Thread: I Was in Salt Lake City Hunting Wolverines! Utah vs. UVU

I Was in Salt Lake City Hunting Wolverines! Utah vs. UVU

Utah welcomes in Utah Valley University to the Huntsman Center on Tuesday night. In their non-conference schedule, the Wolverines have squared off against Gonzaga, BYU, and Washington St. of note, falling to the two teams from the Pacific Northwest and dropping 114 on the Cougars.

This game also marks the return of Kenneth Ogbe to the Huntsman center, and he currently leads UVU in scoring at 15.6 points per game.

Should be an interesting game...one that I'd like to see us win convincingly.

This is our last game before heading to Xavier, and potentially getting Barefield and Colette back for Prairie View in advance of the Diamond Head Classic.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Nice piece on the wolverines in the trib.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4667958...plete-with-new

From an interview last week, it sure sounds like our staff felt like Ogbe was done and that they are happy for him having so much success at UVU. I understand our coaches feelings, but man if Kenny was our starting three right now.....oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Nice piece on the wolverines in the trib.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4667958...plete-with-new

From an interview last week, it sure sounds like our staff felt like Ogbe was done and that they are happy for him having so much success at UVU. I understand our coaches feelings, but man if Kenny was our starting three right now.....oh well.
    Yeah - something strange there. They must have felt like they could not medically clear him. He certainly would be a big help this season.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Yeah - something strange there. They must have felt like they could not medically clear him. He certainly would be a big help this season.
    I'm happy for these guys. Their big is a BYU castoff. Rose told him he wasn't going to play and he went off for 26 on them. The U gave up on Ogbe and he's leading UVU in scoring. Pope is one of the next young up and comers. If he doesn't get a bigger offer this year, he likely will get it after next.

But, their point guard is a nut bag. Utah can get in his head. They just can't let this team run and gun like BYU did.

Larry K must not be too happy with his medical staff re Ogbe.
    When he first got some relief & a good diagnosis--it was on the east coast.

Then in the article it talks about treatment in Germany that allowed him to play.

On the other hand he probably could not have done the Seal training that L.K. is high on---so maybe he did have to get a fresh start.

He is only a junior--ouch.

Having gone to UVU for a year when it was UVCC, and with Doug Chapman, Ma Jian and Craig Wilcox on the team, you have no idea how weird it is to see former Utes and Cougars making the reverse route to Orem.

It just seems like we are not getting the complete Ogbe story. He has injury problems and he is thinking about retiring and LK apparently thinks he is going to retire. He then goes to Germany and has some treatment and returns to the U for summer school and wants to play and decides to leave because he thinks Utah has recruited over him. I know Chris Seeley had not signed by then so why leave? Is LK now saying that he wanted him to stay? This did not make sense when it happened and still does not make sense. Utah would be a better team with Ogbe.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It just seems like we are not getting the complete Ogbe story. He has injury problems and he is thinking about retiring and LK apparently thinks he is going to retire. He then goes to Germany and has some treatment and returns to the U for summer school and wants to play and decides to leave because he thinks Utah has recruited over him. I know Chris Seeley had not signed by then so why leave? Is LK now saying that he wanted him to stay? This did not make sense when it happened and still does not make sense. Utah would be a better team with Ogbe.
    Oh well, the job now is to make him lose. Go Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Oh well, the job now is to make him lose. Go Utes.
    Mission accomplished! Does that give us the bucket?

Fun game. Nice to see these guys hit big baskets (especially three pointers) with the game on the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we went down by 3 in the last minutes, I said to my dad that we would see how much heart this team had.

in the post game show, Bill Reilly referred to the 3 point shot by PVD as the biggest shot of the game. I disagree, the three by Rawson a couple of possessions befor before that, that tied the game back up after going down 3, was huge in getting the momentum and confidence back to finish strong. Then the true freshman Zamora, with 4 straight free throws was amazing as well. This team is good, not great. But I hope to see them grow and improve as the season goes on, and finish conference play strong. Both as a team, and individuals as well.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Agree. They could have folded down the stretch.

Unfortunately Zamora is a JC transfer so a Jr., but he still was clutch.

Not sure why Cougs gave up on Neilson--he is a load & has a nice game.
    Hope Collette can do as well on pick & roll.

Devon Daniels after Ogbe took a charge on him in 2nd half, must have been talking trash. Larry K yelled "Devon shut up" loud enough that everyone in the lower bowl could hear him---then chewed him out & sat Daniels for 10 minutes.

And finally for those who missed it-----the UVU cheerleaders had huge white bows in their hair. At first I thought it had to be a joke, but they kept it (them) up all game---they were the epitome of "Utah County".

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post

Devon Daniels after Ogbe took a charge on him in 2nd half, must have been talking trash. Larry K yelled "Devon shut up" loud enough that everyone in the lower bowl could hear him---then chewed him out & sat Daniels for 10 minutes.

And finally for those who missed it-----the UVU cheerleaders had huge white bows in their hair. At first I thought it had to be a joke, but they kept it (them) up all game---they were the epitome of "Utah County".
    i keep getting Zamora's and Daniels' status mixed up in my head. Zamora looks younger for some reason.

i missed the bows on the Wolverine. . .etts? Wolverinees? All I noticed about them is they were banished to the west tunnel for most of the game, and would venture out when our cheerleaders would leave their spot for a cheer or promotion.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    i keep getting Zamora's and Daniels' status mixed up in my head. Zamora looks younger for some reason.

i missed the bows on the Wolverine. . .etts? Wolverinees? All I noticed about them is they were banished to the west tunnel for most of the game, and would venture out when our cheerleaders would leave their spot for a cheer or promotion.
    The visiting team reminded me of the other team that comes from that County, just wearing green, right down to fans and cheerleaders (those bows....was there an episode of Glee being filmed?)

You would think that last year he would've been able to give them better minutes than a guy like Nate Austin, who didn't develop at all in his 4 years there.

That roster is made up of three BYU transfers, one Utah transfer, and a Xavier transfer. I think Pope will do a nice job there, he had them hustling last night, and that's half the battle.

Everybody knows that if Rose didn't get rid of Neilson, Mika threatened to transfer to Utah. Everybody.

Hehe. And the upper bowl. I was basically on the opposite side of the court from Ute bench, and in the upper bowl. We heard it clear as day. The only question the moment it happened was "Who yelled that?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Everybody knows that if Rose didn't get rid of Neilson, Mika threatened to transfer to Utah. Everybody.

Not me. Never heard it until now.