Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah 2014 Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The scuttlebutt among the high school kids is that he is two years older too--that his father held him back so he could compete. No idea if true or not, so of course I spread it.

This is becoming common. Not the two years but at least one. More and more you are finding kids turning 19 in april, may and June of their senior year. It is becoming more and more common in Utah. It has been happening for a long time in Texas.

I didn't realize the kid was 5'10. For some reason I thought he was 6'0.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    This is becoming common. Not the two years but at least one. More and more you are finding kids turning 19 in april, may and June of their senior year. It is becoming more and more common in Utah. It has been happening for a long time in Texas.

I didn't realize the kid was 5'10. For some reason I thought he was 6'0.
    My son is doing the Kindergarten Redshirt. He was born in early August and we wanted to be the oldest in his class. So he is doing kindergarten at another school and will do kindergarten at the school he should go to next year. His current kindergarten teacher has been pushing us to send him to 1st grade next year because "he might get bored" next year. Yeah... he will be the first kid who was ever bored in schooll
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    If Bryan Mone is the best local kid in the class of 2014, than I am the queen of England.
    Then you are the queen of England. The top three in Utah(Schultz, Mone, and Barton) are interchangeable, imo. Picking the best out of those three is like saying I like Gala apples more than Pacific Rose apples.

Everyone else is a tier below them.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    My son is doing the Kindergarten Redshirt. He was born in early August and we wanted to be the oldest in his class. So he is doing kindergarten at another school and will do kindergarten at the school he should go to next year. His current kindergarten teacher has been pushing us to send him to 1st grade next year because "he might get bored" next year. Yeah... he will be the first kid who was ever bored in schooll
    LOL. Not sure what that Kindergarten teacher is going to do with a bored kid in class. She might be venturing down uncharted territories with that one.

I would have done the same thing as you with an early August birthday. I just get a little surprised with the April and May birthday's when they are held back. My brother was a kindergarten redshirt back in the day. His birthday was towards the end of August and was the actual day of the cutoff for our district. My sports minded father will full on tell everyone that his decision to have my brother being the oldest in his class was 100% driven by sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    LOL. Not sure what that Kindergarten teacher is going to do with a bored kid in class. She might be venturing down uncharted territories with that one.

I would have done the same thing as you with an early August birthday. I just get a little surprised with the April and May birthday's when they are held back. My brother was a kindergarten redshirt back in the day. His birthday was towards the end of August and was the actual day of the cutoff for our district. My sports minded father will full on tell everyone that his decision to have my brother being the oldest in his class was 100% driven by sports.
    Freakomonics would say that it benefits more than just athletics
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

My son is doing the Kindergarten Redshirt. He was born in early August and we wanted to be the oldest in his class. So he is doing kindergarten at another school and will do kindergarten at the school he should go to next year. His current kindergarten teacher has been pushing us to send him to 1st grade next year because "he might get bored" next year. Yeah... he will be the first kid who was ever bored in school
    I have a son who turns 6 this August. We held him back. When we showed up to enroll him in kindergarten about a month ago, we were told that they were going to enroll him in first grade and refused to put him in kindergarten. This is despite the fact that the school and district had allowed August birthdays to be held back forever, and there had never been an announced change in the policy. There was even something deep on the district website that said it was OK. We went toe-to-toe with the district for about a week before they caved. I understand if you're going to have a hard cutoff, and am fine with that, but you better let all of the impacted people know about it at least a year in advance.

A friend of mine played O line for the U in the 70's or 80s; his son plays at East. He said he thinks a lot more polys could head to Wisconsin, like Ola Tolutau. He said Gary A had the great relationship with them both at the u and at USU, and is really mining it. the kids like him a lot.

I read somewhere that Austin K, the qb from Jordan, is likely headed to Wisconsin too. Sounds like we may have burned a bridge with his dad, ala Scott Cate.
    This is an area where Coach A needs to be careful. Going into a program like Wisconsin and their traditions, he may ruffle a few feathers if the turns his back on some of the more established "local" recruiting ties. I'm sure he knows this, but adding a kid here or there on top of what you are doing is great. Turning your back on what has been established and forging a new path often gets you fired (see Rich Rod at Michigan).

