Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: College Gameday against the Husky Boys

Hybrid View

College Gameday against the Husky Boys

Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-22-2016 at 08:32 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Interesting picture choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably should have started with these:

image.jpg

image.jpg

via GIPHY

Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-22-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Line opens as Huskys -10.5

A look at the schedule of the Huskies shows they've had the relative easy part of their schedule... but so have we. Chris Peterson at BSU had Utah's number in a big way. I think Utah is going to pull it together and play the best game of their season, but I wonder if it will be enough. You've got to believe that they saw the UCLA game and aren't going to want to have Joe Williams setting school records (and current season records) on them. Does that open up other parts of the game for us? How can we play that to our advantage.

Secondary got torn up yesterday. That's got to change if we've got a shot. Faelen had a pretty good game considering he got rushed a ton, very cool head. We've got to get pressure in the backfield.

I'm pretty nervous about this. I really don't want it to be like the TCU coming out party when Game Day was here two times ago.

This game totally reminds me of 2010. The similarities are very eerie. For example:

In 2010, you had a 9-0 team vs a 8-0 team. You had college gameday present. You had major bowl implications (BCS) on the line.

You had team 1, with no bye coming into the game. They had faced a tougher schedule before hand. Their opponents average offensive rank was 69. Their opponents defensive rank was 76. Their offense wasn't scoring as much per game as team 2.

Team 2 had a bye in week 5. They had faced an easier schedule leading up to the game. Their opponent's average offensive rank was 91. Their opponent's average defensive rank was 80. Their offense was more potent scoring wise than team 1.

Team 1 went out and destroyed team two, 47-7.

This season is almost an exact copy of that season. This year has a 7-1 team vs a 7-0 team. College Gameday will be present. Winner has the inside track on a playoff berth at best, Rose Bowl at worst.

Team 1 has not had a bye coming into the game. They have faced a tougher schedule so far. Their opponent's average offensive rank is 59 and defense is 86. Their offense isn't scoring as much as team 2.

Team 2 has had a bye in week 6 coming into the game. They have faced an easier schedule so far. Their opponent's average offensive rank is 85 and defensive is 93. Their offense is scoring more than team 1 per game.

The big difference this year? Washington looks like 2010 Utah and Utah looks like 2010 TCU.

As great as Washington has looked so far, they haven't faced a team anywhere near as good as Utah.

Here is a crazy stat: If you look at total yards, Utah is the best offense Washington has faced all year. Only Stanford has a better defense.

Offensive yard-wise, UCLA and Washington essentially the same. Cal has a better offense. Washington will be the best defense we have faced all year, although UCLA was very similar until we played them.

What's my point? We've faced better offensive teams than Washington and similar defensive teams.

They haven't faced a team anywhere near as good as we are.

Edit: If you look at yds/game, Oregon is a better offensive team with 480-ish yards/gm. We are still at 433 yds/game.
    Last edited by Utah; 10-23-2016 at 09:36 PM.

One thing we can be sure of is that Washington will be ready for that counter play. It'll be interesting to see what else A-Rod comes up with.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    One thing we can be sure of is that Washington will be ready for that counter play. It'll be interesting to see what else A-Rod comes up with.

Nah. They'll be expecting something different. Let's shake up their shakeup and just run the counter play.

They'll never see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Nah. They'll be expecting something different. Let's shake up their shakeup and just run the counter play.

They'll never see it coming.
    Clearly, they should not choose to focus on the counter play. Only a fool would do that. Clearly, they are not fools. But we must know they are not fools. So clearly they must choose to focus on defending the counter play.

Random thoughts from last week's game:

1. In all the superlatives about Rumblin Joe, one thing that has surprised me about him is how much better he is after contact now then he was at the start of this year. He'll never be Devontae Booker in this category, but he has become much better at gaining yards after contact. Still, he's valuable because of his homerun speed (see, e.g, UCLA), but he was devastatingly bad early on about the small 3 yarders; he was turning gains of three into a loss of one. Now, however, he's taking what the defense gives him and churning for yards. And then once he hits the second level, good bye! Really great to see him perform so well.

2. UCLA was running their RB (olufumbelyea) into the flat with ZERO intent of throwing the ball to him. I mean, he was just running to the sidelines without ever looking back for the pass. They must have done this 20 times. I couldn't tell what they were trying to do, but my guess is they wanted Kavika L out of the play and they wanted Barton in isolation. If we'd switched and put Barton on the RB, my guess is they would have thrown to him or done a wheel route, but we never switched up. This is my big concern of the Washington game; Barton on UW's tight end.

3. Injury report? Any information on Casey hughes who hurt his shoulder late? What about Domo? He was carried off the field and I didn't see him return.

4. D-line: We got good pressure from the right side (Dimick) all game. We really miss Kylie Fitts. Is something wrong with Pita? He was invisible this game although he was out there for most of it. He needs to step it up; if he's not going to pressure the QB we might as well have a big guy that can hold down the edge.

5. J Fogal: I thought he was oK, considering he's a former walk on taking over for all Pac M. Williams. He had two picks that were misthrown balls, but he had a few whiffs on tackles and more than a few passes in which he was too steps to late. I suspect a team would have more respect if Marcus was in there and not throw to Iese all game.

6. O line: Big time game. Boilles and Asiata make for a mean left side. This is the first year in the Pac when I feel we have an above average O-line.

7. Mokofisi's sack on the last drive of the game was a killer. Props to him, but that is a rookie mistake by Falafel to take that sack. Take grounding over the sack there.

8. Andy has been less than atuomatic, but he had a really good game. Lots of 45+ tries and besides the first one I think he nailed them all.

