Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Utah 2014 Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Could he bulk up and play LB?
    Yes, we should be able to provide a safe landing for kids who are sharp enough to realize that they don't want to be in Provo.

Lake is the best of the second tier of Utah prospects (after gustin, masina, that ucla ot, and folau). If he's not Pac12 caliber no one we are signing from Utah is either.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Lake is the best of the second tier of Utah prospects (after gustin, masina, that ucla ot, and folau). If he's not Pac12 caliber no one we are signing from Utah is either.
    It's not a science. He might very well be a fantastic HS corner who just isn't fast enough for the next level. He would still get rated higher than some other kids (at other positions) who will transition better. It's like that Vehoko kid. If I remember right, he was a 3 star linebacker, but people kept backing off due to speed concerns.

That said, I won't be upset if he ends up here and we make him a SS or LB or special teams machine.

and Braden Bowen, who dumped us for Ohio State.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-23-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's not a science. He might very well be a fantastic HS corner who just isn't fast enough for the next level. He would still get rated higher than some other kids (at other positions) who will transition better. It's like that Vehoko kid. If I remember right, he was a 3 star linebacker, but people kept backing off due to speed concerns.

That said, I won't be upset if he ends up here and we make him a SS or LB or special teams machine.
    Maybe he gets a preferred walk-on spot.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

All I have been told is that it's his speed. I'm told his best 100 time is a wind assisted 11.25. Mostly his times were around 11.45. Just as a comparison, I'm told, Kyle Fulks ran a 10.21 wind assisted and a 10.77 unassisted 100. I'm not taking any position (that would be laughable -- I know nothing about evaluating football talent), just relaying what I have been told. I think -- but am not sure -- that he still has a shot if he can show some other truly special skills. But he probably won't ever be playing corner at Utah.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

So, when a Utah high school has a big announcement party/assembly for Osa Masina, do students boo when he picks USC? Because I would have. Booed him till my throat gave out. Whether I was a student, teacher, principal, or head coach.
    Last edited by sancho; 01-23-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Two Utes,
    I haven't seen Seljaas so I cannot compare the two. I won't get a look at him until the state tournament. I don't know that Noah compares to anyone this year that I've seen. The unique thing about him is his body now and what his body can be. Physically, there just aren't any seniors I've seen in years who are his size and can move the way he moves. Jordan Loveridge was incredibly imposing as a senior at 6'6" but he couldn't/doesn't move like a guard nor did he have the ball-handling skills. Watching Stanley Johnson against us Saturday made me think of Togiai. I'm not saying he's that skilled but he has the body and certainly a high level of skill. He also plays above the rim.

I also like his demeanor. He appears to really love playing the game and competing. One thing I've noticed in three games I've watched of his this season is how he delights in the success of his teammates. He loves to assist. He takes plenty of shots and at times could use better judgement but selfishness is not a word I'd ever associate with Noah. This isn't a Jackson Emery type who's open as he gets off the bus.

In fact, comparisons to an Emery or even the younger Haws would be interesting. Noah is most definitely more athletic than Emery. Haws is faster and a better ball-handler but I don't know if it's by much. Neither of them could ever hope to guard and rebound at the level Noah could. I don't think he's far behind what they were as a shooter.

I sound like his agent - don't know him. I just think he's exactly what Utah needs at the two.
    Seljaas is a tremendous shooter. Can really score. As good as I've seen at this level. But he's not fast enough to guard a wing and not big enough to guard the post. He's perfect for BYU--run, shoot, don't play D. They will have to play a lot of zone with him or he will be exposed, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    They will have to play a lot of zone with him or he will be exposed, IMO.
    Good thing their other players can fill in the defensive gaps for him....oh, wait. No.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, when a Utah high school has a big announcement party/assembly for Osa Masina, do students boo when he picks USC? Because I would have. Booed him till my throat gave out. Whether I was a student, teacher, principal, or head coach.
    So as an adult you would boo a kid who has making a decision to take a better opportunity?
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    so as an adult you would boo a kid who has making a decision to take a better opportunity?
    Boooooooo! Booooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    So as an adult you would boo a kid who has making a decision to take a better opportunity?
    Yes. He deserves it. My satisfaction is far more important here.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Seljaas is a tremendous shooter. Can really score. As good as I've seen at this level. But he's not fast enough to guard a wing and not big enough to guard the post. He's perfect for BYU--run, shoot, don't play D. They will have to play a lot of zone with him or he will be exposed, IMO.
    So did we really offer him? Or did we back off?

