Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose? The Coach Taylor era begins.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Hooker and Burnside and Meade
    Grant replaced Halleck as commander in chief of the army and retained Meade as commander of the Army of the Potomac.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Grant replaced Halleck as commander in chief of the army and retained Meade as commander of the Army of the Potomac.
    Well, maybe technically true, but Meade was placed under he direct supervision of grant because he failed to pursue Lee's retreat at gettysburg. Lincoln "went thru" meade before he promoted grant from vicksburg. Meade's failure was one of the reasons grant was brought east.

Well, maybe technically true, but Meade was placed under he direct supervision of grant because he failed to pursue Lee's retreat at gettysburg. Lincoln "went thru" meade before he promoted grant from vicksburg. Meade's failure was one of the reasons grant was brought east.
    Is it that clear that Meade's failure to pursue Lee was a "failure"?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It's clear that Taylor needs better analogy skills.

Lincoln got killed, and Grant was a butcher of his own men. Doesn't bode well for our program.

(before anyone jumps on me that Grant just did "whatever was necessary", take a deep breath and relax. I am joking. Mostly.)
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    It's clear that Taylor needs better analogy skills.

Lincoln got killed, and Grant was a butcher of his own men. Doesn't bode well for our program.

(before anyone jumps on me that Grant just did "whatever was necessary", take a deep breath and relax. I am joking. Mostly.)
    This thread is hilarious ... We've all seen this movie before and yet somehow we're hoping for a different ending this time around? lol

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    This thread is hilarious ... We've all seen this movie before and yet somehow we're hoping for a different ending this time around? lol
    Our OC and your OC now have one year each as the OC at a D-1 level. And they did so against largely the same quality of opponents...

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Not to you apparently

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Our OC and your OC now have one year each as the OC at a D-1 level. And they did so against largely the same quality of opponents...
    ... ? This is a thread about Utah hiring it's 5th coordinator in how many years? Whittingham is who he is. Nothing is going to change. What's more, the Taylor era hasn't even begun and it has already gotten off to an 'awkward' start with the whole weird analogy thingy.
    Last edited by tooblue; 01-07-2017 at 09:41 PM.

The Taylor hiring means 1 of 2 things:

Whitt has finally decided to let the offense loose. He's looked at Patterson and knows his defense will suffer, but if it means more wins, then good.

Or

Whitt hasn't let go of his issues on the offensive side of the ball, we lose a game early because of our offense, Whitt demands we go run heavy again, we win 8-9 and we have a new OC in 2018.

... ? This is a thread about Utah hiring it's 5th coordinator in how many years? Whittingham is who he is. Nothing is going to change. What's more, the Taylor era hasn't even begun and it has already gotten off to an 'awkward' start with the whole weird analogy thingy.
    9th in 11 years, really.

Are you not entertained?

I think it is 9 OC's in 11 years, but it probably is the 5th OC since BYU last beat Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think it is 9 OC's in 11 years, but it probably is the 5th OC since BYU last beat Utah.
    I think it's about 15 OCs since tooblue had an original criticism of Utah sports.

9th in 11 years, really.

Are you not entertained?
    9 in eleven years? Really? How did I not know that. That's not normal. Of course, this means my posts are even more accurate than usual: we've seen this movie before, which makes this thread that much more hilarious.

9 in eleven years? Really? How did I not know that. That's not normal. Of course, this means my posts are even more accurate than usual: we've seen this movie before, which makes this thread that much more hilarious.
    As a BYU graduate we can expect Kyle Whittingham to eventually make the right decision, if given enough attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think it's about 15 OCs since tooblue had an original criticism of Utah sports.
    We all know you love Pride and Prejudice. We don't judge because you watch it 3, 4 or 5 times a year. But you do know the story doesn't change ... She gets her pride hurt because he's socially awkward and won't dance. He makes a dubious call on the whole sister doesn't share his buddy's affection issue. She, predictably, falls for the scoundrel and then has her come to Jesus moment but only after she sees his estate. They reconcile, all the loose ends are tied up, and they live happily ever after. No matter how many times you put the DVD on, the story stays the same. It is what it is.

As a BYU graduate we can expect Kyle Whittingham to eventually make the right decision, if given enough attempts.
    The problem is his first poor choice trumps all subsequent choices. He should never have chosen to and then stayed coaching the Utes in the first place.

