too hard at how that's done, but I can't go as far as he did and suggest that it doesn't matter.
    I am pretty sure that it does matter to Kyle and his staff.

--Yeats

One thing that wasn't mentioned about weather, Reeser stadium is odd.

It doesn't sit North-South like most stadiums. It actually sits at an angle. So the wind isn't behind or into you, it's a crosswind. Likely explains why the wind was more of a problem than it may usually have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    One thing that wasn't mentioned about weather, Reeser stadium is odd.

It doesn't sit North-South like most stadiums. It actually sits at an angle. So the wind isn't behind or into you, it's a crosswind. Likely explains why the wind was more of a problem than it may usually have been.

All you have to do is watch OSU's last field goal attempt. That was part kicker, but cross wind took it plenty as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    For the past two seasons, we've played both Oregon schools, but only UW and Cal from the other coastal states.

Assuming we resume Wazzu and Stanford, we'll drop UW or Cal, if OSU is already going to be off the schedule. I'd rather take a break from UW.
    It's Cal and OSU that rotate off (which is a bad break for Utah). Cal and Stanford alternate and then we rotate through the other four north division teams. OSU is the only one who we haven't missed so far.

So, as terrible as ARod was, no props for 170+ yards from a kid who has not played football in a month and Butler-Burd with 50+ yards rushing as well.

Not too damn bad for a team on their 7th? string RB?

Man, imagine how great we would have been Saturday if ARod knew anything about offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    So, as terrible as ARod was, no props for 170+ yards from a kid who has not played football in a month and Butler-Burd with 50+ yards rushing as well.

Not too damn bad for a team on their 7th? string RB?

Man, imagine how great we would have been Saturday if ARod knew anything about offense.
    Butler-Byrd was a lot of fun to watch on Saturday.
    I wonder if he can throw it, because that sweep-action has "pass" written all over it (like Booker's pass last year vs. Oregon)
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Ijustwatchedthereplay.(Stupidspacebar).Thegamewasn 'tasgoodasFunkmadeitseem.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, well, and water is wet.

I only wish that we Admins could somehow take credit for your faulty space bar.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I think the cookie crumbs in the keyboard share the blame for the Spacebar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I think the cookie crumbs in the keyboard share the blame for the Spacebar issues.
    Guys this is serious! I'm on my phone now but at work I can't use the spacebar. What will y'all do without my posts?

I listened to DJ and PK on the drive to work, looking for some giggles about BYU's situation, but instead they had a long interview with Lincoln Kennedy, the former UW & NFL O-lineman, who does some PAC-12 analysis, and does broadcasts for Fox.

He has to be one of the sharpest football minds in all of the media. Hans Olsen is pretty astute, insightful, and well spoken, but Lincoln Kennedy is a few tiers above him. Essentially he's of the same mindset many of us are, looking for the Utes to put together a complete game. He thinks we should take care of business at UCLA, and then the Washington game will be big.

Guys this is serious! I'm on my phone now but at work I can't use the spacebar. What will y'all do without my posts?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Cruel post.

Cruel post.
    Truth hurts. Sorry not sorry.