Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah 2014 Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UTE FANatic View Post
    I have been a subscriber with both sites and I think Rivals does have the better overall site, their rankings are usually better and they get guys rated quicker (the mods on Utezone can get film to the national guys and get unknown prospects rated quickly). I will give Scout one advantage though, it's much easier to interact with the national guys there than it is on Rivals, just Today I posted on the board and one of the national guys answered my question.
    This is probably the only reason I keep my Scout membership. I really like their national evaluators.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I look at how many of that class did not even make it to campus. Or made it later than recruited(Aiono).
    okay the article/podcast wasn't from KSL, but from Brian Swinney at Inside the Utes.

http://utah.scout.com/a.z?s=365&p=2&...2f1269840.html

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Ah, yes. Didn't he back up Kautai Olevao?

Ahh Kautai....... Every time I see or hear his name, I replay the hit in my mind when he destroyed the soul of Ronny Jenkins in the 98 rivalry game.

Kautai wounded his inner child.

Quote Originally Posted by stretchiute View Post
    I have a feeling this thread is going to get unwieldy after a while. What about a recruiting section on the site. Just a thought. This is dead time for everything, but when things heat up in recruiting it would be nice to have a place to post multiple threads imo.

Love the site

I agree with everything you said!!

Utah just invited a local kid, Logan Lee, to a come play under preferred walk on status. He played WR this year gained over 1100 yards and made 5A all state. He's 6'4" 200lbs and it sounds like Utah would like to have him bulk up and move to linebacker. His uncle is Jared Lee who played safety down at the Y. His Dad and uncles are all surgeons. He is planning on a mission first but when he comes back I think he can make an impact down there.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Utah just invited a local kid, Logan Lee, to a come play under preferred walk on status. He played WR this year gained over 1100 yards and made 5A all state. He's 6'4" 200lbs and it sounds like Utah would like to have him bulk up and move to linebacker. His uncle is Jared Lee who played safety down at the Y. His Dad and uncles are all surgeons. He is planning on a mission first but when he comes back I think he can make an impact down there.
    Thanks for the tip. Looks like a good kid. Besides, Logan Lee is a pretty good football name. Rolls right off the tongue!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Let's take an early look at some in-state recruiting. 247sports has their composite state rankings up (they combine a bunch of rankings from across the web). Here is their too early Top 12.

1. Brian Mone-DT Highland - Michigan Commit
    2. Dalton Schultz-TE Bingham - Undecided. Top 4: Stanford, Notre Dame, Utah, UW. (Also has offers from Nebraska, Oklahoma, Cal).
    3. Jackson Barton-OT Brighton - Utah Commit
    4. Allan Havili-DT Tooele - Utah Commit
    5. Kenyon Frison-OT Granger - Utah Commit
    6. Korey Rush-DE East - ASU Commit
    7. Zac Dawe- DE Pleasant Grove - BYU Commit
    8. Ola Tolutau - RB East - Undecided (Offers from Utah, BYU, USU, Hawaii)
    9. Isaiah Kaufusi - LB Brighton - Undecided (Offers from BYU, Hawaii)
    10. Amone Finau - ATH Kearns - Utah Commit
    11. Sky Manu - S Brighton - Undecided (no offers listed)
    12. S.J. Fehoko - S Cottonwood - Undecided (no offers listed)

What is the story on Schultz? We have not had good success keeping local kids away from Notre Dame and Stanford, but it would be nice to get him to replace JakeMurph.

Any other info on the other undecideds would be appreciated. Are we looking at Ola as a running back? What about the others who we haven't offered? Are we still evaluating or have we moved on to other targets?
    Last edited by Applejack; 05-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Let's take an early look at some in-state recruiting. 247sports has their composite state rankings up (they combine a bunch of rankings from across the web). Here is their too early Top 12.

2. Dalton Schultz-TE Bingham - Undecided. Top 4: Stanford, Notre Dame, Utah, UW. (Also has offers from Nebraska, Oklahoma, Cal).