Dan Sickles, who almost managed to lose the Battle of Gettysburg on Day 2, returned to Washington early due to wounds received on the battlefield. He was able to bend Lincoln's ear in order to paint himself as the hero and to poison the president's perception of Meade. When Grant took command he understood what actually happened, how Meade had won the battle, and how victory left him little with which to pursue Lee, and knew that he needed Meade.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

The problem is his first poor choice trumps all subsequent choices. He should never have chosen to and then stayed coaching the Utes in the first place.
    I agree. Going to BYU is always the worst choice, and no subsequent choice can overcome that initial failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Whitt has finally decided to let the offense loose. He's looked at Patterson and knows his defense will suffer, but if it means more wins, then good.
    It didn't mean more wins for TCU this season.

I don't really know what "let the offense loose" means. I think Taylor/Whitt will continue to use our players' strengths in smart ways.

I agree. Going to BYU is always the worst choice, and no subsequent choice can overcome that initial failure.
    Oh now, that's just silly, you rascal. But let's ask: would Utah football exist without the influence of BYU and all that has been and continues to be accomplished there? Of course not. Unfortunately, Whitt strayed and stayed away too long. The initial choice to coach and then stay at the U was the worst choice and evidently limiting. He will remain the head coach of a middling team from a middling conference, and nothing more. A new offensive coordinator isn't going to change that. It's too bad really. He's Utah's Bronco.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose? The Coach Taylor era begins.

Oh now, that's just silly, you rascal. But let's ask: would Utah football exist without the influence of BYU and all that has been and continues to be accomplished there? Of course not.
    We bow in reverence to BYU, which made us what we are. When Lavelle took over in 1972 and the series record was 41-8 for Utah, he was not thinking about beating Utah at all. Selflessly, he then led the Utes out of the darkness. Now it appears that Utah is returning the favor with our 16-7 record since McBride came.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_War_(Utah_vs._BYU)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-08-2017 at 08:03 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Dan Sickles, who almost managed to lose the Battle of Gettysburg on Day 2, returned to Washington early due to wounds received on the battlefield. He was able to bend Lincoln's ear in order to paint himself as the hero and to poison the president's perception of Meade. When Grant took command he understood what actually happened, how Meade had won the battle, and how victory left him little with which to pursue Lee, and knew that he needed Meade.
    And wherev would meade have been without Grant promoted over him? The point is Lincoln went through meade to get to grant. He knew he needed grant; he was exasperated and severely disappointed that meade had the opportunity to destroy Lee's army and end the war and didn't do it. That was Lincoln's thinking; a lot of historians agree with Lincoln's thinking and it is Lincoln's thinking that is important because he promoted grant over meade.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-08-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Oh now, that's just silly, you rascal. But let's ask: would Utah football exist without the influence of BYU and all that has been and continues to be accomplished there? Of course not. Unfortunately, Whitt strayed and stayed away too long. The initial choice to coach and then stay at the U was the worst choice and evidently limiting. He will remain the head coach of a middling team from a middling conference, and nothing more. A new offensive coordinator isn't going to change that. It's too bad really. He's Utah's Bronco.
    That reminds me. You are effectively playing a MWC schedule this year*. When will your program tuck its tail between its legs and go whimpering back to the place from whence it came?

*Playing 6 MWC teams. 7 if you count the Wyoming bowl game.

That reminds me. You are effectively playing a MWC schedule this year*. When will your program tuck its tail between its legs and go whimpering back to the place from whence it came?

*Playing 6 MWC teams. 7 if you count the Wyoming bowl game.
    I root against the byu as much as anyone, but I'm not giving them crap for the 2017 schedule.
    They're playing LSU, Wisconsin, Mississippi State, Boise State, and Utah.
    The byu isn't afraid to play anyone on the road. It's not the cougars' fault that they can't get solid November matchups.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

It's not the cougars' fault that they can't get solid November matchups.
    Yes it is. If they were in a conference, November would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yes it is. If they were in a conference, November would be fine.
    Yeah, there is that.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

I root against the byu as much as anyone, but I'm not giving them crap for the 2017 schedule.
    The byu isn't afraid to play anyone on the road. It's not the cougars' fault that they can't get solid November matchups.
    Sort of.

They play a lot of neutral field games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BYU has 8 guaranteed wins in 2017. No schedule with 8 guaranteed wins is a tough schedule.

Wrong thread. Please take this to the "Can't Quit You" thread.

via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Wrong thread. Please take this to the "Can't Quit You" thread.

via GIPHY

Yes! We only discuss US history and English literature in this thread!