9. For all the hate that Arod and Harding get on here (looking at you Funk and HotLunch), the o-line dominated and the play-calling was great. This was a UCLA team that was supposedly great against the run, BUT WE HAD THE ALL-TIME RUSHING RECORD AGAINST THEM! (Not only a Utah record, it was the most yards Ucla has given up to one player, ever). I think they deserve a sincere apology and maybe a fruit basket from you guys.

10. 7-1! (I can't stop thinking about what would have been if we had just executed vs Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Random thoughts from last week's game:

7. Mokofisi's sack on the last drive of the game was a killer. Props to him, but that is a rookie mistake by Falafel to take that sack. Take grounding over the sack there.
    Taking a grounding penalty would result in a 10 second run-off. Still might have worked to their advantage, but only by one play or so.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I like all your points. I have nothing to add other than I think Domo came right back in a few plays later. I think it was a leg cramp.
    Yes Domo went out after first down and returned on third.

I like all your points. I have nothing to add other than I think Domo came right back in a few plays later. I think it was a leg cramp.
    Domo was dancing with the fans at the end of the game. He looked fine.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person calling him Falafel during the game. During another game there was a player named Vallejo that when I first saw his jersey I thought it said Waffle Jo. (Another good nickname that hopefully isn't racist).

Maybe I'm hungry during the game or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm glad I wasn't the only person calling him Falafel during the game. During another game there was a player named Vallejo that when I first saw his jersey I thought it said Waffle Jo. (Another good nickname that hopefully isn't racist).

Maybe I'm hungry during the game or something.

Thatoneactuallysoundsracist.

Someone on twitter is suggesting this as a GameDay sign. I like it!

Why The Utah Utes Deserve Your Respect And Attention

http://thesportsquotient.com/ncaa-fb...-and-attention

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Why The Utah Utes Deserve Your Respect And Attention

http://thesportsquotient.com/ncaa-fb...-and-attention

Absolutely correct. Thanks for sharing.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Wtf are the talking about? A lot of nastiness toward Troy Williams there. I'm not convinced it's deserved. They're reading too much into his comments.

http://hardcorehusky.com/forums/
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

If we can knock Browning down a peg or two, we win. His growth is the biggest reason behind UW's surge this year.

The scary thing is elite QBs usually thrive against our defense after multiple looks. Think about guys like John Beck and Andy Dalton from the MWC, and Matt Leinart and Marcus Mariota in the Pac-12. Average at best the first time around, positively lethal the 2nd or 3rd time around. Jared Goff never got two looks at Utah. Kevin Hogan would've probably eaten us up last year (would've been his 3rd look -- Dalton's 3rd game was 2009, when TCU hung up 55 against us). Fafaul appears to be the exception, but 70 attempts will do that. He also averaged only 6.6 YPA, which is mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    If we can knock Browning down a peg or two, we win. His growth is the biggest reason behind UW's surge this year.

The scary thing is elite QBs usually thrive against our defense after multiple looks. Think about guys like John Beck and Andy Dalton from the MWC, and Matt Leinart and Marcus Mariota in the Pac-12. Average at best the first time around, positively lethal the 2nd or 3rd time around. Jared Goff never got two looks at Utah. Kevin Hogan would've probably eaten us up last year (would've been his 3rd look -- Dalton's 3rd game was 2009, when TCU hung up 55 against us). Fafaul appears to be the exception, but 70 attempts will do that. He also averaged only 6.6 YPA, which is mediocre.
    MattLeinart?IthinkyoumeanMattBarkley.Hey,coolIhave AppleJack'sdiseasenow.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

I think the difference now is that except for BYU--and it took Beck heroics to beat Utah on the last play--those teams had a huge talent and athleticism advanatage over the Utes. The odds were that the next time they'd be better ready for the Utes in every way and take care of business. The Huskies do have a talent and athleticism advantage, but not by much. And this Ute team has already beaten teams with a lot more talent and athleticism than Washington--USC and UCLA. Those teams certainly weren't caught napping against Utah, and their thoroughbreds prepared our team not to be overwhelmed by Washington's level of talent and athleticism, which is comparable to Cal's (if anything, Petersen's recruiting is a notch lower than Sark's--the one exception is Browning, who stands out in his recruiting classes).

I agree that a key is to bring Browning down to earth. But Washington is not all about Browning; it's a balanced team. We're going to have to deter the running game and score points on offense, as well as limit Browning to a mediocre or bad game and get some turnovers.

There's nothing structurally preventing the Utes from doing this. The problem is that for the first time this season we're facing a coach who is as good as ours.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-26-2016 at 10:23 AM.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I listened to a podcast of the John Pease interview. His keys for winning:

*Win at the line of scrimmage, both ways. He thinks Utah has an advantage here because the Huskies haven't come up against linemen of Utah's caliber yet. We don't have to dominate them (although that's the goal), just be overall consistently better.

*Turnovers -- win the margin, and get at least 3.

*Minimize big plays by Washington. One key to this is to make Browning uncomfortable constantly. Pease thinks sacks are overrated, harassment is really the goal.

Nothing too earth-shaking but he's a smart guy and these are good things to watch for.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Wtf are the talking about? A lot of nastiness toward Troy Williams there. I'm not convinced it's deserved. They're reading too much into his comments.

http://hardcorehusky.com/forums/
    That may be the most pathetic board I've ever read through. Holy cow.

It was like sitting in a group of dumb, illiterate 13 year olds.

UW is tempting the Oliver Woofing Theorem right now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    UW is tempting the Oliver Woofing Theorem right now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    OK, I Googled it:

http://wilson.engr.wisc.edu/rsfc/Woof.html#1

--Yeats

OK, I Googled it:

http://wilson.engr.wisc.edu/rsfc/Woof.html#1

You have not been a student of my posts. Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    You have not been a student of my posts. Shame on you.
    I can't be everywhere.

--Yeats