What is the story on Schultz? We have not had good success keeping local kids away from Notre Dame and Stanford. It would be nice to get him to replace JakeMurph.

Any other info on the other undecideds would be appreciated. Are we looking at Ola as a running back? What about the others who we haven't offered? Are we still evaluating or have we moved on to other targets?
    The articles on Korey Rush indicated that he did not yet have an offer from Utah when he committed to ASU. Anybody know why? B/c we didn't have a shot, didn't like him that much, or hadn't gotten around to it?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The articles on Korey Rush indicated that he did not yet have an offer from Utah when he committed to ASU. Anybody know why? B/c we didn't have a shot, didn't like him that much, or hadn't gotten around to it?
    Jarid de Cedar answered that very question: http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post14139 (summary: we didn't like him)

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Read that ASU offered Frison yesterday. Hope he sticks with us.

TE is one of those positions that you like to get, but it's not as essential as other spots. Hope Schultz picks us, but I would rather have a top recruit at pretty much any other position.
    I am especially pleased that we have sealed up the two legit Offensive tackle prospects in the state. That's a position that we have missed with local kids in years past. Any reason to suspect that Frison is wavering?

I love the business of evaluating recruits. Dan Sorensen writes an article in the Des News yesterday and says Jackson Barton is the best in-state prospect in over a decade. 247sports has him as the third best prospect this year.......

Why would a DE/DT pick BYU over Utah?

Inadequate mental capabilities is all I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I love the business of evaluating recruits. Dan Sorensen writes an article in the Des News yesterday and says Jackson Barton is the best in-state prospect in over a decade. 247sports has him as the third best prospect this year.......
    I'll answer my own question:

We didn't offer him.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I'll answer my own question:

We didn't offer him.
    I assume you are referring to Zac Dawe. I would suppose that even if Utah liked him, they figured that Pleasant Grove is a tough place to recruit (Joe Kruger notwithstanding).

I'm more disappointed that Mone picked Michigan over the U. (1) A guy with surefire NFL potential (2) in our own backyard (3) on the heels of getting two D-lineman drafted and one in the top half of the first round.

What is the story on Schultz? We have not had good success keeping local kids away from Notre Dame and Stanford, but it would be nice to get him to replace JakeMurph.

I believe S.J. Fehoko does have a Utah offer, that's according to Scout.com site and an interview he did with them on the UteCast. Landing him could go a long way to landing his younger brother T.J. who will be a highly sought after kid.
    I'm a UteZone member also and they have Jackson Barton ranked #62 player nationally and #1 in Utah

I believe S.J. Fehoko does have a Utah offer, that's according to Scout.com site and an interview he did with them on the UteCast. Landing him could go a long way to landing his younger brother T.J. who will be a highly sought after kid.
    I'm a UteZone member also and they have Jackson Barton ranked #62 player nationally and #1 in Utah
    Thanks for the info on Fehoko. Any relation to V.J.?

I know that Rivals is really high on Barton, much more so than 247. This stuff is all guess work, but I would assume that things will shake out to some sort of consensus over the next year.

RE:

Thanks for the info on Fehoko. Any relation to V.J.?

I know that Rivals is really high on Barton, much more so than 247. This stuff is all guess work, but I would assume that things will shake out to some sort of consensus over the next year.
    ya they are V.J.' cousins. V.J.' little brother Breiden will be a top kid out Hawaii as well in 2015, hopefully all of the Fehoko' follow V.J. to the U

ya they are V.J.' cousins. V.J.' little brother Breiden will be a top kid out Hawaii as well in 2015, hopefully all of the Fehoko' follow V.J. to the U
    Rivals also has SJ as a non-offer thus far. My guess is that no offer has yet been made, but that could be wrong.

