Thread: I've got 99 cap problems, but the Mullet ain't 1: 2016-17 NHL Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Its nuts this year to see that the most frequent line combination with Toews this year has been Motte-Toews-Panik. We have been gutted with the cap and injuries have hurt a lot too. It is going to get worse as the Demigod continues to age. If Hossa retires before his contract is up, it is going to be even scarier. The cap recapture penalty can rot in a deeper level of hell than the cap.
    Yeah, well, that is where StanBo went wrong isn't it, signing those backloaded deals when they were the rage. I understand your hate for cap recapture, but it is StanBo's own fault, and negotiated in the CBA that all agreed to.

That said, Hossa should have won a couple of Selkes by now if the voters ever decide that wingers can win them too. I mean the friggin trophy was started as a way to recognize a great defensive winger to begin with (Bob Gainey). I think Lehtinen with Dallas was the last winger to win it, over 13 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Yeah, well, that is where StanBo went wrong isn't it, signing those backloaded deals when they were the rage. I understand your hate for cap recapture, but it is StanBo's own fault, and negotiated in the CBA that all agreed to.

That said, Hossa should have won a couple of Selkes by now if the voters ever decide that wingers can win them too. I mean the friggin trophy was started as a way to recognize a great defensive winger to begin with (Bob Gainey). I think Lehtinen with Dallas was the last winger to win it, over 13 years ago.
    Here is why it bothers me. The league had the option to and did not reject the contract for circumventing the cap. The league exercised this option with Ilya Kovulchuk's deal. Although, I get it, the collective bargaining agreement targeted these contracts and it was signed off on by the league owners, so we have to deal with it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I agree with you that Hossa should have multiple Selke trophies if not for the fact that it has somehow become the best defensive center award.

Even when Toews won the thing, it should have gone to Hossa.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I'm still hopeful for this year. The team is not playing well, but there are issues that can be fixed. The blueline has been rebuilt this year and I'm really happy with it. It is good enough that there was a potential of Campbell getting some rest here and there.

Kempny and Forsling have been really solid additions.

I'm not sure where the season goes, but for the first time in several years I doubt that I will be posting "I miss Nick Leddy."
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com