He doesn't sound like someone that fits what Larry wants

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    So did we really offer him? Or did we back off?

He doesn't sound like someone that fits what Larry wants
    We did offer and he decided to go to BYU.

We did offer and he decided to go to BYU.
    Sounds like we won based on your review

Sounds like we won based on your review
    And BYU won because they got a kid that fits their playing style. Win-win.

And Seljaas won because he's a BHS kid going to the most homogenous, boring college, from the high school that fits the same mold. Win-win-win.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Diehard,
    I meant to reply to your comment about Togiai yesterday - I thought it was astute. If he plays football - whether Utah plays him at Defensive End or Tight End - they'll put serious weight on him. I don't see how he'll be able to play the two-guard if his weight rises above 220 to 225 pounds. I don't see how he's effective as a 6'4" power forward. If football is providing the scholarship he'll have to give them the stronger commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Diehard,
    I meant to reply to your comment about Togiai yesterday - I thought it was astute. If he plays football - whether Utah plays him at Defensive End or Tight End - they'll put serious weight on him. I don't see how he'll be able to play the two-guard if his weight rises above 220 to 225 pounds. I don't see how he's effective as a 6'4" power forward. If football is providing the scholarship he'll have to give them the stronger commitment.
    That's my thought as well.

I know he is the one that wants to forego a decision and play both, but I just don't see how it's beneficial to him, or to either team really.

That's my thought as well.

I know he is the one that wants to forego a decision and play both, but I just don't see how it's beneficial to him, or to either team really.
    Believing you can do something and actually doing it are two different things. He can do it in high school so he believes he can do it in college. The difference is that in high school, football and basketball may overlap for a week or two at most. In college, basketball practice starts in early October and games start in mid-november. Football does not end for most teams until the christmas holiday. The reality is he will be too far behind to make any impact in basketball. If the basketball team is involved in March madness, you miss spring football, and lost out on valuable time for making your mark on the football field. Who do you train with in the summer? Football or basketball? You can't train with both.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    All I have been told is that it's his speed. I'm told his best 100 time is a wind assisted 11.25. Mostly his times were around 11.45. Just as a comparison, I'm told, Kyle Fulks ran a 10.21 wind assisted and a 10.77 unassisted 100. I'm not taking any position (that would be laughable -- I know nothing about evaluating football talent), just relaying what I have been told. I think -- but am not sure -- that he still has a shot if he can show some other truly special skills. But he probably won't ever be playing corner at Utah.

Exactly what football benefit is there in measuring a straight line 100 yd dash for football, that can't be garnered from a 40-50 yd dash plus a shuttle relay?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Exactly what football benefit is there in measuring a straight line 100 yd dash for football, that can't be garnered from a 40-50 yd dash plus a shuttle relay?
    I don't know. I don't know that the Utah coaches are looking at 100 times, that was just research someone did. But I understand that the coaches don't think he can keep up with PAC-12 WRs, which is death to his hopes to be a DB in that league.

Now I'll watch as he becomes an All-American somewhere else.

--Yeats

God bless Noah. I wish him all the best. But he's getting way too much attention. Neither as a basketball player or a football player do the experts regard him too highly. I hope he proves them wrong! But there's no reason for Ute fans to dwell on this.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Great to go back thru this thread and see how wrong everyone was about everything!

One eternal truth remains: any recruit from the state of Utah who goes to a non-Pac 12 P5 school is destined for mediocrity. We spent so much time angsting about Brian Mone (Michigan, part time player, 10 tackles last year) and Kenyon Frison (Oklahoma then Eastern Arizona CC then ?). Of course, it would be nice to have had Jackson Schultz.