Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: College Gameday against the Husky Boys

At first, I thought Rocker was sincere, but as I got to where the end I decided he was trolling everybody who has said these things over the years. The mark of an excellent troll, is that you're not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If Rocker is being sarcastic or his post was a parody I apologize to him. I didn't read it that way.
    Which speaks to Rocker's skill at parody. He can emulate those he mocks so thoroughly and subtely that some see his words as genuine.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-30-2016 at 09:44 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Rocker is an evil man. But he didn't get me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The Demari Simpkins pass, in the red zone, in the waning seconds, by a guy who's never played QB in his life, seemed just bizarre. Just scratching my head about it. Maybe Kyle was thinking about that one.

The announcers mentioned that Wash didn't take the bait on that trick play. Simpkins had never lined up in the backfield so when he did they figured something was up and the DBs stayed home. I imagine they practiced the play a bunch, fell in love with it, and forgot that it needed to be set up to be effective.

So it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The best thing about that game was that we didn't quit when we were down 14. At that point I was expecting a TCU blowout. Our penalties were killers, but their two personal foul penalties kept us in the game.
    You guys can thank me for this. When I was a kid my dad taught me a trick. If things are going badly for the Utes, take a break, turn the game off, and it may turn around. So, when they went down 14-0, I went for a walk, bought a cup of cofee, and a dark chocolate and whole almonds bar, and when I came back, Shazam!, it was 14-7 and the worm had turned.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

You guys can thank me for this. When I was a kid my dad taught me a trick. If things are going badly for the Utes, take a break, turn the game off, and it may turn around. So, when they went down 14-0, I went for a walk, bought a cup of cofee, and a dark chocolate and whole almonds bar, and when I came back, Shazam!, it was 14-7 and the worm had turned.
    Thanks, SU. We are unworthy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    The announcers mentioned that Wash didn't take the bait on that trick play. Simpkins had never lined up in the backfield so when he did they figured something was up and the DBs stayed home. I imagine they practiced the play a bunch, fell in love with it, and forgot that it needed to be set up to be effective.

So it goes.
    The announcers were wrong. Simpkin's did not line up in the backfield. He lined up in the slot and went in motion and received the handoff. He had done the same thing several times without receiving the handoff. IMO, It would have been better had he taken the handoff at least once previously.

Surely this will be noticed as the coaches review the video. Seems like there is a lot to learn from this game.

The coaches know this is a structural weakness in the defense. The two things they can do is bring the SS down into the box and bump the linebackers over a spot (this creates other structural issues) or do a better job coaching the linebackers how to fill the gaps. The linebackers from the past couple of years knew how to do it, so I don't think the coaches have forgotten how to coach them up. It is a matter of experience. These linebackers have always been the best guys on their high school or JUCO defenses and could out athletic guys. They can't do that at this level and it is tough to coach it out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The announcers were wrong.
    Cheers, I should have known.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    it's mine

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Mine too. I found myself having to scroll back to the top to double check the author. After weeding through similar posts on UteNation after the game, nothing surprises me these days.

Only successful attorneys could afford to buy whole almonds in this market. I've noticed that even Mars drastically reduced how many they included in their fun size Halloween assorted bag this year.

Anybody else think it was hysterical that Mike Runge kept calling Julian Blackmon Armand Shine when he went back to receive a kickoff doesn't runge know that Shyne is out for the year doesn't have a spotter

Anybody else think it was hysterical that Mike Runge kept calling Julian Blackmon Armand Shine when he went back to receive a kickoff doesn't runge know that Shyne is out for the year doesn't have a spotter
    It's sad.

Athletics obviously didn't notice because it never got fixed

Runge and/or his staff often call the wrong player names.

I don't think it was hysterical. It is pathetic. Shyne never returned kicks and kids work too hard to have an announcer and his spotter simply not care enough about the program to know who is doing what.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It's sad.

Athletics obviously didn't notice because it never got fixed

Runge and/or his staff often call the wrong player names.

They did correct this In the 4th quarter. I know this because I tweeted about that in the third quarter and tagged it with the #UWvsUTAH tag they were promoting, and he announced it correctly on the next kickoff return that happened, so I'm taking credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Mine too. I found myself having to scroll back to the top to double check the author. After weeding through similar posts on UteNation after the game, nothing surprises me these days.

He he heh. Sorry everyone. I was mocking the people who irrationally complain about everything about our program around something totally ridiculous that coaches always say... "We've got to take it one game at a time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    He he heh. Sorry everyone. I was mocking the people who irrationally complain about everything about our program around something totally ridiculous that coaches always say... "We've got to take it one game at a time..."

Pure evil.

--Yeats

Asiata...

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm sure it was the hail mary. That was the bad play call. Nothing wrong with a trick play though. If that Simpkins pass works, and it may have, Kyle's a genius.
    I disagree. It was unnecessary and every bit as bad as the call on 4th down. You've got 2nd and 6 with 1:30 left, 3 TO's, and Joe Williams is rattling off 6 yards a carry. Run the ball, get the 1st down, and keep the drive alive. Dumb call given UDub was in a nickel and Williams was running at will.

This was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This was pretty funny.

