Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear Down on the Curtain of Distraction- Arizona Road Swing

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I just watched my recording of the game. We did make it a little too interesting at the end, primarily by poor free-throw shooting in crunch time. But we got the win, and will hope the free-throw shooting gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I read something about the practice after the game in Tuscan, someone asked about the poor three point shooting. Larry motioned over to his players and replied, why do you think they're shooting three pointers right now? Then today we go 8-16. I look forward to Kuzma's enhanced free throw shooting from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I just watched my recording of the game. We did make it a little too interesting at the end, primarily by poor free-throw shooting in crunch time. But we got the win, and will hope the free-throw shooting gets better.
    I think they should change the way the keep free-throw statistics and count the second free-throw of a 1-1 as a miss if the player misses the front-end. I think we missed the front-end of 3 or 4 yesterday. Kuzma did it twice in crunch time.

Only six players had at least ten minutes yesterday (with Barefield at ten exactly). I think this is what we'll see going forward, barring foul trouble. The bench is just not there.

Rawson was good against the awful teams early on this season, but he just isn't a string enough defender our rebounder to get minutes, especially when his shot isn't going in. I wanted to see Jokl against zona when Collette and Johnson were both out. With Rawson, we were just giving free points to Ristic every time down.

Yesterday was a 10K. Hopefully that was part of the FT struggles, late.

I'd like to think the shallow bench is a result of matchups, but in Rawson's case, he's definitely adjusting to greater length and athleticism in the PAC.

Watched some of CU vs U of A - the Buffs played better than they did against us. They won't be an easy out in Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

I'd like to think the shallow bench is a result of matchups, but in Rawson's case, he's definitely adjusting to greater length and athleticism in the PAC.

Watched some of CU vs U of A - the Buffs played better than they did against us. They won't be an easy out in Boulder.
    One of the all time great back door covers. AZ-11 is up 12 with the ball with 24 seconds left. The Finn takes the inbound pass coast to coast and misses an uncontested dunk. Colo takes the long rebound and makes a 3 to cover.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

One of the weirdest things I've ever seen as a spectator sports fan is how Barefield dropped 35 points in his debut game (as for all intents and purposes (except for eligibility) a red shirt freshman) and then promptly was relegated to a ten minutes a game single digit ppg reserve. I'm really confused about that.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    One of the weirdest things I've ever seen as a spectator sports fan is how Barefield dropped 35 points in his debut game (as for all intents and purposes (except for eligibility) a red shirt freshman) and then promptly was relegated to a ten minutes a game single digit ppg reserve. I'm really confused about that.
    The problem so far is that he hasn't contributed much outside of scoring (colorado game a notable exception). So when his shot isn't falling he doesn't provide much, whereas others have other pieces of their game that can be helpful even when the shots aren't falling.

He needs to buy in to being a playmaking guard. He is very talented but needs to improve some things, including his body language.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Only six players had at least ten minutes yesterday (with Barefield at ten exactly). I think this is what we'll see going forward, barring foul trouble. The bench is just not there.

Rawson was good against the awful teams early on this season, but he just isn't a string enough defender our rebounder to get minutes, especially when his shot isn't going in. I wanted to see Jokl against zona when Collette and Johnson were both out. With Rawson, we were just giving free points to Ristic every time down.
    I like Rawson as a fifteen minutes a game backup at the 4. Like you said he is not a pac12 5 and kuzma at the 3 has not been a workable option to this point. And there just isn't enough minutes at the 4. He might be the best passer on the team.

I guess I'm saying I still like him as a role player. He really drops off in effectiveness out of that role though.

I finally got a chance to watch the two Arizona games yesterday. I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing.

Collette is a find. Keeping him out of foul trouble is key. I expect we'll see more and more zone.

Kuzma has to continue to be the wild card. He stepped up and had a great game against ASU after a subpar performance against Arizona. He needs to be more consistent.

Barefield needs to learn how to play defense if he wants to get minutes.

Daniels is showing me a lot right now. He didn't back down against Arizona. Hopefully he will be able to keep this level of play up through March.

Zamora has continued to shoot well from outside.

We are one or two playmakers away from being a really good team. Barefield and Daniels both show the capability of being those guys. Hopefully Larry can continue to develop them to the point where they're really clicking in March.