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I have a son who turns 6 this August. We held him back. When we showed up to enroll him in kindergarten about a month ago, we were told that they were going to enroll him in first grade and refused to put him in kindergarten. This is despite the fact that the school and district had allowed August birthdays to be held back forever, and there had never been an announced change in the policy. There was even something deep on the district website that said it was OK. We went toe-to-toe with the district for about a week before they caved. I understand if you're going to have a hard cutoff, and am fine with that, but you better let all of the impacted people know about it at least a year in advance.
    We had the reverse problem. Our youngest daughter was born Sept. 3. Because she was the youngest, she always played with older kids, and we wanted to start her in kindergarten the year she turned 5, because we thought she was ready and we were ready to get her out of the house. But the hard cut off was Sept. 1, and we had to wait a year. We could have put her in first grade at that point, but we didn't. Turned out to be the best thing for us. I would even recommend it more so for a boy, and nothing to do with athletics. Loss of confidence and self esteem when you are always the youngest. Need a chance to be a alpha dog once in a while.
    Last edited by concerned; 05-21-2013 at 10:16 AM.

We had the reverse problem. Our youngest daughter was born Sept. 3. Because she was the youngest, she always played with older kids, and we wanted to start her in kindergarten the year she turned 5, because we thought she was ready and we were ready to get her out of the house. But the hard cut off was Sept. 1, and we had to wait a year. We could have put her in first grade at that point, but we didn't. Turned out to be the best thing for us. I would even recommend it more so for a boy, and nothing to do with athletics. Loss of confidence and self esteem when you are always the youngest. Need a chance to be a alpha dog once in a while.
    It's interesting because I've had some experience with these issues with my oldest who is a March birthday, so he was one of the younger kids in high school. He grew very late. He was never on the radar recruiting wise because he obtained his size when he was a junior in high school. It turned out ok for him, but I still cringe when I watch fully grown 8th graders play sports against kids who have not reached puberty. It is ridiculous to watch, and to be honest, dangerous.
    Freakanomics makes some really good points about this.

I have a little one who is a May birthday. I started him early and often wonder if I made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Then you are the queen of England. The top three in Utah(Schultz, Mone, and Barton) are interchangeable, imo. Picking the best out of those three is like saying I like Gala apples more than Pacific Rose apples.

Everyone else is a tier below them.
    Barton is the best prospect in this state in years. He is on a tier of his own.

Barton is the best prospect in this state in years. He is on a tier of his own.
    So you are saying that you like gala apples. Solid choice
    André Gide

So you are saying that you like gala apples. Solid choice
    I am going with what the majority have said, it being the obvious crapshoot that it is.

I am going with what the majority have said, it being the obvious crapshoot that it is.
    Which majority? Rivals favors Barton, Scout favors Mone. I don't know where 24/7 stands. There is plenty of dissenting opinion on this. I think Barton is more valuable because he plays a premium position that Utah typically struggles to get top tier talent at, but that didn't necessarily make him a better prospect. Mone looks and plays like a guy that could anchor the center of Alabama's defensive line. Shultz has offers from the who's who of college football. The three of them are miles ahead of the rest of the state.
    André Gide

Which majority? Rivals favors Barton, Scout favors Mone. I don't know where 24/7 stands. There is plenty of dissenting opinion on this. I think Barton is more valuable because he plays a premium position that Utah typically struggles to get top tier talent at, but that didn't necessarily make him a better prospect. Mone looks and plays like a guy that could anchor the center of Alabama's defensive line. Shultz has offers from the who's who of college football. The three of them are miles ahead of the rest of the state.
    247 likes Mone. And they just moved Frison up to number 2 in the state! I hope we can hold on to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    247 likes Mone. And they just moved Frison up to number 2 in the state! I hope we can hold on to him.
    I don't worry about Frison. His uncle is Jason Hooks(who was the person who announced his commitment on Utezone), and we are soooooo far ahead of everyone else in his recruitment.
    André Gide

This is my approach too. My son is a late August birthday. He's already 99% in height, he's also only turning 3 in August. Please let his size be an outlier in our genetic pool (I'm 5'11" and his mom is 5'4" and half Japanese). Knowing my luck he'll be 6'4" 230 and interested in school plays and tap dancing (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Sounds like USC is coming after Frison.............

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    It would be nice to see another Utah recruit/commit tell USC to FO.