--Yeats

Here's a crazy thought:

If we win out, we will be PAC-12 champions with a Rose Bowl Title over Michigan/Ohio St/Nebraska/Wisconsin.

I love this conference. What a great year so far and what a great game.

I want Washington in the title game.

Interesting analysis of the game by Hans Olsen:

http://www.1280thezone.com/film-stud...ed-washington/

--Yeats

OK, you've all been waiting patiently for my analysis of the game. Here goes;

- First of all, the game day experience on SLC has changed since I was a kid. No more getting in for free at half time, no more MAC kids. The stadium was packed 10 minutes before the game; and I mean packed.
    - I thought the difference in the game (besides the punt return) was dropped passes. We had three passes dropped (2 by Moeai, 1 by Simpkins) which would have extended drives. That's three drives that end on dropped passes. That is way too many. The WR are better this year, but still have a long way to go.
    - We miss Marcus Williams. Fogel is fine on pass defense, but he takes really bad angles on runs. Too many times he turned a 5-6 yard gain into a 15 yard scamper. On one of Washington's scoring drives there were 3 or 4 plays in a row in which they ran at Fogel and picked up 15-20.
    - Having said that, I love Chase Hansen. I hope he sticks around for two more years. His INT was so big. It was 14-0, they had the ball and it looked like TCU 2009. He's a gamer. How many tackles did he have in this game? 30?
    - It was nice to have Tauteoli back, but the LBs are out of position far too much. They have a lot to learn.
    - Joe Williams, what can you say? The guy was worse than nothing at the start of the year. Now? He's an All American-type back. The transformation (of the O-line and Joe) has been amazing.
    - The O-line is the best I remember at Utah. Yeah, they have too many stupid false starts, and yeah they sometimes miss blitzes (doesn't everyone?), but they are a mean bunch of blockers. Think what they would be if they had all-pac12 Dielman OR Hiva. Unbelievable.
    - Troy had a bad game. As expected, he was too hyped. There were 5 or 6 throws which had so much mustard on them that the receivers just stopped and watched them fly over their heads. He's a gamer, but way, way too much adrenaline this game. Oh, and he's atrocious at touch passes but that hasn't changed. All that being said, I'm glad he's our guy.
    - I think we underestimated Devonate's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Joe's hands are, um, not good. Catching those relief valves was a great antidote to blitzing last year.
    - Great to have Armand Shyne back to return kicks.
    - I thought the DBs played a great game. Against Browning and that #1 (Ross??) they more than held their own. Solid game for everyone of the dbs.
    - I had issues with our play calling (Simpkins passing? QB sneaks at the goal line? Sweeps at the goal line?), but my main gripe is on the designed runs with Troy at the goal line. HE IS NOT A RUNNER! Even though they put in a d-lineman at RB to block (Vaha), that is a terrible play call. Give the ball to Joe, up the middle. I hate to sound like a broken record, but out goalline play calling has been broken ever since McBride chose to give the ball to a skinny freshman safety (Lusk) instead of handing it to a future all-NFLer in Jamal. Break the curse!
    - I thought the coaches had a great game plan (well, Whit did. Pound the ball, milk the clock, etc). Kudos to all the coaches and players for a great game. I think UW had the better team on Saturday, but we had a good chance to steal one.

College Gameday against the Husky Boys

Chase Hansen had 9 tackles, one for a loss. He had a great game. Of course, when your safety has lots of tackles you do start to wonder how the runners got that far and where the linebackers were, but that's something for the coaches to figure out.

--Yeats

Chase Hansen had 9 tackles, one for a loss. He had a great game. Of course, when your safety has lots of tackles you do start to wonder how the runners got that far and where the linebackers were, but that's something for the coaches to figure out.

The linebackers looked to me like they were overpersuing on running plays to the boundary, which allowed the running back to cutback over and over. They seemed to get it figured out by the fourth quarter, but they still need work on being assignment sound.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I cheer for you and this is what you do to me? Let evil win.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I cheer for you and this is what you do to me? Let evil win.
    We're setting them up for a colossal flop in the Pac championship game (against the utes, of course).

College Gameday against the Husky Boys

I know others have said this already but I'm now completely convinced that the Simpkins drop on third down was the key to the loss, not the punt return. I was sure UW would drive methodically down the field, make us use up our timeouts, and kick a FG with little time left. So the punt return was not the worst thing that could have happened to us. The dropped pass effectively flipped the two teams' positions. Instead of Utah driving for a chance to win with no time left, UW was in that position.

--Yeats

I know others have said this already but I'm now completely convinced that the Simpkins drop on third down was the key to the loss, not the punt return. I was sure UW would drive methodically down the field, make us use up our timeouts, and kick a FG with little time left. So the punt return was not the worst thing that could have happened to us. The dropped pass effectively flipped the two teams' positions. Instead of Utah driving for a chance to win with no time left, UW was in that position.
    A lot of big plays in the final minutes could have changed things. The drop, the punt and return, Simpkins throwing the pass on the halfback pass instead of tucking the ball and running for a first down when it was clear that the receiver was not open, the sack on the next play, giving the receivers a chance to make a play on 4th down.