Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Football - Spring 2017

Early signing would be great for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Per Bruce Feldman, our new RBs coach will be EWU RBs coach Kiel McDonald.

http://goeags.com/coaches.aspx?rc=16&path=
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

anybody else worried that Cal got the EWU head coach as oc, and he called all the plays last year? I hope Taylor is great, but he is a little inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Per Bruce Feldman, our new RBs coach will be EWU RBs coach Kiel McDonald.
    EWU has been gutted! I wonder if we got the better EWU OC or if Cal did. Time will tell, I guess.

Pro: I like that McDonald and Taylor are pals and are presumably on the same page when it comes to the offense.

Con: We only get so many assistants, and recruiting is the most important aspect of their job. I can't imaging that either Taylor or McDonald has a deep, vast recruiting network.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    anybody else worried that Cal got the EWU head coach as oc, and he called all the plays last year? I hope Taylor is great, but he is a little inexperienced.

Where are you getting this from? Taylor called the plays last year

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Fine, but Baldwin was at EWU for 8 years. He was at the head for the recent rise of that program, right? Taylor was only there for a year, and he took over an offense that had been successful for years.

I think it's fair to wonder if Cal got the better EWU Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

the Cal press releases annoncing the hiring of the head coach, and related publicity

All I know is that we got to pick first and we got the guy that Kyle wanted. Whether that guy is the right guy, time will tell. But we got the guy that Kyle thought would do the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Cal press releases annoncing the hiring of the head coach, and related publicity

Everything I've seen is that Baldwin used to call plays, but he handed that to Taylor last year when Taylor came aboard. Taylor is on record saying he called every play last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Fine, but Baldwin was at EWU for 8 years. He was at the head for the recent rise of that program, right? Taylor was only there for a year, and he took over an offense that had been successful for years.

I think it's fair to wonder if Cal got the better EWU Eagle.
    Yet it was Taylor who turned a walk on QB into a record setter in one year.

Taylor coached Jake Browning since the 5th grade. The kid threw 200+ TD's in HS.

And Taylor took a good offense at EWU and upper their yards and PPG for the one season he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Yet it was Taylor who turned a walk on QB into a record setter in one year.

Taylor coached Jake Browning since the 5th grade. The kid threw 200+ TD's in HS.

And Taylor took a good offense at EWU and upper their yards and PPG for the one season he was there.
    I'm with you and Dwight. We got the guy we wanted. It will be interesting now to see how it all pans out.

This guy has us ranked 32nd this year.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...-rankings-2017

USC is 4th, Washington 10th. Stanford is 13, Washington State is 24, Oregon is 25, and UCLA is right behind us at number 33. I don't think we got much benefit of the doubt.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Per FBS Schedules, the Pac 12 is set to release its schedule today...

My early guess....we play USC in September...

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This guy has us ranked 32nd this year.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...-rankings-2017

USC is 4th, Washington 10th. Stanford is 13, Washington State is 24, Oregon is 25, and UCLA is right behind us at number 33. I don't think we got much benefit of the doubt.
    I disagree that Utah needs to "rebuild" its pass rush. That's too extreme. We also have a strong DB pipeline, and all the key offensive skill positions are returned or covered.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Warning: the following video may cause serious football withdrawl.

And apparently the next video is going to be better.

Oh, and I added support for Vimeo videos. The BBCode is: vimeo

Football schedule:

https://pac-12.com/football/schedule/20170801-20180731

Last edited by sancho; 01-18-2017 at 11:08 AM.

12-0

Football schedule:

https://pac-12.com/football/schedule/20170801-20180731

I wish that bye was a little later.

Football schedule:
    At Arizona for a Friday game, so a short week there after SJSU in SLC. Short week for UCLA as well (at home after @Oregon).

Early bye before Stanford (homecoming?).

No back to back road trips.

Five teams finished ranked. Of the other four, we have Stanford/USC back to back, and we have UW/CU back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I wish that bye was a little later.
    Yeah, like one week later, between Stanford and USC.

No Oregon state or Cal--next years schedule much harder; we miss the two bottom feeders

No Oregon state or Cal--next years schedule much harder; we miss the two bottom feeders

Yeah, but we add Stanford, and as everyone knows we don't lose to Stanford.

Sancho Applejack

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Warning: the following video may cause serious football withdrawl.

Wow, that is really well done.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This schedule is much tougher than last year, but I think as hard as the opponents are, they were scheduled as softly as possible. No back to back road games. Maybe the bye could be later, but still, very fair.

Colorado's schedule and USC's are soft as soft can be. I'm not sure you could have an easier schedule..oh wait, Washington 2017. That being said, I don't see where USC loses a game next year.

I think USC wins the south. Utah, UCLA and Colorado fill in 2, 3, and 4. ASU comes in a distant 5th and Arizona is sixth.

Wouldn't surprise me if USC wins it all next year. Unfortunately, Helton is running USC right. Tough defense, run the ball, let your talent beat the other teams and don't beat yourself. We may have missed our chance this last year to win the south/PAC-12 for awhile now.
    Last edited by Utah; 01-18-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    This schedule is much tougher than last year, but I think as hard as the opponents are, they were scheduled as softly as possible. No back to back road games. Maybe the bye could be later, but still, very fair.

Colorado's schedule and USC's are soft as soft can be. I'm not sure you could have an easier schedule..oh wait, Washington 2017. That being said, I don't see where USC loses a game next year.

I think USC wins the south. Utah, UCLA and Colorado fill in 2, 3, and 4. ASU comes in a distant 5th and Arizona is sixth.

Wouldn't surprise me if USC wins it all next year. Unfortunately, Helton is running USC right. Tough defense, run the ball, let your talent beat the other teams and don't beat yourself. We may have missed our chance this last year to win the south/PAC-12 for awhile now.

Any year that someone besides USC takes the South is an opportunity missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    All I know is that we got to pick first and we got the guy that Kyle wanted. Whether that guy is the right guy, time will tell. But we got the guy that Kyle thought would do the best.

How do you know this? Maybe Kyle called Baldwin and he said not interested, but Taylor might be.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    How do you know this? Maybe Kyle called Baldwin and he said not interested, but Taylor might be.
    I respect you at lot, but I often feel like you have a bit of an axe to grind with some of your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Based on what categories Whitt needed to check off with the hire, and how soon the position was filled, Taylor was definitely plan A.

Quote Originally Posted by noneyadb View Post
    Based on what categories Whitt needed to check off with the hire, and how soon the position was filled, Taylor was definitely plan A.
    DJ and PK said this morning that Chris Peterson gave Taylor a rave review when he was hired at EWU (also said Taylor may have helped steer Browning to UW.) maybe KW talked to Peterson too.

Here's Wilner's take on schedules:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/1...dule-analysis/

On Utah:

Utah: The Holy War is the lone noncon highlight, but it’s an advantageous one: The Utes will have extra rest coming off North Dakota, while Brigham Young will be returning from a neutral-site date with, um, LSU. Utah’s conference lineup has no extremes, although it could be a fun finish if the Utes are in contention in the South. November features UCLA, WSU, UW and Colorado.