I don't worry about Frison. His uncle is Jason Hooks(who was the person who announced his commitment on Utezone), and we are soooooo far ahead of everyone else in his recruitment.
    Consider me worried!

It is very nice to have kids committed who are highly regarded by other programs and being pursued by other programs. It is a much better situation then having kids committed who nobody else is interested in. However, it will result in some de-committments as the year progresses. Hopefully we will be able to hang on to the Barton and Frison kids as they appear to be the prototype offensive tackles that could man the line for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It is very nice to have kids committed who are highly regarded by other programs and being pursued by other programs. It is a much better situation then having kids committed who nobody else is interested in. However, it will result in some de-committments as the year progresses. Hopefully we will be able to hang on to the Barton and Frison kids as they appear to be the prototype offensive tackles that could man the line for years to come.
    Agreed. I don't get hung up on decommits, especially to the likes of USC. But I really want to keep Frison.

I'm not worried about Barton. He's a die-hard Ute and committed early even though he knew he would get better offers. Frison, on the other hand, is a late bloomer who we nabbed early. Those types are easier to lose.

Agreed. I don't get hung up on decommits, especially to the likes of USC. But I really want to keep Frison.

I'm not worried about Barton. He's a die-hard Ute and committed early even though he knew he would get better offers. Frison, on the other hand, is a late bloomer who we nabbed early. Those types are easier to lose.
    I just hope there is some sense of loyalty with this kid.

Apparently Frison just picked up an offer from Oklahoma. Hope we can hold on.

New commit out of Texas. CB-Bobby Hartzog. He is from the same hs as Hipolito Corporan, CB from the 2013 class.

He was a Houston commit that Scalley was able to flip last night.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...Hartzog-148192
    André Gide

New commit out of Texas. CB-Bobby Hartzog. He is from the same hs as Hipolito Corporan, CB from the 2013 class.

He was a Houston commit that Scalley was able to flip last night.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...Hartzog-148192
    Even though we beat out UH and Lamar for his services, I always give an enthusiastic thumbs up to any defensive recruit from Texas.

Even though we beat out UH and Lamar for his services, I always give an enthusiastic thumbs up to any defensive recruit from Texas.
    Agreed. It never hurts to sign kids from Texas and it helps that several of these kids have success at the college level when they sign with Utah. That bodes well for future recruiting, as kids see how their fellow Texans are better players when they leave Utah than when they first entered the program.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

1. Brian Mone-DT Highland - Michigan Commit
    2. Dalton Schultz-TE Bingham - Undecided. Top 4: Stanford, Notre Dame, Utah, UW. (Also has offers from Nebraska, Oklahoma, Cal).
    3. Jackson Barton-OT Brighton - Utah Commit
    4. Allan Havili-DT Tooele - Utah Commit
    5. Kenyon Frison-OT Granger - Utah Commit
    6. Korey Rush-DE East - ASU Commit
    7. Zac Dawe- DE Pleasant Grove - BYU Commit
    8. Ola Tolutau - RB East - Wisconsin Commit
    9. Isaiah Kaufusi - LB Brighton - Undecided (Offers from BYU, Utah, USU, Hawaii)
    10. Amone Finau - ATH Kearns - Utah Commit
    11. Sky Manu - S Brighton - Undecided (no offers listed)
    12. S.J. Fehoko - S Cottonwood - Undecided (no offers listed)
    Update on the top 12 Utah kids. Tolutau signed with Wisconsin and Kaufusi received a Utah offer. Kauhauhau and Anderson are hitting Utah hard, but methinks that Wisky fans won't be too excited if the best athletes they get from the beehive state are fullbacks. I thought that Kaufusi was a Cougar for sure, but maybe our coaches think that they can get him and he is worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Spending a ton of effort on Utah to only land a couple of 3 star players is not a recipe for success in the Big10.
    Nope. I hope that the coaches realize this and leave our damn state alone!

It looks like East is the new Cottonwood - sending kids out of state, even if they aren't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Good. Let the other states figure out that they are just getting fancy eastside pretty boys. Go Panthers!
    Seems someone hasn't checked the SL School districts boundaries lately

Sounds like Austin Kafentzsis is headed to Wisconsin with Gary Anderson. I certainly didn't think we would land him.