The DeezNewz brings it this morning with an update on Schultz and Tolutau:

Schultz, who has also been offered scholarships by national football powers such as Florida, Oklahoma and Stanford, is currently among the top recruiting priorities for Whittingham’s staff. However, it remains to be seen whether the Utah coaches will succeed in convincing him that staying close to home carries more benefits than pursuing out-of-state opportunities.
    Also, East running back Ula Tolutau is another local player coveted by the Utes. Tolutau is a bruising back who carried the East offense as a junior. As a senior, he could prove to be the focus of the most high-profile in-state recruiting battle. Both Utah and BYU are actively pursuing the talented back.

Hasn't the Kaufusi kid from Brighton already committed to BYU? I assume that he has committed there. His uncle who is a friend of mine has told me that is where he is going. He also said that he doesn't have a Utah offer and they haven't shown much interest at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Hasn't the Kaufusi kid from Brighton already committed to BYU? I assume that he has committed there. His uncle who is a friend of mine has told me that is where he is going. He also said that he doesn't have a Utah offer and they haven't shown much interest at all.
    I assume he will end up there (unless Chow works his island magic), but I haven't seen him listed as a BYU commitment anywhere.
    Last edited by Applejack; 05-13-2013 at 07:17 PM.

New commit - Raelon Singleton, WR from Texas. http://utah.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1505930 (free)

A friend of mine played O line for the U in the 70's or 80s; his son plays at East. He said he thinks a lot more polys could head to Wisconsin, like Ola Tolutau. He said Gary A had the great relationship with them both at the u and at USU, and is really mining it. the kids like him a lot.

I read somewhere that Austin K, the qb from Jordan, is likely headed to Wisconsin too. Sounds like we may have burned a bridge with his dad, ala Scott Cate.

A friend of mine played O line for the U in the 70's or 80s; his son plays at East. He said he thinks a lot more polys could head to Wisconsin, like Ola Tolutau. He said Gary A had the great relationship with them both at the u and at USU, and is really mining it. the kids like him a lot.

I read somewhere that Austin K, the qb from Jordan, is likely headed to Wisconsin too. Sounds like we may have burned a bridge with his dad, ala Scott Cate.
    I heard that Austin K's dad played ball at Hawaii? I would be interested in how Utah burned a bridge with him. Not sure if you can share what you know or not at this time. As for Scott Cate, if a bridge was burned, the U avoided a train wreck by having his son go to Okie St.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I heard that Austin K's dad played ball at Hawaii? I would be interested in how Utah burned a bridge with him. Not sure if you can share what you know or not at this time. As for Scott Cate, if a bridge was burned, the U avoided a train wreck by having his son go to Okie St.
    I have zero inside info on Austin K. Just scuttlebutt I heard third or fourth hand somewhere. No idea if it is accurate or not. Which is why I spread it, of course.

I have zero inside info on Austin K. Just scuttlebutt I heard third or fourth hand somewhere. No idea if it is accurate or not. Which is why I spread it, of course.
    Austin K is a 5'10" QB who was fully grown in ninth grade. The kid from Mountain Crest (Kuresa) who went to BYU is as good as Kefentzes or better. Size is the issue there. Not convinced he is a big time college football QB. Most kids would still rather play close to home. Gary A will get a few, but likely no more than Michigan is currently getting.(See Bryan Mone, the best local kids in the class of 2014.)

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Austin K is a 5'10" QB who was fully grown in ninth grade. The kid from Mountain Crest (Kuresa) who went to BYU is as good as Kefentzes or better. Size is the issue there. Not convinced he is a big time college football QB. Most kids would still rather play close to home. Gary A will get a few, but likely no more than Michigan is currently getting.(See Bryan Mone, the best local kids in the class of 2014.)
    The scuttlebutt among the high school kids is that he is two years older too--that his father held him back so he could compete. No idea if true or not, so of course I spread it.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post

If Bryan Mone is the best local kid in the class of 2014, than I am the queen of England.